shape
carat
color
clarity

Apple Bottom jeans? Baby Phat?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Okay, I''ll admit it... shopping for jeans makes me truly and utterly depressed most of the time. I have no idea what styles/brands will work best for my body type and even less of an idea of where to look around Boston to *find* those brands...

So! I found http://www.zafu.com ! They recommend jeans! For me! Something that won''t make me feel like I need to hide my butt!

But can I trust them?

Here''s the deal with me: I''m 5''8" with a fairly long inseam. I generally wear ~8/10 in most clothes. I have an hourglass figure - narrow waist and (*sob*) athletic thighs from a lot of horseback riding and running. I have a prominent behind
23.gif

The website recommended a few brands of jeans for me to try, like Baby Phat (signature and bullseye styles) and Apple Bottom (apple pocket). They also recommended Joe''s and Christopher Blue. Will those jeans work for my body type? Anyone familiar with those brands or have another recommendation?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am not familiar with apple bottom (what a name?!) or baby phat but i know a few friends of mine who are curvy with big booties like joes...also one of my girlfriends who is very prominent hourglass with a tiny waist and ample hips and butt loves the paper, denim and cloth brand...she hates when the jeans ''gap'' at her small waist...and she says these do not do that.

i love going into a store like nordstroms where they carry about 5-8 of the prominent brand names for jeans in savvy and tbd; and just spending an hour trying things on. some things work and some won''t. i think it''s more about how YOU like your jeans to fit than a website putting you into a category yanno? can you get into a store to check them out?

also i have really gotten into american eagle jeans and they are like $40-50 a pop, totally affordable...esp since you can never have too many jeans!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
haha so i just did that zafu thing and i think it's close to accurate... it suggested joes, apple bottom, baby phat (maybe those are their biggest three advertisers?) and also ralph lauren polo, citizens of humanity kelly (i have elle), blue cult (i have a pair or two of these, they are butt lifters!), and goldsign (never heard of them) as well as some other randoms.

the funniest thing is that it asks you what your fave brand is and i put seven one time and then AE another and it didn't even recommend me any of those. so it must be solely advertiser/preferred brand based, aka who they have an agreement with to showcase their stuff. so unfortunately they don't have ALL the brands. but it might give you an idea of where to start if you are totally stumped.

i went jean shopping 2 weeks ago and came home with 3 pairs, i was stoked!!! my biggest problem si that my waist is kind of 'straight' so while i have thinnish legs many times my waist kind of pushes me into a larger size because it's not super defined and then i have too much material at legs and stuff. but i have found the AE really make me look awesome! hehee.

oh and LOL does anyone else think that the 'prominent' behind looks smaller than the 'full'?! heehee.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
hi rfath,

I have quite the same figure and have struggled to find that perfect fit.

My favorite is paige premium denim. I have two pairs, one is called hollywood hills. it''s my everyday jean. cut a bit higher, so you can bend over and not fear you are overexposing. also the waistband is really comfortable and i don''t have the "gapping" effect. the other pair is called laurel canyon and it is more of my night-out-on-the-town pair. they are a little tighter. both pairs are completely flattering. excellent quality. i got them from revolve clothing when they had a sale. Also, their back pockets aren''t that adorned, which is something i like.

I also have some joe''s jeans, but like the socialite and muse cut better than the honey cut, which is supposed to be for curvier shapes.

Good luck!

rfath

Shiny_Rock
I just assumed that prominent = bootay

Problem for me is to figure out who carries the brands that I want to try on. No Nordstrom in the area yet (they''re building a few around Boston, but, well.. not soon enough!). Who else carries a wide variety of brands?

For someone who considers her butt too large, it''s weird contemplating jeans whose brand name seem to call attention to that area. Phat? Bottom? Hello?

*sigh*

I need to find some place with a whole bunch of brands and suck it up to try them on. Usually I''m only good for a few stores before I wonder what''s wrong with my shape that I can''t find anything and I wander away for another few months
14.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
i think i would avoid baby phat and jeans with apple-shaped rear pockets!!
emembarrassed.gif

i really think you should try the paige jeans.

is there some sort or boutique that might have a larger variety of jeans?

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Barneys New York Copley Place: 100 Huntington Ave
617-385-3300

Dress: 221 Newbury St.
617-424-7125

Intermix 186 Newbury St.
617-236-5172
(apparently has "loads" of denim)

I just found them on the lucky magazine website. i included the phone numbers so you can see if they are actually stocking the brands you are interested in.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
lll... thanks! That''s exactly the sort of information I''m looking for! *excited hugs*

As much as Newbury Street makes me itch, it might just be the place I need to go.

