shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone worried about wearing their jewelry during this time?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that saying, "What others think of me is none of my business."

No change here.

I don't look at people, with stuff I can't afford, with hate.
What a crappy thing to support. :knockout:

Sounds like more of that guilt/shame garbage.

IF you feel that guilty, then GIVE you diamond to a poor person.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like that saying, "What others think of me is none of my business."

No change here.

I don't look at people, with stuff I can't afford, with hate.
What a crappy thing to support. :knockout:

Sounds like more of that guilt/shame garbage.

It makes me happy to see beautiful jewlery
As a little girl mum would take me window shopping and we would look in the jewlers (and the cake shop) windows and dream

what upsets me more in beautiful jewlery sitting in private collections never being warn (im thinking of the mega rich who collect historic tiaras - i just hope someone is wearing them to dinner or in the bath)

If i met you i would be so disappointed if you didn't have a ring on
i love man bling

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
I live in a neighborhood in Brooklyn which is a mix of affluence and poverty, like a lot of Brooklyn. But even before Covid hit we had been seeing an uptick in homelessness, and petty crime like car windows being smashed and packages stolen. Now that there are so many fewer people on the streets, I honestly feel less safe, and my husband has asked me to wear less jewelry when I do occasionally leave the house. I do still wear it every day while I'm working at home. Though even now that is becoming more fraught, as 30% of my team has been laid off, so I'm having a bit of guilt over even having discretionary income.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am wearing less but it's more due to the fact I'm WFH in sloppy clothes so no need to put on bling. Probably only thing I still wear is stud earrings as I feel naked with no jewellery at all!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in a neighborhood in Brooklyn which is a mix of affluence and poverty, like a lot of Brooklyn. But even before Covid hit we had been seeing an uptick in homelessness, and petty crime like car windows being smashed and packages stolen. Now that there are so many fewer people on the streets, I honestly feel less safe, and my husband has asked me to wear less jewelry when I do occasionally leave the house. I do still wear it every day while I'm working at home. Though even now that is becoming more fraught, as 30% of my team has been laid off, so I'm having a bit of guilt over even having discretionary income.

Times are not good right now
its very sad no matter where one looks
But you can still wear your sparkles around home for us =)2

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not really but then no reason to be worried I guess. Not really going anywhere apart from groceries and then I've got the fashionable hot pink latex gloves on so you wouldn't be able to see a ring anyways. Mainly just wearing them when I'm watching tv which is only at night.

One thing is I worry less about the house getting broken into since someone is ALWAYS home so now I can leave my jewelry box that I usually hide in a spot where I can get to it more easily.

1ofakind

Brilliant_Rock
I’m not doing anything different than usual if I go out. I’m also not leaving the house much. If anything I’m wearing rings at home a bit more because I miss them.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really but then no reason to be worried I guess. Not really going anywhere apart from groceries and then I've got the fashionable hot pink latex gloves on so you wouldn't be able to see a ring anyways. Mainly just wearing them when I'm watching tv which is only at night.

One thing is I worry less about the house getting broken into since someone is ALWAYS home so now I can leave my jewelry box that I usually hide in a spot where I can get to it more easily.

Still be weary
Our country is on lockdown and we had a prowler the other morning just on day break
Im now too scared to sleep
We got our garage tagged so the person had a dam good look around right down the back of the garden

alot of bored kids at home and some are up to no good

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm considered part of an 'at risk' group - so I'm just not leaving the house. I've been wearing my staples; gold hoops or pearl studs, diamond stud in outer hole, plain band and 3 stone, or my 7 stone diamond ring if wearing platinum. I wear them for the same reasons I always did, and enjoy them just as much.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been isolating since January...well, mostly. And with this lockdown effective from tomorrow, I am for sure not going out. But I still wear my bling at home, while I am in bed, exercising, reading etc..lol

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is your local government only allowing one outing/ week or is that self imposed?

We are allowed off our property each day for one hours exercise, and essential food shopping once a week. It's government driven. Apart from the odd emergency shop visit, such as the one I did to a small corner shop a few miles away last week for wine. That was definitely an emergency!

All non-essential businesses have been closed here for a while - this is the third week. There are only food shops, pharmacies & Doctors open. Essential workers are working, but everybody else, where possible, are having to work from home or close. We live in a small village & everybody has managed to relocate work to their homes, with the exception of a Doctor. The government are financially supporting people with 80% of their salary whilst they can't work & employers, where possible, paying the other 20%.

The social distancing thing here has been enforced quite hard & new laws passed to allow patrolling police to stop you & ask where you're going. This weekend was tough in the cities for people in apartments, as the weather was hot & people went out to parks. They mostly did maintain distance from other groups, but were sent on their way by police & park gates were locked. It's strict, but the effects are expected to start showing over this next week with cases & deaths dropping.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are allowed off our property each day for one hours exercise, and essential food shopping once a week. It's government driven. Apart from the odd emergency shop visit, such as the one I did to a small corner shop a few miles away last week for wine. That was definitely an emergency!

All non-essential businesses have been closed here for a while - this is the third week. There are only food shops, pharmacies & Doctors open. Essential workers are working, but everybody else, where possible, are having to work from home or close. We live in a small village & everybody has managed to relocate work to their homes, with the exception of a Doctor. The government are financially supporting people with 80% of their salary whilst they can't work & employers, where possible, paying the other 20%.

