shape
carat
color
clarity

Anything about the heart-shaped stone?

jjmaddison

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I've found a stone, which appears good on paper, but the pic doesn't look good.
Is that because of the picture quality, or it's not worth that indeed?

GIA:
Weight 0.89
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Clarity Characteristics: Feather
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Faint

The picture is attached.

Oh, and the price - it's 2370$.

P.S. I'm not sure if I my bride wants a visible inclusion in the engagement ring.
What you think is the best deal here?
https://www.pricescope.com/diamond-search-results/2423477

_3670.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Agreed with buying for the shape. The one you found has a good defined outline and proportions in my opinion. The brilliant facets hide any inclusions well I think.

not a good choice of stone. it shows direct leakage of light under the table.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah i tbink it looks leaky

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you positive she'll like a heart shaped engagement ring stone? I don't think hearts are known to be super sparkly compared to rounds so it will show more leakage. There is some darkness in the center but not having seen a super well cut heart diamond, I have no idea how this one stacks up in terms of light performance.

luckyerialc

Rough_Rock
It looks a bit leaky. But like others have said, heart shapes are known for their shapes and not light performance. As long as it's eye clean, it should be good.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish she could see a heart shaped diamond next to an ideal cut round because the round will very much outperform the heart. Plus, 20 years from now I think she might regret getting a heart shaped diamond. Is she very young?

The shape of that stone looks okay, but visible inclusions are never okay as far as I am concerned.

jjmaddison

Rough_Rock
At James Allen, is it possible to learn about the cut?

AFAIK, the cut is really important for hearts, but I can't see any information about it there. :(

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you like the shape of the one I picked, you email JA and tell them you are from PS and are concerned about the cut, want a sparkly heart, and is this one a good heart, or not so good heart?

They do 60 day returns, free shipping, if it turns out you don't like it.

jjmaddison

Rough_Rock
Hi, I've just visited James Allen and examined their items.

What do you think about this one?
http://www.jamesallen.com/#!/loose-diamonds/heart-cut/0.90-carat-I-color-VS1-clarity-sku-183602

It's actually 1.5 times more expensive than
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-2752641-0.89-carat-Heart-diamond-H-color-SI1-Clarity.aspx?sku=2752641&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

I wonder what may be the reason.

P.S. That is going to be the engagement ring. And my bride will like the ring anyway, just because it's from me, so I won't take it from her to return ;-)
But I really want it to be great, that's why I read a lot and ask here trying to figure out.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
so im still not clear as to if she wanted a heart or you chose the shape. If she picked it, by all means give the girl what she wants, but if she didnt, i would go with a heart as one of my last choices. if she wants unique theres pears that look very similar but are a bit more timeless. Or ovals, or step cuts too. If you dont think she cares about being unique, go round

jjmaddison

Rough_Rock
Well, yeah, that's my choice, not hers. What's so wrong with a heart diamond? No sparkling?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone in this thread has mentioned that one should only buy hearts because SHE :love: :lickout: :love: hearts, not for light performance.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi JJ,
You're getting some very sound advice here.
Speaking as a married man.....find out what she wants.
A good habit to get into...happy wife, happy life.

I love heart shapes- but they are clearly a "boutique" stone.
Pretty much every shape has its fans and haters.
Even though a round performs better, a fair percentage of folks don;t like a round- but it's still the #1 shape.
By picking heart, you're choosing one of the less popular shapes statistically- hence an even greater chance it won't be what she's been dreaming of.

jjmaddison

Rough_Rock
Ok, so nothing special. Just bad stats. I'll take my chances here.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jjmaddison|1360872485|3380148 said:
Ok, so nothing special. Just bad stats. I'll take my chances here.

Im not sure what you mean.

'What i would do is take her to try on every single shape you and a jeweler can think of at like, .5 ct (incase she chooses a round) so she doesnt get her hopes up on one you cant afford, also you can then surprise her with large than she was expecting... then get her reaction. She might like an E/W fancy brown marquise, who knows

OR if you are trying for a surprise, does she have a pinterest?

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hearts shaped diamonds can be really beautiful, BUT they are specific type of girl who really wants a heart shape. The same can be said for a pear or marquis shape. If she has expressed no interest in any of those very unique shapes, I would stick with something like a round or princess to play it on the safe side.

What kind of jewelry does she wear now? What does she do for a living? What is her clothing style?

Azusa

Rough_Rock
i cant add in terms of technical skills being a newbie myself but i agree with others here unless your girl expressed that she wants a heart, its probably better to play safe with a round. i know you are buying it but ultimately she is the one who wears it. If you were gifted with something so big and personal and wear everyday woouldnt you want something you love to wear too? just a thought

CopperTop

Rough_Rock
It will already represent love because its an engagement ring. A heart is no more romantic than any other shape if that's your concern. It will already have significant sentimental value. The problem is what if she doesn't want to wear a wide shape or she wants something bright and more symmetrical. I like hearts but they wouldn't match any of my other daily wear jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results