Maybe I should pick on Cartier while I''m there...

can I post booty shots since hubby is no help or judge?
9.gif

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
rfath, I think Apple Bottoms and Baby Phat are more for the Beyonce types, if you know what I mean! I believe they tend to accentuate the bootyliciousness--not that there''s anything wrong with that!!! I agree with lulu, try Barney''s or Intermix for a good selection. I would also check out Neiman Marcus--I think there''s one at Copley Place. And Bloomingdale''s if you have one around there. They should all have plenty of varieties for you to try. Jean shopping can be a daunting experience so you might want to take a friend with you! Let us know what you end up with.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree with lovelylulu - I''d have to say that Paige Premium Denium are the best fit for me. The Hollywood Hills definitely helps with the gap issue. I think Neimans and Nordstroms have a pretty good selection.

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
huh, a couple of the ones they suggested for me are ones I know fit me well including the only jean I have that doesn't gap, the llbean stretch boot-cut! They suggested a couple of very interesting sounding non-gaping jeans and even though I wasn't going to go jeans shopping until I lost a size, I may just have to go check them out!
I swear the back gap thing is the hardest part about jeans! Well, that and many have a short rise.
7.gif
It also suggested baby phat for me as well, but since they also suggested a dkny, Tommy Hilfiger, Levi's, and a couple of Wranglers I don't feel that they're biased towards certain brands.
What I found most interesting is that all of the jeans they suggested are boot cuts!
6.gif
It makes me much more of a believer in their advice since I know that I look best in boot cuts, they really balance out my proportions!
30.gif

ETA: To answer your question, based on how closely their recommendations match what I know works for me, I trust their advice!

rfath

Shiny_Rock
mmm... I'm going to have to find a friend who a) doesn't think it's insane to spend that much for jeans and b) doesn't mind staring at another girl's butt and giving opinions.

.. maybe I'll try to make a friend in the shops
9.gif

Beyonce booty probably not what I'm looking for! JLO need not apply...

mightyred

Shiny_Rock
I''ve seen the Apple Bottom jeans at TJ Maxx in Dowtown Crossing. Everytime I looked at them they had a huge apple on the pocket and that put me right off! It''s like putting a bullseye on your bum!

You could try In.Jean.ius on Hanover St in the North End who have a great selection and great service.

I do have to say that for me it was worth the drive to Nordstroms in Providence to find the perfect jeans. I spent a few hours trying on every brand imagineable until I found the perfect pair for me. Not to mention the shoes and everything else Nordstroms could tempt me with!
36.gif

Tybee

Brilliant_Rock
I must say that our "family budget" has me not shopping for anything for several months... it''s killing me, but
I tried the zafu website, and was not recommended the apple bottom jeans... or any of the others that rfath mentioned,
so maybe it is a shape thing?
I also asked for a jean that makes my butt look "perky" I mean.. what else could I ask for?
tee hee.
I cannot wait to invest in some real and excellent jeans!!!!!
NOt to mention purses... oh dang the "family budget"!!!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rfath: I''m a full-bottomed girl too with a small waist--but no Apple Bottoms for moi! I''ve tried Joe''s Jeans "Honey" and love them in the super dark wash, and for a cheaper every day jean I second Mara''s vote for American Eagles. I just got my second online order (had to send back the first because they were a size too large). I love them! I got the straight version in an antique dark wash and they are verrrrry flattering. Honestly, anything you can find in a very dark wash will be flattering, unless it''s too low rise. These AE ones that I got do give me a hint of the "gap" effect, but for the price and the flattering color and trendiness of the straight fit that''s back in style I can deal. My other favorite jeans are Gap''s Long and Lean for every day--they are around $50-$60 and I''m on like my 5th pair in the last 2-3 years. I''ve been able to find them on sale for $19.99 a few times in my size
6.gif
!

rfath

Shiny_Rock
''perky''... that kind of reminds me of what happens when I try on a push-up bra. People could get hurt! Think of the children!

I requested something to de-emphasize booty-ness. And got apples on the pockets. How can you NOT stare at them?!
11.gif

mighty - thanks for the suggestions for in.jean.ius. I might have to wander in there as well. Maybe I can convince my hubby that there''s something interesting for ''us'' to do in Providence as well....

I''ll definitely check out the AE and Gap jeans as well. Spending less money certainly isn''t a bad idea either.

