shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sll1031

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I have started the diamond search. We are working with a jeweler in NYC who is searching for 2 ct. (approx) round diamonds for us. Before we commit 100% to buying the diamond I want to get it appraised. How does this usually work? And does anyone have suggestions for an appraiser in NYC? Do we put a deposit down and then take the diamond to be appraised? Or do we reach an agreement contingent upon an accurate appraisal?

Thanks for your help!!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2006 11:11:50 AM
Author:sll1031
My boyfriend and I have started the diamond search. We are working with a jeweler in NYC who is searching for 2 ct. (approx) round diamonds for us. Before we commit 100% to buying the diamond I want to get it appraised. How does this usually work? And does anyone have suggestions for an appraiser in NYC? Do we put a deposit down and then take the diamond to be appraised? Or do we reach an agreement contingent upon an accurate appraisal?

Thanks for your help!!

I wouold suppose this depends on the policies of the selling jeweler. The seller may require you to pay in full rather than just leave a deposit.

Make sure you have an unconditional "no questions asked" right to a refund, limited to a reasonable period of time, if you have to "front" the money, and pay with a credit card.

Look around at the seller''s location for any signs posted regarding refunds. If you see a "No Refunds - Credit Only" or NO Refunds sign, I''d find a different seller who doesn''t have such restricted policies.

Additionally, if you are required to sign anything, read it very carefully. Many sales slips are regarded as contracts, and if you sign it you are bound by whatever is written on either the front of back of the form. If the limiitation are in light grey ink that you can barely read, find someone else.

There are some appraisers listed in the resources link at the top of the forum page.

Check the apprasiers list and practice "appraising the appraiser" carefully.

Rockdoc

DBM

Shiny_Rock
one other idea to throw out is you can make an appointment with one of the labs in the district and go with the accompaniment of the dealer to have it appraised, if he''s willing to do that.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Actually, taking off from Daniel's idea...I might be very interested to consider the services of EGL USA in New York, but maybe especially without the accompaniment of the vendor. Just bring it by yourself. From looking at their web site, on the face of it, they offer consumer appraisal services, and could be available to you...bringing ostensibly high expertise to the task.

If this proves out, they have offices not only in NYC, but also LA, Vancouver & Toronto.

sll1031

Rough_Rock
But I should definitely get an appraisal before the purchase is final, correct?? I want to make sure what I''m being told (color, cut, clarity, etc.) is accurately represented.

DBM

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/3/2006 4:30:49 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Actually, taking off from Daniel''s idea...I might be very interested to consider the services of EGL USA in New York, but maybe especially without the accompaniment of the vendor. Just bring it by yourself. From looking at their web site, on the face of it, they offer consumer appraisal services, and could be available to you...bringing ostensibly high expertise to the task.

If this proves out, they have offices not only in NYC, but also LA, Vancouver & Toronto.
let me clarify. the vendor accompanies the customer to the EGLUSA lobby room (so that he feels comfortable in knowing where the diamond that hasn''t been paid for is)... the customers go into a private room with the appraiser and have it appraised while the vendor sits on the couch and reads the most recent copy of the national jeweler :)

4themrs

Rough_Rock
there are several threads that you may want to perform a search in PS. Also, I would do an online search of companies in the diamond district. I have had a couple of good experience with a few companies there if you want me to forward you their info?
do you live in the NYC area?

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Daniel,

In your scenario, does the contact from EGL USA recognize you? Don''t you see this as a potential problem for the customer? Yeah, better maybe than a kick in the pants, but if the diamond buyer can instead walk the diamond over there, having instead paid you for it first, and then brings it over to EGL USA, knowing they can get a refund from you if they want...this is a preferred way, I think.

Also, 4themrs...

Date: 12/3/2006 5:31:38 PM
Author: 4themrs
I have had a couple of good experience with a few companies there if you want me to forward you their info?
do you live in the NYC area?
We''d all like to be privy to your good experience, I''m sure.

Also, if you''re reading this about EGL USA...does the idea interest you that they could be used as your appraiser? You can read more about them here, too.

sll1031

Rough_Rock
4themrs: could you please share your recommendations? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results