shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

help911

Rough_Rock
I am getting ready to propose to my girlfriend, and I''ve spent months looking for the perfect diamond. I finally settled on one from Blue Nile. When it came, I took it to our local family jeweler to verify the stone and get an additional appraisal. They claim the stone is not the quality I have paid for. It''s from the Blue Nile Signature collection, so it has the additional GCAL certificate. The jeweler claims that it''s a grade lower on both color and clarity (i.e., H and SI1)...details on my diamond below. I''m at such a loss right now because I have saved for this ring for years, and I want it to be perfect. I read online that the AGSL is possibly not as strict on color, but it should have been the same on clarity. The local jewelers are GIA trained. Is the price I paid reasonable? Who should I trust?

These are the details:

Round brilliant "Blue Nile Signature Ideal" cut
2.16 carats (8.34 - 8.37 x 5.10mm)
G color
VS2 clarity
Table 56%
Depth 61%
Ideal polish and symmetry
Thin to medium, faceted
No fluorescence
Pointed culet
Price for diamond $29,947

The AGS certificate is 0008771209 if that helps.

Thanks for any help!!

- Confused in Texas
23.gif

help911

Rough_Rock
In case it helps, this is the link to the stone on the website which has the AGSL and GCAL reports (stone is not available for purchase obviously because it''s in my house!).

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-signature-ideal-cut-g-color-vs2-clarity_LD01127957

One last thing, the jeweler claims the stone is only worth between $22K and $26K, which seems awfully low, but I guess is based on his belief that it''s only an H/SI1 stone.

Thanks once again!

blastdoor

Shiny_Rock
most of the people here would suggest you bring the stone to an independent appraiser to have it looked at... meaning someone who is not selling diamonds or associated with any jeweler who might want to try to sell you a diamond...

and i agree with them...

you can use this to find one in your area (thanks Lorelei, from whom I learn this
2.gif
)...

hopes this is of reference value to you...
21.gif

ETA: plus personally I think you can trust an AGS cert, they, along with GIA, are two of the most respected grading labs around... but at that price (for the diamond) you can never be too careful, so I really do suggest you get the diamond independently appraised...
21.gif

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Yup--ditto blastdoor. You need an independent appraisal.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/20/2009 8:06:35 PM
Author:help911
I am getting ready to propose to my girlfriend, and I've spent months looking for the perfect diamond. I finally settled on one from Blue Nile. When it came, I took it to our local family jeweler to verify the stone and get an additional appraisal. They claim the stone is not the quality I have paid for. It's from the Blue Nile Signature collection, so it has the additional GCAL certificate. The jeweler claims that it's a grade lower on both color and clarity (i.e., H and SI1)...details on my diamond below. I'm at such a loss right now because I have saved for this ring for years, and I want it to be perfect. I read online that the AGSL is possibly not as strict on color, but it should have been the same on clarity. The local jewelers are GIA trained. Is the price I paid reasonable? Who should I trust?

These are the details:

Round brilliant 'Blue Nile Signature Ideal' cut
2.16 carats (8.34 - 8.37 x 5.10mm)
G color
VS2 clarity
Table 56%
Depth 61%
Ideal polish and symmetry
Thin to medium, faceted
No fluorescence
Pointed culet
Price for diamond $29,947

The AGS certificate is 0008771209 if that helps.

Thanks for any help!!

- Confused in Texas
23.gif
Sour grapes because they didn't get the sale? Possibly?
Some brick and mortar stores welcome the opportunity to have you as a customer for future purchases,
and others just resent any form of competition.
Just my humble opinion.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

help911

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the tips. I''ll definitely have an independent appraisal. Based on the numbers at least, does this stone seem good? It is SO expensive, but she''s worth it :)

help911

Rough_Rock
Thanks again everyone!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Help, where are you?

From what you''ve described, you''ve got a beautiful diamond, cherry color & clarity, and I''d definitely believe the certificate, right now, over a jeweler who didn''t get your business. I didn''t bother to run the HCA because to my way of thinking, a zero for light performance trumps whatever HCA would say, anyway. As for the valuation...this comes the closest on the search by cut board, so I''m predisposed to think you also got an excellent value...but BN is generally known for that, so we might have guessed without even checking. Though you didn''t get the other docs a place like GOG will have, your AGS doc is a pretty helpful substitute, and that it was a signature ideal is additional reasonable proof as to the quality.

Yes, get additional piece of mind through an independent appraiser, and then, congratulations!

help911

Rough_Rock
Regular Guy, I''m in Fort Worth, TX. Thanks for the additional info. The GCAL report that comes with the diamond does show maximum brilliance, which was reassuring. One other stone that I considered, which was similar although not "Signature" was the one below. It''s VS1 as opposed to VS2 and is much better on HCA. It''s also nearly $1500 cheaper. Should I do an exchange?

http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-2-carat-ideal-cut-g-color-vs1-clarity_LD01476379?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=1

Stock number: LD01476379
Price: $28,531
Bank wire price: $28,104
Carat weight: 2.14
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Depth %: 61.2%
Table %: 55%
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to medium, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.30 x 8.33 x 5.09 mm

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Help,

You''ll recognize best which of these guys are close enough to you to make it work.

Regarding one diamond over the other...IF all things were equal, I would take an AGS 0 over an ostensibly better HCA score. But, all things are not equal, so that is less clear. Off the top, I might suggest you stick with your original instincts on this, however.

help911

Rough_Rock
This is helpful. Glad my instincts look to be right. Thanks, Regular Guy.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Blue Nile is a reputable company, and both AGSL and GCAL are excellent labs.

I would trust their grading over the jeweler''s opinion.

Abril

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 7:27:04 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Ditto.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 11:28:20 PM
Author: Abril

Date: 2/21/2009 7:27:04 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Ditto.
Thritto

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results