shape
carat
color
clarity

appraisal issue and importance of laser inscription

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Have made few calls re appraisal of loose stone. Spoke to one appraiser who has been in the business for over 30 years.( in Canada) Here what I found out very interesting: ( I called just with appraisal question and he was listed in that category)
He relly was encouraging me to get a stone from him ( he would get me excellent stone at a good price ) Said he just got a sheet with the specs of the stones to be cut ( in Belgium ) and gave me all diamentions. When I asked how would one know exact diamentions , carat , clarity etc before cutting it? he said they have lots of experience and can predict exactly before the stone is actually cut? He then asked me what I had in mind for the stone ( at that point I went on to see where this goes ) and gave me few that he had in stock gave me only color, carat and clarity. I asked about the cut, symetry and polish.Here what was very interesting.
He said its very good , then he proceeded to tell me that it goes like this: " they are very good, good, fair and poor that how it goes,
so that means that it is excellent" I then asked if they do not put it as excellent in this case? He said they are almost impossible to find all excellent across. Then he said I should laser inscribed the stone I buy so it can''t be switched. There is no additional cost for it. I am not sure about the importance of laser inscription of gia nr? Any help is much apprecieated. I am sure very glad to have been with all of you here for some time now and did not rush into anything. Thanks to all.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

For starters, that isn’t an appraisal, that’s a sales pitch. If this ‘appraiser’ is listed in the database here, report them to the Admin and they probably won’t be here long.

29.gif

Anyone who can look at a rough stone and predict the exact outcome before a cutter touches it has a very lucrative skill. He’s wasting his time as a retailer. He should work for one of the mining companies or cutting houses who where he could make some serious money. They devote big money and major brainpower trying to do exactly this with decent, but decidedly less than absolute results.

As I’m sure you know, the GIA grading scales for cut, polish and symmetry all use the same words. Excellent is the top category of each. How hard it is to find an XXX depends on where you look I suppose. Apparently it’s hard in his store. Check the database at the top of the page titled ‘pricescope your diamond’ and search for stones with your favorite specs. Double click on the price column header and it’ll sort by price from top to bottom. Look for stones with GIA paper near the top and chances are that every one of them will meet this spec. If you’ve got mainstream kinds of requirements there are probably several available on any given day.

Laser inscription is handy, inexpensive and reasonably useful for recognizing your particular diamond. For many GIA graded stones it comes as part of the bundle with the other lab services and with others it’s necessary to pay a little extra. It won’t prevent anyone from stealing it but it does make it easier to tell if it’s been stolen and sometimes it helps in the recovery process.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for that (he''s not listed anywhere here so no worries.) Well said in your reply.I did not think that anyone could predict exact outcome of the stone just about to be cut.I can''t even predict how the turkey will come our B 4 cutting it? About the laser inscription how much time do you think it would take ,do you know approximate cost.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It takes about 2 minutes and should cost under $50 (the equipment is quite expensive and the fee has more to do with that than the time to do each job). The tricky part is getting it into the hands of someone who has the appropriate tool. There are lots of appraisers, labs and others who offer this service but it may involve shipping if there doesn't happen to be one in your neighborhood.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks I was thinking of GIA doing the job if possible. Also I posted the diamentions here (will try to paste it again ) for your opinion.
How would you evalute this one 1.43 , F, vvs2 , cut symetry and polish exc ( GIA)
D 61.1 , T 56, Crown a 34.5, Pav a 40.8
Thanks a million.
sorry forgot it scored 1.2

so what do you think?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Remember Johnny Carson when he did the CARMAC sketches?

Maybe he holds the rough stone up to his head and know the proportional,clarity color, resultant weight and cut grade result.

Appraisers, should you choose to be one, shouldn''t be attempting to sell a stone to you directly, when you''ve called about getting an appraisal. A professional appraiser who is INDEPENDENT, needs to not jump back and forth over the fence between being Independent and being a seller.

Rockdoc

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Scarleta,

I’m sure GIA will be thrilled to have your money.

Sorry, I don’t evaluate stones without looking at them although there are others here who are less restrained than I. If you don''t get an answer fairly quickly, try posting a new thread with a title that matches the question a little better.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
thanks...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Scarleta, I would proceed with extreme caution. An appraiser is not suppose to try to sell you stuff, as far as I know.

It sounds to me like you''d be buying a cat-in-a-sack, so to speak. Cutting is an art form - how do you know you''ll get a nice stone? If this cutter doesn''t cut "Excellent"''s, what does that say about the cutter? There are a good number of GIA "Excellent" and AGS "Ideal" stones out there, so it sounds like this guy is trying to BS you. And what about the whole conflict-diamonds thing - can you be sure these aren''t "blood diamonds"?

This sounds pretty fishy to me....

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
it sure sounds very fishy that is why I posted it here, As far as dealing with him no thanks. Totally agree and also he told me very good " it means excellent you know" that is what he actually told me...

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not deal with an appraiser that sells stone.
Sounds like a conflict of interest to me.
It doesn't mean he/she IS dishonest, but it just doesn't sit right with me.

I used to be very intent that my diamond had a laser inscription.
Then I learned anyone could get anything inscribed onto any diamond, and my inscription could be easily polished off.
To me this ruined the value of a laser inscription as a security feature.

Now I just learn to recognize the inclusions and measure the dimensions of my stone.

If someone is dishonest enough to swap a stone a laser inscription may not stop them.

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Had no idea that it could be polished off... will keep it in mind thanks for that.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 5:17:57 PM
Author: RockDoc
Remember Johnny Carson when he did the CARMAC sketches?
Rock, that''s Carnack.

Also, re the inscription...although anyone car hijacking professional could get into a locked car and drive it away pdq...I''d still lock it. Easy first protection to anyone with the idea, and maybe without the commitment to nab that particular car. Ditto for the inscription of a diamond, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results