shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone worked with Benitoite before

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
Recently purchased a set and is wondering if anyone worked with Benitoites before? Are they too soft for bezel setting? My plan is to make a necklace out that set

E H

Rough_Rock
It is possible but definitely not recommended to bezel benitoite. That being said i ve seen someone bezel a highly included paraiba on a 14k gold setting.

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
I see thank you for the feedback. I plan to change to prong setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A bezel is only as good as the jeweler who fashions it. I had a diamond chip in a bezel before, so be careful when choosing anyone to mount stones in such a way.

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
Ughhhh….. yeaaaa, I think if/when I decide to set this set, I’ll use prong setting and 24k yellow gold since it’s softer. It probably won’t be a everyday necklace.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ughhhh….. yeaaaa, I think if/when I decide to set this set, I’ll use prong setting and 24k yellow gold since it’s softer. It probably won’t be a everyday necklace.

I would use a more durable alloy. I’ve even lost stones in 18k before.

24k is way too soft for a secure prong mounting.

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
I
I would use a more durable alloy. I’ve even lost stones in 18k before.

24k is way too soft for a secure prong mounting.
I see!!! I’m not there yet, still in the planning stage. I want to think this through before start setting them into the necklace. According to Yvonne, about 10% of the stones break during the setting process…… so that’s the risk

Thanks for the advice.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
I

I see!!! I’m not there yet, still in the planning stage. I want to think this through before start setting them into the necklace. According to Yvonne, about 10% of the stones break during the setting process…… so that’s the risk

Thanks for the advice.

That is interesting, thanks for the info. Could you please clarify: is the 10% risk for prong setting or bezel setting? A quick google search shows she has sold bezel-set ones before.
I know benitoite is soft, but with its poor cleavage I'm still surprised it is so fragile. However, I am not educated enough on gem toughness or the setting process to know details.

Your benitoite set is very beautiful! Do you mind sharing the total weight? :kiss2:

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
That is interesting, thanks for the info. Could you please clarify: is the 10% risk for prong setting or bezel setting? A quick google search shows she has sold bezel-set ones before.
I know benitoite is soft, but with its poor cleavage I'm still surprised it is so fragile. However, I am not educated enough on gem toughness or the setting process to know details.

Your benitoite set is very beautiful! Do you mind sharing the total weight? :kiss2:

Bezel setting is riskier. Looks like if it breaks, jeweler will supply the replacement at his/her cost; at least a reputable jeweler will. The issue with my set is it’s extremely difficult to find replacement on the big stones when break

I also contacted David Klass regarding to this project, and he is going to take on the project

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, I have quite a few benitoites and most are bezeled. It feels more secure to me. I haven't had a break yet, but I do prepare for that possibility with each project.

I have had Dan M do bezels, DK prong set and Yvonne has done prong and channel. If a vendor sounds less than confident about setting benitoite, believe them and use someone else.

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
Hi, I have quite a few benitoites and most are bezeled. It feels more secure to me. I haven't had a break yet, but I do prepare for that possibility with each project.

I have had Dan M do bezels, DK prong set and Yvonne has done prong and channel. If a vendor sounds less than confident about setting benitoite, believe them and use someone else.

20200725_161225.jpg
20200725_161806.jpg
20200726_154808.jpg
IMG_20200322_121919_793.jpg
20220603_134705.jpg

Yes, wow. Your collection is so beautiful. Yvonne kindly turned down the project as she thought it would be too much risk for her.

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock

Total weight 5.67, with biggest stone 1.01.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I

Thanks for the advice.

2 quick thoughts.

I used 14k gold. I have also previous had a setting in silver.

I had Yvonne set the two rings and the square cuts were originally a set of 7 and one did break. She didn't have another stone to replace it due to the shape. She refunded me the stone and adjusted the design (and included engraving for free) so I felt very well taken care of. Granted she sold me the stones and did the setting.

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
2 quick thoughts.

I used 14k gold. I have also previous had a setting in silver.

I had Yvonne set the two rings and the square cuts were originally a set of 7 and one did break. She didn't have another stone to replace it due to the shape. She refunded me the stone and adjusted the design (and included engraving for free) so I felt very well taken care of. Granted she sold me the stones and did the setting.

I see. It’s different because Yvonne didn’t sell me the stone, so it’s hard for her when it comes to the risk side of setting

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Ah
Yes, wow. Your collection is so beautiful. Yvonne kindly turned down the project as she thought it would be too much risk for her.

Ah. Well that is honest

I don't have a photo of my DK earrings but they weren't bezeled, however he did a great job.

Dan M, who isn't used as much was fabulous with bezels and I had the necklace and earrings bezeled by him with no issues.

Personally. I prefer benitoite bezeled. YMMV.

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
Ah

Ah. Well that is honest

I don't have a photo of my DK earrings but they weren't bezeled, however he did a great job.

Dan M, who isn't used as much was fabulous with bezels and I had the necklace and earrings bezeled by him with no issues.

Personally. I prefer benitoite bezeled. YMMV.

I’m going with David Klass. Necklace is less likely to get damage, plus this isn’t an everyday wear. I plan to use simple design like this.

C91D62AA-463E-4A9D-A6CB-EFA32CB7E71D.jpeg

Attachments

• E4D1AEE2-E0A7-47C1-8ABD-D29B216DB50E.jpeg
    E4D1AEE2-E0A7-47C1-8ABD-D29B216DB50E.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 3

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
That is very impressive. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. Fingers crossed theres no issues.

So looking forward to finish product.

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
So looking forward to finish product.

I love the simple and elegant direction you are going with. It is not common to see benitoite on this forum. I'd love to see the finished result if you choose to share it!

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
I love the simple and elegant direction you are going with. It is not common to see benitoite on this forum. I'd love to see the finished result if you choose to share it!

Happy to share when it’s done. Working with my jeweler in China to build the necklace now. The plan is to start the stone setting over the Memorial Day weekend

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
I had simple dangle earrings made by nnj gemstones on etsy. With tiny benitoite set from the gem trader. (The stone in the earring is a diamond). My niece really liked them and since shes a California girl the 6 stones seemed appropriate. One stone for each member of her family and her new husband is an honorary CA. icm_fullxfull.377468591_azeg4lrfjy80g8kck080.jpg

jiajiexue

Rough_Rock
Looking great. Just gave the stones and mounting to David Klass yesterday, I think the result will look great.

I had simple dangle earrings made by nnj gemstones on etsy. With tiny benitoite set from the gem trader. (The stone in the earring is a diamond). My niece really liked them and since shes a California girl the 6 stones seemed appropriate. One stone for each member of her family and her new husband is an honorary CA. icm_fullxfull.377468591_azeg4lrfjy80g8kck080.jpg

mayday

Shiny_Rock
I'll say! that treatment really makes the stones pop! Great job1

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is truly beautiful, elegant, delicate, lovely, and just about my favorite color! Please inundate us with more shots when you have it in hand.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
That is truly beautiful, elegant, delicate, lovely, and just about my favorite color! Please inundate us with more shots when you have it in hand.

This this this!!! Moar pics

toomuchB

Shiny_Rock
Fantastic piece, enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results