shape
carat
color
clarity

Anything wrong with this diamond?

mattsaccount

Rough_Rock
I'm not too concerned with price so we can probably skip that issue. I'm quite sure I'm not being ripped off :). As I'm buying over the Internet, I'm most interested in whether I'm missing anything with regard to the optical performance of a diamond that has these specs:

Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Carats: 0.53

Depth: 60.1%
Table: 56.0%
Crown: 14.1% 33.9°
Pavilion: 42.6% 40.6°
Polish: Good
Symmetry: Good
Girdle: Thin
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

The diamond is GIA certified. Assuming I'm happy with the color/clarity/carats, is there anything with respect to the cut I should focus on? This diamond does well with the HCA. The diamond is for an engagement ring / solitaire setting. What questions should I ask the jeweler about it, if any? "Is it eye clean?" Anything else?

Thanks for any advice!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
It should be easy enough to find a round with very good or excellent symmetry and polish, so I would look for that.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The proportions of this stone given does not look like from a GIA report. With G in symm, HCA results might not be applicable, will prefer to see an idealscope image of that stone.

Ditto slg, too easy to find Ex/VG polish and symm stone.

mattsaccount

Rough_Rock
Good point about the symmetry -- I'd forgotten that HCA might not be applicable if the symmetry isn't there.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
if you post your budget we can help you find stones, if you like?

mattsaccount

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for the help. For various reasons I'm going to leave the budget off. I know you can find better ones than this via Blue Nile and related websites though. I've checked them :)

Back to symmetry for a moment -- how would you all rate the importance of symmetry against that of polish and the table/depth/etc statistics? Is symmetry of comparable importance? For example, let's consider this imaginary diamond:

G / same size as above / VS2
Depth: 60.9%
Table: 60.0%
Crown: 35.3°
Pavilion: 40.6°
Symmetry: Very Good

These numbers aren't as favorable on HCA:
Light Return Very Good
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.9

But the symmetry is "very good." If it were theoretically necessary to compromise on between the diamond in the original post and this one, what would you do? :) Thanks!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which lab issued the report?

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Are you sure these diamonds have GIA reports? Do you have the report numbers? GIA rounds crown angles to the nearest 0.5 degrees.

I would only consider stones graded GIA very good and below if I can see them in person or have access to images, especially when it is a ring stone and the pavilion angle is a rounded 40.6 degrees.

mattsaccount

Rough_Rock
Sorry, I was confused. The ones I was referring to above are in fact EGL-USA. I know EGL-USA has a lesser reputation and is known for grading various qualities more softly, e.g. color and clarity, than GIA. I know EGL-USA is not recommended.

Nevertheless, the original question about symmetry vs other measurements stands and I'm curious what you all think :) Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mattsaccount|1306239112|2929000 said:
Thanks again for the help. For various reasons I'm going to leave the budget off. I know you can find better ones than this via Blue Nile and related websites though. I've checked them :)

Back to symmetry for a moment -- how would you all rate the importance of symmetry against that of polish and the table/depth/etc statistics? Is symmetry of comparable importance? For example, let's consider this imaginary diamond:

G / same size as above / VS2
Depth: 60.9%
Table: 60.0%
Crown: 35.3°
Pavilion: 40.6°
Symmetry: Very Good

These numbers aren't as favorable on HCA:
Light Return Very Good
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.9

But the symmetry is "very good." If it were theoretically necessary to compromise on between the diamond in the original post and this one, what would you do? :) Thanks!

The problem is that numbers on the report are averaged around the entirety of the stone - 8 sections - and rounded. We have no idea what sorts of ranges are going into those averaged, rounded reported measures - could be large, could be small, could be skewed right or left... and yes, those details can and do result in visible differences. I don't see a lower half measurement?

The proportions *are* more important than good/vg/ex pol - good for sym and pol are not unusual w/ fancy shapes. But, as PPs have said - it's easy to find RBs w/ ex/vg pol/sym. Too easy to have to settle for less. So I wouldn't buy either. The fact that it's EGL means I wouldn't even consider it without seeing it in-person, either on trial or purchased from a vendor w/ a generous ironclad return policy that I planned to take advantage of if the stone did not meet expectations.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1306273573|2929371 said:
The problem is that numbers on the report are averaged around the entirety of the stone - 8 sections - and rounded. We have no idea what sorts of ranges are going into those averaged, rounded reported measures - could be large, could be small, could be skewed right or left... and yes, those details can and do result in visible differences. I don't see a lower half measurement?

The proportions *are* more important than good/vg/ex pol - good for sym and pol are not unusual w/ fancy shapes. But, as PPs have said - it's easy to find RBs w/ ex/vg pol/sym. Too easy to have to settle for less. So I wouldn't buy either. The fact that it's EGL means I wouldn't even consider it without seeing it in-person, either on trial or purchased from a vendor w/ a generous ironclad return policy that I planned to take advantage of if the stone did not meet expectations.

Ditto to all of this.

EGL-USA has a better reputation than other EGL labs, but I would still personally want to see the stone in person, especially with the Good symmetry issues making it harder to really give credence to the proportions listed on the cert.

Have you already bought this stone?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

The proportions *are* more important than good/vg/ex pol - good for sym and pol are not unusual w/ fancy shapes. But, as PPs have said - it's easy to find RBs w/ ex/vg pol/sym. Too easy to have to settle for less. So I wouldn't buy either. The fact that it's EGL means I wouldn't even consider it without seeing it in-person, either on trial or purchased from a vendor w/ a generous ironclad return policy that I planned to take advantage of if the stone did not meet expectations.[/quote]

Ditto to all of this. If I were buying "blind" and not seeing the stone in person, I would buy by the numbers.... I would go for "ideal" cut and by the HCA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results