shape
carat
color
clarity

appraisal of a family ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bird02

Rough_Rock
I am a coplete novice when it comes to diamonds, but I have recently inherited my grandmothers ring. I want to have it appraised for insurance purposes. I noticed a difference of opinions on what someone should pay for an appraisal and I know nothing about certifications. What type of appraisal will serve my needs?
read.gif

MichaelF

Rough_Rock
I'm going to have my stone appraised on Thursday. If you go to the appraisers link you can find an independent appraiser that will work with you. Not sure where you live, but I found one within 10 miles of where I'm sitting. It will cost about $200, they will run several tests, map the stone, take measurements, run it through a variety of tests, take pictures and give you a full retail / replacement value. In short, everything you need for insurance and more... My suggest is to search for an appraiser using the link above...

Michael

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
We charge from $75 to $125 for the first item of an appraisal. It is dependent on expertise required and the time we spend.... We can do this through the mail if you not close enough to come in.

sethramsey

Rough_Rock
for appraisals like this one (i have a similar) do you have to take the diamond out of the setting to be accurate or can the set ring (assuming you want it to stay intact) be appraised w/the diamond part of the appraisal being accurate (or pretty close)?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There should be no reason to remove a diamond from a setting for an insurance type appraisal. When it comes to an inherited piece, close to an accurate color and clarity is sufficient for the insurance description.

If there is a legitimate reason for exactness, then occasionally a diamond is removed for more correct grading. It is a rather rare circumstance on jewelry someone already has owned for a long period of time.

Some appraisers, due to lack of experience, feel more need to remove diamonds to increase their accuracy. It is understandable, but not at all good for the mounting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results