shape
carat
color
clarity

appraisal after the ring is set?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dib

Shiny_Rock
I recently purchased a cushion cut stone from reputable store but did not have it independently appraised (it has a GIA cert). I would like to get it appraised after it''s set to make sure there was no damage done during setting. Am i missing out on important information by not appraising it while it''s loose?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will miss out on an independent third party opinion of the accuracy of the diamond grading report that came with the diamond. GIA is good enough for most of us, but many wish to be sure the diamond matches the report. The ONLY time it matters is when the diamond is still new, not after years of wearing it.

Probably someone such as myself can do an adequate job of matching the stone to the report even when it is set. We do this frequently. It just is not as totally certain or easy, vut it can be done.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2005 12:07:31 PM
Author:bbb
I recently purchased a cushion cut stone from reputable store but did not have it independently appraised (it has a GIA cert). I would like to get it appraised after it''s set to make sure there was no damage done during setting. Am i missing out on important information by not appraising it while it''s loose?

While a gemologist / appraiser can examine a diamond after its set, sometimes the view for seeing damage under a prong isn''t visible.

This is a common limitation and your gemologist of choice, should spend an ample amount of time observing the prong area from above, the side and underneath the prongs.

If you''re interest and purpose in having the diamond examined for setting damage, it is of course impractical to unset and reset again.

The ability to observe anything, is going to depend on the gemologist''s view which depending on the setting, will vary.

Rockdoc

Golden Oak

Rough_Rock
From a process perspective, our appraiser prefers to confirm the stone with the grading report before setting, then he inspects the finished ring, then produces the appraisal. That being said I have had customers that are in such a rush, the appraisal is done after the stone is set, not the "best" approach, but it is done all the time, and he confirms the finished diamond in the ring to the grading report.

It sounds like you might be concerned that the diamond is or will be damaged in the setting process, here is a slightly different perspective, it is all about what makes you comfortable.

First having someone verify someone else’s work independently regardless of what kind of work it is always the safest route. You can hire an automobile repair consultant to verify that your mechanic fixed your car correctly, you can bring in an independent inspector to make sure the plumber fixed your toilet correctly, you can pay anybody to double and triple check any kind of work that anyone does for you, it is a question of do you feel it is necessary, to give you piece of mind. I will never argue that having 3rd party inspector come in and verify anybody’s work isn''t the "safest" route to make sure the work was done correctly. That being said, it is an extra expense, and no offence to the two guys who just posted it is in their best interest for you to spend that extra money to have them check that ring for you, and there is no reason to beleive that they wont do a very accurate and ethical job, of cource while you pay them for it, that is what independant apprasers do for a living.

In your first sentence you stated that you purchased this from a reputable store. That means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Do you trust them? Have they treated you fairly and honestly? Do you feel it is necessary to hire a third party to review the ring and stone for damage? Have you asked the jeweler for assistance in understanding your ring and stone better? If you ask them help in understanding your purchase, they will hopefully be able to put your mind at ease, if not do what you feel need to do, in order to sleep well at night. Yes an independent, 3rd party review won''t hurt except cost you a few bucks, consume your time and require the extra effort necessary to find someone that is going to help you feel good about your purchase, it is up to you to decide if you feel it is necessary. BTW if all you feel you need is an insurance appraisal, many retail establishments will waive their fee for their appraisal, if you purchased the stone and ring from them, ask them what their policies are. Regardless of all the fear uncertainty and doubt, that some might say about appraisals from the place you purchased from, a reputable retail establishment will provide you an ethical and honest true appraisal. ( If I understand what the lawyers have told me, at least in CA, if an appraiser grossly over appraises the value, they can be liable for your the excess insurance bills and if they under appraise the value they can be liable for the gap in the insurance coverage, but I am not a lawyer so don’t hold me to that. )

Regardless if you do decide to have it independently apprised/assessed, you might consider finding an appraiser who is from your local community who has the credentials that makes you feel comfortable. He/She is from your community and has a vested interest in making sure that they have a good reputation in the community, just like you local independent reputable jeweler does. Addionaly it is better for your local economy, if you purchase the services you need locally. If you spend you money on local good and services, you are contributing to the health and well being of the community you live in, which is usually a good thing, unless you really hate the place you live
1.gif
. I think it is important to remember, and we often do for get when we use the internet for commerce, that supporting local business is a good thing, unless you like the idea of your local economy being impacted negatively by the flow of cash leaving your town.

Best Regards,

Brian
Golden Oak Jewelers
Berkeley, CA

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results