shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal on this Sapphire Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NativeSpirit

Rough_Rock
I was wondering if I could get a few questions answered here.

I inherited this ring from my mother when she passed...She had inherited it from her sister. I''m have no idea where she got it.

I think this ring is old but how old, I have no idea. I know absolutely nothing about sapphires, but am trying to educate myself on them. I did take it to the Antique Roadshow, and was told it''s worth about $800.00, but not how old it could be.

Today, I took it to a store here in town, where I was told it''s only worth about $17.00 for the gold. Would it be worth it to me to get a professional appraisal, and if so, how would I go about finding a trustworthy one, and how much would it cost me to do so?

Thanks,
NS

nsring75.jpg

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
If you have the funds, and want to know - you should definately get it appraised! I'm sure it's worth more than $17 - especially if the Antiques Roadshow says so!

I got my engagement ring appraised, and he charged by the hour. He's a very well respected (and I think rather pricey) appraiser - he charged $175/hour. I could have gotten it done cheaper.... but, I knew this guy is trusted.

I'm not sure where you're located, but, it may be cheaper around there. Tell people where you're located, and they may be able to recommend someone.

Edited to add: While I was at the appraiser, I had him take a look at a bracelet I got from my finacee (not a formal appraisal), and found out it is worth somewhere in the $1500-$2000 range!!!

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
One thing to keep in mind is that an antique pruchaser will see it as a piece of history and a work of art. That is why you were given price "A".

To the jeweler, it is simply a few grams of gold and an old,tired sapphire(It looks abraded to me in the pic anyways) that he can't resell easily in his fancy showcase. He gives you a price accordingly for it's weight to him in gold which is "B".

It's not unlike like those that look at a painting and see a priceless work of art contrasted against those who look at the same picture and see 15 dollars worth of paint and canvas. It's a paradox.

One thing is certain however, never sell jewelery to a jeweler as scrap gold if you can find someone who will appreciate it's artistic and historical value. You now know who will pay more and why
2.gif

An appraisal in my area runs between 50 and 75 dollars flat.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Sell it to the Antques Road Show Expert who told you that value.

That is, providing you do want to sell it

If you want an appraisal - get a real expert.

Rockdoc

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dear Roc. Doc,

Isn''t the antique roadshow appraisal good enough? If an antique jewelry dealer appraised it, it seems that would be more than adequate. I don''t see any reason to go to spend more money. I''m having a little trouble undestanding the appraisal business. While I have just sent 2 rubies to Richard S to have looked at for a complete workup, heated , unheated, treated by oil, ect, including an appraisal, I expect to pay more than a simple appraisal. But $150-175 for an appraisal is too much in my humble opinion.. I get 2 pictures, a beautful report for $60.00. The jeweler I used was so disparaging when he heard I purchased them on the internet he left me with no desire to return to him. He appraised three pieces for me and the only one I am uncertain of was a pair of diamond earrings I purchased for a niece''s 21st birthday. I thought is was too low. But i only got the appraisal so she would take care of them if she had an idea of what they are worth.
Perhaps you might give us a working definition of an insurance appraisal vs an estate appraisal. The antiques roadshow gave their definition by saying an insurance appraisal would be the high end of retail.
I know you get this question so much, but maybe you could try again.
Thanks
Annette

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results