shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hi, everything I know about diamonds I''ve learned from pricescope, but that still isn''t very much!

My fiance suprised me with an engagement ring and ever since I got it I''ve wanted to know more about it. I know that he looked at several stones and specifically picked this one and had the setting custom made to fit it, but the stone doesn''t seem to have any papers and for some reason he declined the jeweler''s offer to have the ring appraised.

How do I find out more about my stone? He *thinks* its 0.6something, E/F VS1 and it clearly has some fluorescence. Can I have it appraised without taking it out of the ring? How much can I learn by having it looked at in the setting? How much should a basic appraisal cost?

Thanks for humoring a newbie!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congratulations!

There''s a listing of local appraisers in the top menu under resources.
It''s possible for a skilled appraiser to tell quite a lot from a mounted stone. Most of us do most of our work this way. Different appraisers charge different rates but all will be happy to discuss it with you if you call them up.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I checked out the appraiser resource, but there isn''t anyone listed in my area, and we''re dedicated urbanites without a car!

Does anyone know of a reputable appraiser in the Boston area?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Boston has some terrific appraisers.

https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers_MA.aspx

Several of them are regular contributors here and most have had clients who have posted about their experiences with them. You can search the forum for comments by and about them by typing the appraisers name in the search box near the top right corner of the page.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hi,
Thanks, it''s not obvious from the PS page that most of those people have offices in Boston, that''s why I missed it the first time. You really have to dig into their personal pages to figure that out. I''ve contacted one and hope to hear back soon. Is there anything in particular I should ask an appraiser, or is anyone listed by PS probably pretty good?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results