I need to find a shopping buddy. My husband, sadly, really prefers the JLO pants... *sigh*

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
ROFL re apples on the pockets rfath...maybe the website things that prominent booty is a really positive thing and wants you to show it off!?!??! you go girl!!

i used to be really bootylicious, but since dropping some weight i have a much smaller yet perky (lol!) booty now and i like it. i wasn''t loving being too bootylicious...it just was never really my thing. so i have had a taste of both worlds, lol! greg still gives me the thumbs up so i know i''m still doing okay. HAHA.

also check out A&F''s jeans...but i don''t like them ''as much'' as AE''s...and AE is cheaper. so you really can''t beat it. i love a few good pairs of expensive jeans and then getting some more basic cheaper ones as well and mixing them up. a great pair of jeans is priceless.

monarch, i need to order another pair of the AE artist online, i LOVE LOVE LOVE these jeans. i want to get a darker wash i think, i have the vintage one but it doesn''t show online anymore, don''t know if they sold out or what.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried the Zafu thing and it recommended some brands for me, none of which I know much about. But does anyone know of a butt-ENHANCING brand of jeans? Something with lift and perk? I have a super-flat butt and I HATE it. It totally makes me look and feel asexual! (OK, well, that and the post-babies nonexistent bosoms!) I have to say that fully padded bras are my savior....I wish they had something similar for jeans!!!

Help! Me!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
"Ooops - you've caught us with our pants down!

We have hundreds of jeans on our "shelves" and thousands of people coming through every day.
Sometimes we close our doors for a few minutes in the evening while we
add new jeans to our "shelves", clean shop and generally make ourselves pretty. "

23.gif

Hahaha!

I just went there and got this message. Oh well... no experiments for me!

I have the opposite problem; my waist isn't defined and while I have no issue with my legs or behind, with my waist being so wide my figure is depressingly far from being an hourglass. Worse, when I'm lean and buff, I have no curves at all!
39.gif
It seems to be either embrace chunkiness and a wide waist or become boyish. If the roll around the middle goes (it appears every time I sit down) then the bosoms and hips will go with it. What to do?

How I envy you girls your hourglass figures!

ETA: Just got on. The brands they recommended for me were: Calvin Klein, Levi's, Metro7, Wrangler, Joe's, Forenza, and Victoria's Secret. (VS makes jeans?! Since when?)

Nary an Apple Bottom or a Baby Phat in sight. Strange. Must be the style of jeans that looks best on your ladies?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
apple bottom is cut for those with no backside.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/1/2006 12:56:30 AM
Author: KristyDarling
I tried the Zafu thing and it recommended some brands for me, none of which I know much about. But does anyone know of a butt-ENHANCING brand of jeans? Something with lift and perk? I have a super-flat butt and I HATE it. It totally makes me look and feel asexual! (OK, well, that and the post-babies nonexistent bosoms!) I have to say that fully padded bras are my savior....I wish they had something similar for jeans!!!

Help! Me!
Don''t they have those padded undies??? hehehe. Usually pockets help accentuate the butt. Maybe that could works.

I tried the zafu thing, and only one jean fit me best??? How can that be??? Well I love AE jeans; the price is great and the quality is ok. Make my butt looks perky.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
muhaha... I''m so scheming.. I''ve got all these names of places to go now!

I''ve got to get a swank new hair cut - hoping to get that done on Newbury Street this weekend... just *happens* to be near AE and Intermix. From there it''s just a short jaunt to the premium shopping centers to hit Lucky Brand, Neiman Marcus, and Barney''s.

My poor butt will be worn out after that!

I''ve got the lamentable perky and prominent behind. *sigh* I''ve been running a lot and have lost weight recently, but just not there. My thighs have gotten more muscled and now my current Gap jeans feel too short. Wah.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Just thought I''d update on my adventures...

I checked out the AE jeans... I don''t know what they were stocking, but trying on the same style jeans in the same size but different colors was an exercise in frustration. I finally found one pair of stretch hipsters that fit. One wash. The others didn''t fit. Very weird...

(btw... hubby loves you all for suggesting that *I* stop there... he amused himself greatly in the men''s section and ended up with more pairs than I did for the weekend)

Stopped at Barney''s... and found *a* style of pant that made me look terrific (James Jeans Hector in Troy), but they were sadly out of any of the other brands that might fit me, so I''ve got to go back for more great fun times since I really want to try on more than one pair of jeans if I''m going to spend that money. I think the saleslady actually believed me about my hourglass shape when I showed her the mad gap on the jeans she suggested I try on. 28" waist! 39" hips when I''m having a fat day! I wasn''t lying!

And then.. I wandered into Lucky Brand jeans. Sadly they weren''t having a sale, but... but... these jeans work (until I hopefully find the perfect pair at Barney''s). I brought home a pair and love them.

Trying on jeans made me renew my vow to stop eating so much and to start running more often... or maybe it''s just the lights that pick up EVERY flub on my skin. *ulp*
23.gif

Thanks for the suggestions.. I''m hoping that Barney''s will eventually restock the *perfect* jean for me and I''ll return triumphant and not hiding my butt anymore...

