shape
carat
color
clarity

Apatite price?

Maria L

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

I came across this Apatite set on a 18k pendant with diamond over the weekend. Apatite with paraiba neon blue is on my wishlist and I like the setting.
I had done a lot of online research all saying Apatite with neon blue were rare and valuable. However when I did price research last night, I couldn't believe that many only cost as little as $10, still with nice colour and excellent clarity (heavily treated i think)! Only a few looked like zircons marked with higher prices.
The one I like is about $520usd, 0.8ct. The stone itself is transparent, looks frosted but does glow nicely.
Can you advise me the market price for Apatite please? The big difference between prices really confusing me.
20240414_231603.jpg

Attachments

• 20240415_004812.jpg
    20240415_004812.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 8

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d pass.
The gem is small, cloudy and the setting light weight and bland for $520. Apatite is inexpensive.

Maria L

Rough_Rock
I’d pass.
The gem is small, cloudy and the setting light weight and bland for $520. Apatite is inexpensive.

Thanks so much ❤️

fredflintstone

Brilliant_Rock
Most blue Apatite is heated, though some from Madagascar is not. You have Paraiba blue to a Vietnam Cobalt blue Spinel color, the latter being mostly from Madagascar and is hard to find. There is also green Apatite that can be outstanding neon or can be a dull yellowish green. There is also purple Apatite, rare and yellow, violet, colorless and red. Brazil produces many colors.

A good blue Apatite over a carat will run anywhere from $50 to $100.00 a carat. The finest examples will run higher, that are larger sizes or very rare saturated colors.

Apatite is beautiful, but tends to be inexpensive because of its durability (or lack thereof). Not only is it a 5 hardness, but it's also quite brittle. Naturally, you don't have to worry much about that if set in a pendant or earrings. But if this material were harder and tougher, I think we'd see much higher pricing.

Maria L

Rough_Rock
Apatite is beautiful, but tends to be inexpensive because of its durability (or lack thereof). Not only is it a 5 hardness, but it's also quite brittle. Naturally, you don't have to worry much about that if set in a pendant or earrings. But if this material were harder and tougher, I think we'd see much higher pricing.

Thanks, I will give this pendant a pass. Think I may like to collect a loose stone with much lower price instead

Maria L

Rough_Rock
Most blue Apatite is heated, though some from Madagascar is not. You have Paraiba blue to a Vietnam Cobalt blue Spinel color, the latter being mostly from Madagascar and is hard to find. There is also green Apatite that can be outstanding neon or can be a dull yellowish green. There is also purple Apatite, rare and yellow, violet, colorless and red. Brazil produces many colors.

A good blue Apatite over a carat will run anywhere from $50 to $100.00 a carat. The finest examples will run higher, that are larger sizes or very rare saturated colors.

Thanks, I will give this pendant a pass. Think I may like to collect a loose stone with much lower price instead

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results