shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

craigeebach

Rough_Rock
Hello, great resource. I'm ready to purchase a diamond ring. I have a few concerns I'd like to share. I'm buying an emerald cut so it is important to me to see the diamond since, as David Atlas points out, there is no uniform standard, and despite the AGA chart, class 1A & 1B emerald cuts are rare. Emerald cut selection sounds as if it is more an art than science (even more so than brilliant cuts).

I have determined through this forum that I will most likely be taking the ring to Marty Haske for an appraisal (although this post makes me nervous https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/very-confused-please-advise-quick.1249/ .

I'm wondering if there is any benefit to contacting him BEFORE making a purchase. Is this ever done? Since he is exposed to so many consumers who have had various experiences in the Boston area, his advice would probably be very useful. Then again, this could be dangerous, should I not follow his advice! Just wondering what the sentiment of experienced diamond folks are w/ respect to this issue.

Here are some general appraisal questions I have:
-What is the main reason for an appraisal after the diamond is purchased? Is it for insurance, or for self reassurance?

-Does the diamond need to be loose to be appraised? I would like the place where I purchase to set it for me. Will they let me buy it loose, have it appraised, then bring it back for setting?

-Subsequently, will diamond retailers take back a ring if the appraiser gives a negative review?

I'm in boston & have seen several postings that mention boston retailers including, ADCO, Hefez & Sons, & Robinson's. A friend of mine also recently got a princess cut from DeScenza's. I'm in Newton and there are several small shops here, including Alex & Co. which I pass everdyay on my way to work. I have NO IDEA which of these stores to check out. Anyone have any advice?

Thank you very much for any input on these many issues.

Craig

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Check out every store you can. Inquire of well known Internet dealers, too.

Marty Haske is a friend of mine and he is well known for his outspoken character. He speaks his mind and is a highly educated gemologist. He is no diplomat, but he has my trust that what he says is probably dead right. He does not wrap his opinions in sweetness sometimes. I try to take a little softer approach, but the end results would probably be very similar.

You will find that some Internet vendors go to great lengths to find you fancy shaped diamonds that have no problems. They do this because it is way more difficult to shop for fancy shapes than rounds. Since you don't see Internet stones in advance, the vendors try to make sure you will like what they offer. Stores use the more common method of showing you a few diamonds and asking you, the uninformed consumer, to make the decision. It is a traditional appraoch, but not such a great idea in these days of increased caution in buying.

Why not speak with Marty Haske first? I'd say, give him a call and see if you feel comfortable with his approach and answers. If not, give me a call. I'm not as close by, but we have a lot of experience in these shopping dilemmas.

craigeebach

Rough_Rock
Dave, Thank you very much for the thoughtful reply. That is very good advice.

Regards,
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results