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
rfath: what variety of lucky jeans worked for you?

hopefully, you''ll soon find some more contenders. did you get to try on the paige brand?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Has anyone ever tried the Blue Cult Butt Lifter jeans? I plan to check them out at Saks this Friday.
9.gif

I just bought a pair of Joe's Honey (curvy fit) jeans and they *kinda sorta* help with my flat butt, but I still think I can find something better. They're super comfy though.

Paige Denim?? Oh dear lord.....I can't think of a less flattering brand of jeans on me. They are super-super-super low rise....my inner tube is squeezed up and highlighted in all its tubby glory (what do they call that -- "muffin top"??), and half my butt hangs out and that's IF (big if) I can even get the zipper up. Maybe I have to go up a size because they're so darn low on my hips, but still.....UGH.

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2006 5:14:55 PM
Has anyone ever tried the Blue Cult Butt Lifter jeans? I plan to check them out at Saks this Friday.
9.gif

I just bought a pair of Joe''s Honey (curvy fit) jeans and they *kinda sorta* help with my flat butt, but I still think I can find something better. They''re super comfy though.

Paige Denim?? Oh dear lord.....I can''t think of a less flattering brand of jeans on me. They are super-super-super low rise....my inner tube is squeezed up and highlighted in all its tubby glory (what do they call that -- ''muffin top''??), and half my butt hangs out and that''s IF (big if) I can even get the zipper up. Maybe I have to go up a size because they''re so darn low on my hips, but still.....UGH.
I, too, am blessed with a flat bootie. I''m built like a busty ruler...The busty part makes the bootie look even smaller! It is the WORST!!! I''ve been on a denim crusade for a while. I''ve been through every brand from Antik to Tarjay brand (Mossimo?) and nothing works. I''m on a mission this weekend to find a pair that fits and doesn''t flatten out the behind. Hopefully I can find something at the Nordie''s sale.

BTW...Paige Denim was not my best look either. I am going to check out the Blue Cult butt lifters. Good luck on your mission!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2006 5:14:55 PM
9.gif

I just bought a pair of Joe's Honey (curvy fit) jeans and they *kinda sorta* help with my flat butt, but I still think I can find something better. They're super comfy though.

Paige Denim?? Oh dear lord.....I can't think of a less flattering brand of jeans on me. They are super-super-super low rise....my inner tube is squeezed up and highlighted in all its tubby glory (what do they call that -- 'muffin top'??), and half my butt hangs out and that's IF (big if) I can even get the zipper up. Maybe I have to go up a size because they're so darn low on my hips, but still.....UGH.
kristy -- that's so funny, because i had the exact opposite experience with the paige jeans. perhaps we tried on different styles. the hollywood hills seem to be mid-rise instead of low rise and i loved how comfortably they sat on my waist because they were higher.

jeans are tricky!!!

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/7/2006 4:49:02 PM
Author: lovelylulu
rfath: what variety of lucky jeans worked for you?

hopefully, you''ll soon find some more contenders. did you get to try on the paige brand?

The Easy Rider and Classic Bootcut both worked, though I came home with the Easy Riders.

Sadly, no, I didn''t get to try on the Paige brand... maybe I''ll get to Neiman Marcus this weekend and try those as well.

*sigh* Some days liposuction sounds like a great plan...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
KD...i was totally just going to suggest blue cult for a booty lifter. i have a pair of them from a few years ago and my butt does look perky but then again it's always been kinda perky so hard to say it's the jeans. but they definitely don't flatten it out. so worth a try on at the store for sure.

rfath...did you say that you think that 28" waist and 39" hips is an hourglass figure?! that is basically what i am but i look very proportional and i don't ever have a gap at the waist. also my husband thinks i have a 'boyish' figure now. so now i am confused...i definitely don't feel like i'm hourglass right now. haahha.

the AE jeans i am in love with are the AE Artist. i want them in all the washes. and A&F had one or two good ones too. i love AG jeans and i have a nice pair of citizens that flatter me as well.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/9/2006 7:25:04 PM
Author: Mara

rfath...did you say that you think that 28'' waist and 39'' hips is an hourglass figure?! that is basically what i am but i look very proportional and i don''t ever have a gap at the waist. also my husband thinks i have a ''boyish'' figure now. so now i am confused...i definitely don''t feel like i''m hourglass right now. haahha.

Mara - maybe it''s just a difference because I have more of a hoochy bum than you.I tried on the AE Artist pants and they, uh.. would barely cover my crack.
39.gif
Maybe I''m measuring more like 40" right now...

Don''t make me whip out a measuring tape!

found an interesting link that shows body type definitions: here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results