The social distancing thing here has been enforced quite hard & new laws passed to allow patrolling police to stop you & ask where you're going. This weekend was tough in the cities for people in apartments, as the weather was hot & people went out to parks. They mostly did maintain distance from other groups, but were sent on their way by police & park gates were locked. It's strict, but the effects are expected to start showing over this next week with cases & deaths dropping.

Fingers crossed.

I am hoping we'll see a drop a few weeks into our lockdown too.

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not wearing rings outside the house because I don't want to have to clean them. No one cares down here otherwise. I have my earrings in, which come out to be cleaned but thats pretty much it.

Jadeite_101

Shiny_Rock
In my country The Philippines we’re in almost week 4 of extreme community quarantine or lockdown. Only essential movements or travel are allowed. Namely to purchase food or medicines, to go see a doctor. Or if you are a healthcare professional or involved in the food business. Also movement or travel is only allowed from 5am to 8pm.

To answer the question YES I still wear jewelry. Jadeite bracelets which I never take off and a Rolex. But nothing “blingy”. I only did wear diamonds and colored stone cocktail rings to parties or to a night out. And that sure isn’t happening now or anytime soon.

Am I worried about wearing jewelry at these harder times?
NO, I feel secure where I am and where I go whenever and if ever I go out.

Is it more a question of propriety and/or guilt?
This question opens up a pandora’s box. Should I stop eating because a lot are going hungry during this times? Should I stop wearing PPE’s or Masks because there’s a shortage? Should I stop driving my car because Public Transport has been suspended? Should I stop wearing jewelry to appease those who find offense in me wearing them? Why end there? Honestly I don’t feel guilt about what I have and how I act even with the current circumstances.

Last edited:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

They wouldn’t be able to afford the insurance!

I don’t feel guilty, I just don’t think it’s appropriate to wear expensive jewellery when people are wondering if they’ll still have a job, a home, or in fact, still be alive when this is over.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They wouldn’t be able to afford the insurance!

I don’t feel guilty, I just don’t think it’s appropriate to wear expensive jewellery when people are wondering if they’ll still have a job, a home, or in fact, still be alive when this is over.

I do hope you're speaking only for yourself.

People vary.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of course! People are free to do whatever they feel is right for them, and I wouldn’t presume to tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t be doing with their jewellery, if it makes them feel better or happy to wear theirs, then good on them. I haven’t been out of the house for a few weeks now, so I’m not wearing any jewellery ATM.

FinleysMom

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am working at home.....I have started wearing MORE of my jewelry..... I have started to put on tops other than sweatshirts..just trying to feel normal in an unprecended time we are going through. I usually take everything off when I get home from work....but now, I am wearing my jewelry .

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, where are you at in nyc @missy ? I hear sirens all the time too but i can't remember if that's always been the case. I live in an okay, not so safe part of Brooklyn - though you wouldn't know know it by housing prices, I pay more for rent per month than my friend pay for her 1.2 million dollar mortgage :cry2:. I don't have any big diamond pieces, my largest diamond is my ering at .7 ct. Maybe i would feel differently if i have expensive jewelry. I do worry about losing my earrings due to snagging on masks and scarves. I feel a little safer actually, because less people are out and about. Maybe criminals are staying in also? I hope I'm not jinxed now that I've typed this! I have a trader joe run tomorrow and will have to go early to wait in line. Argh! There's always a line in normal circumstances and this just makes it 100x worse. I'll wear my daily bling - 3 bracelets, 5 rings, 2 sets of earrings and a few layered necklaces. All very dainty.

Hi @dizzyakira we live in (North) Brooklyn-a hard hit area. Sounds like you might live not that far away. Good luck at TJs today. We do not go there anymore as you wrote it is always crazy crowded at all the TJ locations in Brooklyn. Instead we save TJs for when we are at the Jersey shore but that won't be for a while and I know there are lines everywhere in NYC and NJ due to the social distancing rules.

Stay safe and be well. One day at a time we will get through this. And remember:

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.10.47 PM.png

And ditto for the rest of the world. PSers and their families will persevere. No matter where we live we will not give up. One day at a time and one hour at a time when it becomes overwhelming. Hugs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you’re staying safe there! The silicone bands are a great idea. I love the penguins.

I’ve noticed more sirens as well in our area. We have the ring app and multiple times/ day someone reports some kind of theft (car thefts becoming more common it seems). We’re also seeing more posts asking if anyone has heard gun shots... it’s unnerving.

Thank you. The penguin bands are my favorite. And I love that we have matching penguin bands. Penguins are our favorite birds. They mate for life. And they always dress so smartly.

penguinsinlove.jpg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've put on a ring twice in the last 3 weeks lol. I normally only wear jewellery when I leave the house, but if I'm literally just in my sweats hitting the grocery store (or liquor store) I'm not going to bother. I'm not worried about negative attention, but then again mine are pretty modest for this forum!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't wear my better pieces except for dressier occasions.

It just feels a bit OTT to wear them for grocery shopping and going to the pubs in town, as I do not dress up for such activities.

DK :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results