shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal of set stone - make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Lilsnarfer

Rough_Rock
Hi, for purposes of verification (as opposed to insurance) I''ve seen some differing opinions on getting an appraisal of a set stone versus loose. Due to some time constraints, I will not have the luxury of getting a stone appraisal before it is set in the ring. Will an appraiser be able to look at the stone in the ring and determine if it matches the GIA cert (e.g., as to clarity, cut, etc.)? Seems like the prongs might get in the way (4 prong setting) of making a full verification? But maybe getting it appraised after it is in the ring would be good in case any damage happened during the setting process?

Thanks!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 3:06:36 PM
Author:Lilsnarfer
Hi, for purposes of verification (as opposed to insurance) I've seen some differing opinions on getting an appraisal of a set stone versus loose. Due to some time constraints, I will not have the luxury of getting a stone appraisal before it is set in the ring. Will an appraiser be able to look at the stone in the ring and determine if it matches the GIA cert (e.g., as to clarity, cut, etc.)? Seems like the prongs might get in the way (4 prong setting) of making a full verification? But maybe getting it appraised after it is in the ring would be good in case any damage happened during the setting process?

Thanks!
Yes an experienced appraiser will be able to verify the diamond and give you an appraisal as mounting permits. One of the appraisers here can probably give you better advice!

Lilsnarfer

Rough_Rock
Cool, that will help put my mind at ease, although I am not that concerned.

By the way, I like the cat avatar you have going on. The cat looks like it has a ton of personality. I have a persian blue with more personality than is good for him, sometimes.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/25/2009 3:14:13 PM
Author: Lilsnarfer
Cool, that will help put my mind at ease, although I am not that concerned.

By the way, I like the cat avatar you have going on. The cat looks like it has a ton of personality. I have a persian blue with more personality than is good for him, sometimes.
Thanks! I have Persians too, they are wonderful cats. One in particular is a red and he is so spoiled and such a character!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results