shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone worried about wearing their jewelry during this time?

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Not for sanitary reasons but because it feels a little show off-y when people are losing jobs at alarming rates? My husband and I live in a middle class neighborhood and are ok but it feels uncomfortable to wear anything aside from my gold bangle (which is always hidden under long sleeves). Sometimes I wear my ring around the house but I always take it off when we leave. We’ve been shopping at more expensive (talking $7.50 for a dozen eggs expensive) grocery stores now as a result of the pandemic because they’re empty but even there it seems inappropriate. And that place is expensive all the time.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think that’s really what people are focusing on. I would imagine most are just concerned with their safety and getting what they need as quickly as possible.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even now, when I leave the house, I always wear my ER on my left hand (do not wear a WB)

1586113359276.jpeg

but instead of wearing one of my colored gemstone rings on my right hand, I've been wearing this sterling British 1917 faith/hope/charity prayer band, as it helps me stay focused on priorities.

1586113449986.jpeg

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I don’t think that’s really what people are focusing on. I would imagine most are just concerned with their safety and getting what they need as quickly as possible.

I suppose that’s true. My thought is it’ll probably take some people a long time to recover from this and it may be uncomfortable wearing jewelry then as well. But I could definitely be overthinking this.

Q

Queenie60

Not really - we live in a town where most have all of their needs and wants met. However, I have not switched out my bling since the shelter in place has been ordered. Simply wearing my diamond stud earrings, my diamond cross, CVB 3/4 eternity band and my simple cuff bracelet. I feel like being simple and basic at a time like this.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Even now, when I leave the house, I always wear my ER on my left hand (do not wear a WB)

1586113359276.jpeg

but instead of wearing one of my colored gemstone rings on my right hand, I've been wearing this sterling British 1917 faith/hope/charity prayer band, as it helps me stay focused on priorities.

1586113449986.jpeg

Your e-ring is gorgeous and I love the idea of your band. I’ve never heard of those types of rings and will have to learn more about them.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Not really - we live in a town where most have all of their needs and wants met. However, I have not switched out my bling since the shelter in place has been ordered. Simply wearing my diamond stud earrings, my diamond cross, CVB 3/4 eternity band and my simple cuff bracelet. I feel like being simple and basic at a time like this.

I’m glad your town is faring well. It’s nice to hear (so far) that everyone feels more or less ok with going about somewhat normally. I‘m a very anxious person and this worry might be fueled by anxiety. For the most part everyone I know is also doing okay as well... even the ones with laid off spouses. However the media is so doom and gloom so I’ve been on edge.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes and this is the first time I ever felt that way. It feels less safe out there now. At least in NYC. The sirens are going off all the time. No exaggeration. And the streets feel less friendly and less safe. If I am being completely honest this is the first time I ever felt like this and I am not wearing any diamonds. But I stopped wearing diamonds just before it started feeling less safe just because everything is harder now so I felt like one less thing to have to clean and worry about. But now I am definitely not wearing my bling. No, that's not true. I am wearing some bling.

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.10.24 PM.png

matchingpenguinrings.png

ensorings.png

#siliconeringsrock

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also am still wearing jewellery. It's not particularly flashy anyway, but my diamond studs & pendant only come off for cleaning & I feel naked without them. The odd time I've left them cleaning over night & my hand has reached to the side of my neck & not located a chain, my stomach has lurched :lol:

I took my rings off 2 weeks ago due to all the hand washing, but we have been isolated for long enough now for me to have relaxed that a little. Obviously we still wash hands before eating & the girls are into the habit of doing it as soon as they've got their wellies off after a walk in the fields, but we are not in contact with anybody other than each other & the odd chat from across the lane with a neighbour. So yesterday I put my engagement & eternity rings back on, and man, they felt huge & sparkly!

I am the designated shopper, but we're only allowed out once a week & I won't wear them then, due to the constant usage of hand santiser, which I tend to do every few minutes in the supermarket.

ETA. I forgot about my two little DBTY bracelets. They are always on too!

