shape
carat
color
clarity

Anything to worry about with this diamond?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Well, he is working with a trusted local jeweler, so I'm not sure. He was also looking for something a little larger than the 2.27. I like the crown in your suggested stone, but is the 2.72 something he should pass on?

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I am not an expert but, I think you get more sparkle and scintillation with a higher crown (but I know there is a ratio with the pavilion that is acceptable, but I don't remember what it is.) I also don't see a lot of red in the ASET image so I don't think you'll get as much light return with this one. But, again, I'm not an expert. I'm sure Kim will come back and let you know her observations.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently, she looked at this one as well, but like the 2.72 better.
https://www.gcalusa.com/certificate-search.html?certificate_id=LG321373134

Between the two, I like the 2.72 better as well.

He could also see if the jeweler is able to get one of these in.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @Kim N . I passed along the info. He has asked the jeweler to see if they can get them, and any other GCal8x with similarly ideal proportions.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
@Kim N @DejaWiz They both score under 1 on the HCA. I thought that might be a problem. What in particular do you like about the 2.73? I'm learning here: I would have thought the 15% crown height and the slightly less green in the optical symmetry score would have made that the better one. No?

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both score under 1 on the HCA. I thought that might be a problem. What in particular do you like about the 2.73? I'm learning here: I would have thought the 15% crown height and the slightly less green in the optical symmetry score would have made that the better one. No?

HCA under 1 isn't a concern with these stones. The 2.70 appears to have a bit more painting/digging than the 2.73.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Oh gotcha.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Is $4300 the budget?
We can definitely find an IGI or GIA D color HPHT with no blue nuance and ideal proportions and angles for about the same or maybe even less, if you're interested in seeing some options.

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Is $4300 the budget?
We can definitely find an IGI or GIA D color HPHT with no blue nuance and ideal proportions and angles for about the same or maybe even less, if you're interested in seeing some options.

Absolutely! He actually has room in his budget, just wanted to stay in this approx. carat weight. Doesn't have to be GIA D color tho. I saw a GIA lab F color and it was very white, much whiter than the GCal F that we saw at the same time.

Last edited:

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely! He actually has room in his budget, just wanted to stay in this approx. carat weight. Doesn't have to be GIA D color tho. I saw a GIA lab F color and it was very white, much whiter than the GCal F that we saw at the same time.

If this is in the budget, it looks beautifully cut.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
These are a little larger spread, but look quite promising.
Kim N can you please lend us your eyes?
(video links below each diamond)

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock

momofive

Brilliant_Rock
I think just about all LG diamonds say "may include..." And yes, you have to look for that, but it doesn't necessarily mean there is post growth of any consequence.
2a is what you want. Here is a simple explanation:

Also known as a diamond type 2a diamond, a Type IIa is one of four diamond classifications. Around 1-2% of all diamonds are classified as Type IIa (or 2a).

These gems are purely, or almost purely carbon, and are considered to be the purest and most valuable of all.

Type IIa diamonds have zero or exceptionally few nitrogen atoms within the crystal lattice structure. These diamonds can be completely colorless. However, some have a brown, light gray, pink or yellow hue.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are a little larger spread, but look quite promising.
Kim N can you please lend us your eyes?
(video links below each diamond)

They both look very good, especially the second one. I'd want to see an ASET image on the first one to verify there's no leakage.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok - the jeweler was able to call in @Kim N 's suggested 2.73

https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2....-Cut-Round-Diamond/D52955506?rfr=pricescope&#

and one other the jeweler found, of which I can not seem to locate a 360 view:

https://www.igi.org/reports/verify-your-report?r=LG563231934

questions on the 2.76:
1. "may include post growth treatment" - how bad is this?
2. what does type IIa mean exactly?

@Kim N @DejaWiz and anyone else, opinions?

Many CVD stones have post-growth treatment. It's not necessarily a bad thing. You'd still want to check for issues that are common with CVD--striations, haziness, brown or grey tint.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
They both look very good, especially the second one. I'd want to see an ASET image on the first one to verify there's no leakage.

Thanks for taking a look, Kim!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results