shape
carat
color
clarity

Apparently, too big exists. [Titanic inspired antique pear / OEC ring]

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
I got this moissanite ring commissioned from a jeweler on Etsy a while ago. [Note: it was before the titan submersible incident.] It's inspired by a ring found on the titanic.

He did a fabulous job, but I'd say the ring looks off just because of how large it is. Some sources online say the original ring had a 2ct antique pear flanked by 1ct oec diamonds, but I am wondering if it was really a 1ct pear and 0.5 ct OECs. The ring came out looking strange because of how big it is ... it truly stretches across my entire finger. If not more. 105% finger coverage??

The center stone has an open culet, which is pretty much all I know about antique pears, so that's genuine enough for me.

Original
1700702503987.png

Mine

1700702789376.png

Video

Anyway, just got bored and felt like sharing, thanks for looking.

Last edited:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks great! But I also understand seeing it in a photo is very different from seeing it on your own hand. I'm sure DSS will set in quickly enough, and you'll think it's Goldilocks' porridge soon enough.

Jujeh

Rough_Rock
Thanks, I do appreciate it :)

I don't really know what I expected ... 4ct equivalent is not going to be dainty.

But ... yeah it's just a bit much.

It's definitely a fun piece to wear at home though!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like it. I think the sides are a bit oversized compared to the inspiration ring. But it's a nice ring.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I find your ring very unique, and not too big! Maybe the in the original setting the stones were set more angled, and therefore gave less finger coverage. I hope you understand what I mean!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it. The stones look authentically cut, And the miligrain is nice. I’d love to see if from the side. Care to share the vendor?

Grymera

Shiny_Rock
Looks very nice. For antique cut stones like that, sizing is very hard based only on carat weight. Some stone can face up very large or small depending on the depth. That’s why you’ll see some lower carat antique pears facing up like 2 carats or visually looking closer to 2 carats because of the longer length (which your inspiration pear has). Or, on the flip side, it could be cut very deep and face up smaller.

If you aren’t happy with that ring, you’d likely be better off sourcing some hand cut pear options, picking side stones based on your preference (using masking tape to see it on your hand in terms of sizing) and then sending it off to a primo bench like what DK has, or a really fantastic setter. IMO those beautiful old settings when done by a great jeweler just exude elegance from the artistry and minimalism of the final design.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's lovely! Was wondering if now that you've had it for a bit if dss has set in? I know when I got my diamond at first I kinda regretted it because it was a little embarrassing. Now I don't ever even think about it (unless I see someone notice it) and don't think it looks big at all, lol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results