Last edited:
Q

Queenie60

I’m glad your town is faring well. It’s nice to hear (so far) that everyone feels more or less ok with going about somewhat normally. I‘m a very anxious person and this worry might be fueled by anxiety. For the most part everyone I know is also doing okay as well... even the ones with laid off spouses. However the media is so doom and gloom so I’ve been on edge.
Yes. The media and many on this forum are doom and gloom. I’m trying to live life as normal as possible while sheltering in place. I hope you find a way to curb your anxiety- have you tried exercising? This is what keeps me sane. I wish you well during these trying times. God bless

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got my CBI soli packed away with my ACA's waiting to be set in a three-stone.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. The media and many on this forum are doom and gloom. I’m trying to live life as normal as possible while sheltering in place. I hope you find a way to curb your anxiety- have you tried exercising? This is what keeps me sane. I wish you well during these trying times. God bless

This. Apart from being restricted to our home & gardens, we are battling on. I watch the Prime Ministers daily live briefing from Downing Street, keep clean & keep mother stocked with food. Apart from that, no news, no doom, daily exercise (I'm sure you've ALL heard about my battles with Joe Bloody Wicks & homeschooling by now!) and yoga, quietly, by myself. We get fresh air daily & laugh lots. We've really excelled as a team under these horrible circumstances.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no, where are you at in nyc @missy ? I hear sirens all the time too but i can't remember if that's always been the case. I live in an okay, not so safe part of Brooklyn - though you wouldn't know know it by housing prices, I pay more for rent per month than my friend pay for her 1.2 million dollar mortgage :cry2:. I don't have any big diamond pieces, my largest diamond is my ering at .7 ct. Maybe i would feel differently if i have expensive jewelry. I do worry about losing my earrings due to snagging on masks and scarves. I feel a little safer actually, because less people are out and about. Maybe criminals are staying in also? I hope I'm not jinxed now that I've typed this! I have a trader joe run tomorrow and will have to go early to wait in line. Argh! There's always a line in normal circumstances and this just makes it 100x worse. I'll wear my daily bling - 3 bracelets, 5 rings, 2 sets of earrings and a few layered necklaces. All very dainty.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I am just wearing a plain band and my engagement ring lately for sparkle. But I have legit only left the house one time in the last 4 weeks and it was for a critical appointment for my daughter. She and I have stayed inside where I know everything is pretty clean. My husband strips and washes himself and his clothes the minute he steps in the door and all his stuff is sanitized when he comes home from work or thr 1x a week grocery shopping. And I was already the crazy who cooked and cleaned in gloves anyway so that's business as usual here. Plus the jewellery gets it's own cleanings too.

I think if I was leaving the house though I would probably take my rings off completely. I highly doubt anybody would want my set since it's a teeny and common halo. But just to be sure I would not want to wear it because it's sentimental to me.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We haven’t been out of the house for nearly 3 weeks, so I haven’t been wearing any bling. When we went out to shop before the lockdown, I deliberately didn’t wear Bella because for the first time, I thought she might attract unwanted attention.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand the sentiment, and I wouldn't wear diamonds either. But I'm not going out except for medical appts.. One hour every six weeks. It's just easier not to wear any jewelry right now. Feels more sanitary?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been isolating for several weeks, save a trip to the grocery store, and I have been wearing my rings. The joy they bring me is worth the extra cleaning they now need. I enjoy glancing down as I work from home and seeing them sparkle back at me. It’s the little things now that matter....

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
no but i'm barely leaving the house. i don't think most people notice what jewelry someone else is wearing unless they're into jewelry themselves (or into stealing jewelry i guess) - where i live it doesn't feel ruder or riskier than usual

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I've been wearing my bling more. I'm at home only as hubby is doing the grocery shopping. So I dress up in jewels for dinner wearing pajamas of coarse. And while I'm working from home, the bling keeps me distracted and calmer. I also really appreciate each piece because I don't know when and if I will get to buy more.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been wearing my bling more...the bling keeps me distracted and calmer. I also really appreciate each piece because I don't know when and if I will get to buy more.

I love this @bling_dream19 ! I feel just like you! Wear it! Enjoy it!
There is so little to find joy in right now, I’ll take happiness wherever I can find it while I am isolated at home.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
Yes and this is the first time I ever felt that way. It feels less safe out there now. At least in NYC. The sirens are going off all the time. No exaggeration. And the streets feel less friendly and less safe. If I am being completely honest this is the first time I ever felt like this and I am not wearing any diamonds. But I stopped wearing diamonds just before it started feeling less safe just because everything is harder now so I felt like one less thing to have to clean and worry about. But now I am definitely not wearing my bling. No, that's not true. I am wearing some bling.

