shape
carat
color
clarity

Anything that can be done about a potentially "bad" local jeweler?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

GLudlow

Rough_Rock
I''m in a sort of tough situation. In short, I''m wondering if there is a governing body where some type of report can be filed against a possible biased or sort of dishonest jeweler. Or is it better to just walk away in case it was a simple case of a different opinion, and stop doing business with them?

Story:
I''ve been emerald shopping for a few months. A local jeweler showed me a number of emeralds, but all were, I felt overpriced. Every one has moderately included and a few had sever color zoning (in one, half the crown was transparent, no green at all!).

I later found a stone elsewhere, and as much goodwill for their help as anything, had the local jeweler do a written appraisal in case I decided to buy this stone. I had previously brought it to Tom Tashy in Chicago and got a verbal appraisal and inspection.

The local guy rated the emerald significantly lower quality and almost one half the retail value that Tom rated it. He also priced it significantly under the lower quality stones he was selling.

Add to this the fact that he said all his emeralds were completely untreated (no oils, opticon, etc), makes me very suspicious since it is extremely rare to find an untreated emerald. Every other dealer I spoke to tells me that they assume everything is treated, because you really can''t tell. Add to that a major different in appraisal value between him and an unbiased third party, it makes me wonder if he weren''t "punishing me" for buying one of his stones.

He has many certifications, ISA, ans used the USPAP process for grading.

So what should I do? Do gemologists ever have "opo quizzes" or is there a regulatory body that reports can be filed against to investigate? Or is this just a case of two different opinions on one emerald, and he really believed his were more valuable bcause they were intreated?

DavidEmslie

Shiny_Rock
It very well could be the very old standard 5x mark up on color is being used...no matter what the wholesale price.

The problem with emeralds is they are all different. And unfortunatly generaly pretty expensive, it may be as simple as the jeweler himself dose not have a good connection for emeralds so you would be paying for several middle man mark ups as well as his profit. This is why good emeralds are hard to find.
Not every jeweler in the wold has the connections too the best quality out there...no matter what the stones.
Or, maybe he thinks your are easy to take advantage of, but I would guess probably not.

The best advice you can take is trust your instinct. You are doing the right thing, if you dont feel comfortable with anything, and I mean anything and this goes for everyone...dont do it.

As far as what you can do, there is not much, Being overpriced is not a crime, however you have the choice if you buy or not. This is what good old competition is for.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Did you pay him for the appraisal?

GLudlow

Rough_Rock
Yea, I did pay for it. I also made sure I told him I wasn't buying any of his emeralds before I had it appraised, so there was little reason for him to give it a low appraisal.

I guess I'll just go with gemologists with better reputations in the futre.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 4/24/2004 5:23:38 PM GLudlow wrote:

Yea, I did pay for it. I also made sure I told him I wasn't buying any of his emeralds before I had it appraised, so there was little reason for him to give it a low appraisal.

I guess I'll just go with gemologists with better reputations in the futre.----------------

He has a fiduciary responsibility for the appraisal to be accurate. If you wanted to pursue, you will have to get another GIA, GG appraisal.

I think I would just not do business with him again. May not be worth the hassle.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it's just me, but I think it's in poor taste to bring another jeweler's emerald for appraisal to a jeweler who has been trying to sell you his own emeralds.

Kind of like a slap in the face. Like, "Look what I found somewhere else. It's better than what you were showing me."

It would be hard for a lot of guys not to have a sour grapes attitude in this situation, with the evidence of it showing up in their appraisal.

That's what independent appraisers are for. They've got no interest in the situation, emotional or otherwise.

The jeweler should have remained professional, but I can understand why he would have been upset. He probably should just have refused to appraise the emerald, because of the conflict of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results