shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisal Advice - Macy''s?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AW177

Rough_Rock
I was told by someone that Macy''s does appraisals too (it''s either Macy''s or Bloomingdales, I can''t remember). Has anyone ever gone to them to do one before and how trustworthy are they, since they are not independent appraisers?

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated; thanks!

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Though they may or may not do this...I can''t imagine what the draw to do it would be.

Frankly, I find attractive the idea of going to not an independent appraiser, but one who does appraisals while at a jewelry story, so you can at least, while you''re there, compare your options against others you''re not buying, and are able to compare to real world options. In this case, you may or may not find it to your advantage to rig up an agreement with the appraiser/jeweler in advance, that in connection with their doing your appraisal, you agree that you could not also purchase from them...thereby sort of replicating the positive environment afforded by the "independent" status of an otherwise independent appraiser.

But...if you''re going to do this...do it at a high end store...where the other goods there are known to be of high quality. I wouldn''t expect that of Macy''s, particularly. There are lots in NYC, and environs.

So...what''s either attractive about Macy''s...or unattractive about a more traditional appraiser?

AW177

Rough_Rock
Date: 9/29/2006 5:13:34 PM
Author: Regular Guy
Though they may or may not do this...I can''t imagine what the draw to do it would be.

Frankly, I find attractive the idea of going to not an independent appraiser, but one who does appraisals while at a jewelry story, so you can at least, while you''re there, compare your options against others you''re not buying, and are able to compare to real world options. In this case, you may or may not find it to your advantage to rig up an agreement with the appraiser/jeweler in advance, that in connection with their doing your appraisal, you agree that you could not also purchase from them...thereby sort of replicating the positive environment afforded by the ''independent'' status of an otherwise independent appraiser.

But...if you''re going to do this...do it at a high end store...where the other goods there are known to be of high quality. I wouldn''t expect that of Macy''s, particularly. There are lots in NYC, and environs.

So...what''s either attractive about Macy''s...or unattractive about a more traditional appraiser?

What attracted me to Macy''s was that it''s "Macy''s" - a well known and respected store. I am still a newbie at this, but I would assume an appraisal certificate from Macy''s would look better than someone no one heard about before (not saying they''re no good, just saying the name of Macy''s may be better). That''s all I''m basing this on; I know that w/ Macy''s they may not like that I would not consider buying from them, so I don''t know what I may be getting myself into.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
an appraisal from wherever should only matter to a third party if you''re selling.

if you''re selling and trying to use the appraisal as a selling point, the thoroughness of the appraisal is what would "look better" to me, not the name on it. I can see an Ideal Scope, HA pictures, Gemex, or ASET on any appraisal and I know what it means.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results