Screen Shot 2020-04-05 at 3.10.24 PM.png

matchingpenguinrings.png

ensorings.png

#siliconeringsrock

I hope you’re staying safe there! The silicone bands are a great idea. I love the penguins.

I’ve noticed more sirens as well in our area. We have the ring app and multiple times/ day someone reports some kind of theft (car thefts becoming more common it seems). We’re also seeing more posts asking if anyone has heard gun shots... it’s unnerving.

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I also am still wearing jewellery. It's not particularly flashy anyway, but my diamond studs & pendant only come off for cleaning & I feel naked without them. The odd time I've left them cleaning over night & my hand has reached to the side of my neck & not located a chain, my stomach has lurched :lol:

I took my rings off 2 weeks ago due to all the hand washing, but we have been isolated for long enough now for me to have relaxed that a little. Obviously we still wash hands before eating & the girls are into the habit of doing it as soon as they've got their wellies off after a walk in the fields, but we are not in contact with anybody other than each other & the odd chat from across the lane with a neighbour. So yesterday I put my engagement & eternity rings back on, and man, they felt huge & sparkly!

I am the designated shopper, but we're only allowed out once a week & I won't wear them then, due to the constant usage of hand santiser, which I tend to do every few minutes in the supermarket.

ETA. I forgot about my two little DBTY bracelets. They are always on too!

Is your local government only allowing one outing/ week or is that self imposed?

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I keep wearing my usual daily pieces (e-ring and stacker bands, studs, and Cartier trinity band as a RHR). We live in a small town and it feels as safe as it always has. The only difference is that the skin on my hands is wicked dry due to all the hand washing and sanitizing, so it's good to have the sparklies to distract from my hands. LOL!

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

We’ve been doing lots of yard work which typically makes me feel better. People are calling this the second Great Depression. I remember how badly the Great Recession affected my parents and how long it took them to get back on their feet. I’m definitely hoping that’s not what happened this time around.

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one thinks my jewellery is real (I think). Small place, rural. So my bling stays. Only ever remove my rings for lifting weight. Nothing else comes between this girl and her best friends LOL

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am definitely wearing less in general and with more a narrowed down look ...tend to stick to a few, very simple basics. Not wearing my ostentatious pieces, either in fine jewelry or costume pieces. Just some SS, CZ hoops, my black jade bangle, my sapphire ering and another colored stone ring...usually a smallish one. It feels at many times, hard to be in the mood, but what drives me is the spirit of the gemstones which I wear. They remind me of longevity, and of all the precious times in my life, which I am very grateful to have experienced. I’ve noticed that I’ve really paired down in the last week.
It doesn’t feel less safe here yet, and people are really working hard to isolate. Doing all my work through tele conferences so Im working but I’m not seeing people in person. A part of me still feels the need to have some kind of normal structure, put on make up, get dressed in day clothes, put on some jewelry, etc. I go to my completely isolated office to work, because I can’t do it with kids at home. Meanwhile, my 2 older kids who are leaving sometime this summer for college, help out with their younger siblings so that my DH can work, all from home. Another reason that I’m wearing less is because, it seems, the house is constantly trashed and needs non stop straightening up! I pay the older ones to do projects around the house, but often, they accomplish one task while leaving a mess. Lol.

Last edited:

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one thinks my jewellery is real (I think). Small place, rural. So my bling stays. Only ever remove my rings for lifting weight. Nothing else comes between this girl and her best friends LOL

Haha same
Also many of my pieces are colored gems and most people don’t really know how to estimate value on them.

I’m not wearing much jewelry at work due to fomite concerns

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I won't wear anything to work for the same reasons MTG mentioned.

I did wear my rubellite earrings yesterday--I felt fancy even if I did nothing!

cheers--Sharon

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This reminds me of the mid 2000 recession where a lot of people were in trouble and I felt terrible wearing any bling. In my case now, I havnt left the house for 3 weeks so it doesn’t matter. Aside from earrings I’m not wearing any bling at all.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
My heart breaks for you New Yorkers
Even though we are in lockdown our curve is starting to flattern, we have only had one death in my country (every kovid 19 death is sad) but we can see light at the end of the tunnel with only 1% (probably a bit higher) community transmission
just stay home as much as you can, stay in your buble and we'll get through this
i certainly understand the fear and anxiety as we had that prowler last week

Wear your beautiful bling around your house
dress for dinner in PJs and pearls

with the change in seasons some of my too tight rings now fit and i find if i wear rings i dont touch my face as much

hugs to all

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results