shape
carat
color
clarity

Apatite - anyone one have one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Does anyone have an apatite and are you happy with it? I''m looking for one with a true balance of blue-green, on the lighter side.

And do you really prononuce it ap-a-tite (like, you know . . . ?

Thanks.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t have any apatites (your pronunciation is correct). They are too soft for rings. You could use one as a pendant, but I would make sure that the vendor assumed the risk of setting it. Have you found any you like?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I have a very beautiful neon blue (think turquoise) oval (I think it's about 2.5ct I'd have to check) - it looks almost like a paraiba. I bought it from Richard at artcutgems.

I consider apatite way too soft for setting - perhaps a pendant at the most, DEFINITELY not a ring. I just keep it as a collectors stone.

Gem Lover

Rough_Rock
I have a few, just for my collection. I agree that they are way too soft to set but I just love the color.

Jess

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi there!

Yes it is too soft for a ring but I''ve got 2 (a cushion cut and a trilliant) and do wear them! So far I haven''t knocked or banged them but .... they''re just too pretty not to be worn! I''ve also got a trilliant pendant that''s lovely (and more practical!).

Just for comparison I''m attaching a photo for you of the cushion cut next to a Paraiba Tourmaline so you can see the difference in colour.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the pendant. As you can see there are a few inclusions but they don''t stop it from having a great lustre. I''ve seen some that are cloudy and that really does affect the brilliance and look of the gemstone.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
My local jeweler has a few pieces of apatite that I love...but the color of blue zircon can be really close if you''re looking for something harder.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Loving: those are exquisite. Thanks for posting them.

Gem Lover: What is that beauty in your avitar? OMG.

Harriet: This one: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/closeout/apatite/yap101cw/&1244716636
I like it because it is more green than blue, large enough and a great price. It appears to be cut well, no?

Thanks Elmorton. I'll look into that. Somehow the apatite is striking me more.

Pandora: It would be a pendant. I'm hoping the color, in person, is like a bright, light sea green.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/14/2008 4:57:13 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Loving: those are exquisite. Thanks for posting them.

Gem Lover: What is that beauty in your avitar? OMG.

Harriet: This one: http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?/details/closeout/apatite/yap101cw/&1244716636
I like it because it is more green than blue, large enough and a great price. It appears to be cut well, no?

Thanks Elmorton. I''ll look into that. Somehow the apatite is striking me more.

Pandora: It would be a pendant. I''m hoping the color, in person, is like a bright, light sea green.
I think so.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Too included for me - but then you get what you pay for.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Pan. I''m just looking for a small venture into apatite for now to see if it works for me. Inclusions don''t bother me that much, Sometimes. When I bought the tsav., I went for more quality as I knew I truly loved it.

You are a professional in this, so your tastes are more evolved, which I appreciate.

Thanks for looking and commenting, as always. :)

Sonoma.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sonoma, does this mean you won''t be setting the apatite?

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Hi Harriet. I just bought the apatite and will be making it into a pendant. I think I was apologizing, in a way, for it being a "lesser" stone. (I do have some "lesser" stones that I love, though.) I so hope it looks as in the photo. Thanks for asking. Will report when it arrives.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are no such things as "lesser"stones, in my book.
35.gif

Meher Thakker

Rough_Rock
I have this old green apatite stone weighing 761 carats. I am not sure how much it would value though..

Meher

apatite-761.jpg

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
oh my goodness

how interesting is that
!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results