shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal I don''t understand

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I had a ring appraised a few months ago and the guy that gave me the info when I picked it up was only filling in for the jeweler that did the appraisal. I believe the man that gave me the information was his son and he was filling in because his father was sick (?). Anyway, he didn''t really know what the numbers meant and I was wondering if someone here could tell me what they mean. I''ve never seen an appraisal only with numbers like these.

The diamonds in the ring were described as:

Cut and proportion grade of melee is "1".
Color grade is "2".
Clarity grade is "5" (for some reason that doesn''t sound good...but I could be wrong.
33.gif
)

It still appraised much better than I had expected.

Thanks so much for any help you can give.
1.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I am assuming that the appraiser was using the AGS system of grading.

In all categories, 0 is the best, and each subsequent grade is one number higher.

For example, in color, D = 0, E = 1, F = 2, etc.
In clarity, IF = 0, VVS1 = 1, VVS2 = 2, VS1 = 3, VS2 = 4, SI1 = 5, etc.
In cut, 0 is the best, and 1 means very good.

So you''ve got an F SI1 stone with a very good cut. That''s not bad news at all!

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Oh! Thank you so much for that information, Phoenixgirl! I feel better now that I understand it
9.gif

Yay!
36.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe the numbers correspond to AGS''s grading system ? There must be some note on the appraisal about what those grades mean, otherwise wouldn''t the paper be useless?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results