shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone watch Gem tv shows?? Gem Hunt? Game of Stones?

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
lelser|1399863901|3670787 said:
CraigMeade
And as I understand it, the cutting options there are not so good just yet.

They are not, but I've had things quickly "preformed" so that they could be exported as cut stones without losing too much of the material, and then recut them when I got home. It's not uncommon, and a local cutter gets a little money as well.

Cheers,

Lisa
www.lisaelser.com

Lisa,

What gives the amethyst on your website such a unique look? The burst of needle like rays emitting from the center? Is it a special type of cut?

http://www.lisaelser.com/catalog/item/7541615/7979003.htm

Dioptase

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It's a concave cut, psproot12.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
psproot12|1399882380|3670861 said:
Roger Dery|1399821373|3670351 said:
psproot12|1399739892|3669747 said:
Ron is Canadian! :lol: :lol: I don't really feel that way because Ron often is the first Westerner to come to some of the mines for gems, few people are willing to risk it and that's why middlemen stand to make so much money. It's rare that local dealers pay a fraction of what Ron is willing to pay.
From my experience I can't say (the part that I've bolded) is accurate. In an interview that I witnessed at this past year's Tucson show, American Gem Trade Association's CEO Doug Hucker stated that roughly 25% of the 400+ Firm Members have traveled to local areas to buy cut goods and/or gem rough [at least once]. But many routinely visit remote mining locations or buy at local trading markets.

Noted that this figure does not include those who are AGTA Associate Members, or members of the International Colored Stone Association (ICA), other groups or free-lancers.

psproot12 - please know I am not picking on you or being 'snarky'. This is about creating an accurate portrayal of what actually takes place "on the ground" in remote areas where gems or gem roughs are traded.

There's a huge difference between going to a gem dealer in Thailand and going directly to mines in Ehtiopia. There really aren't that many gem buyers willing to go into the really remote locations, but again I'm not an expert, if you want a real accurate portrayal I guess the only way to see is to go on location yourself.

psproot12 - yes, there is a huge difference - as you've noted and I am not disputing either. That being said, there are more gem buyers making the effort than you give credit - and I am just referring to North American gem people as that is where my knowledge base is.

As for going on location, yes it is true that is the way to go if having an accurate portrayal is important to you. And some gem dealers and gem cutters who frequent this forum do just that, including Lisa who was mentioned upthread. It's a gutsy thing to do, and even more so for women.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
psproot12|1399882756|3670863 said:
I expected to find lots of other fans but I found a lot of cynics and skeptics (not that that's a bad thing :D ). Also the Game of Stones guy buy it off a local Masai tribe, I don't know if that's the reason they may have been able to buy it.
psproot12, even though this is a consumer-based forum, in the colored stone section there are many very knowledgeable people. So when a show comes along like Game of Stones where some situations may appear contrived, they are likely to discount the balance of the show. This doesn't mean they don't enjoy it just the same. Though, the show may drop down a little on their believe-ability-factor.

The town of Merelani, which is the closest village or town to the Tanzanite mining sites, is basically a Masaai town. The single 'main' street is a one-way narrow road where the Masaai gem traders line both sides with chairs and small tables. As one drives by, you can review their goods and make offers as the car/vehicle creeps along. It is a very funny thing to watch.

If the guys from Game of Stones bought a significant crystal, it likely happened in this location.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
psproot12|1399372085|3667103 said:
TL|1399359302|3667064 said:
Elliot86|1399350203|3667010 said:
Gem Hunt is sort of cool, the locations they visit, although the profits they claim to make are laughable at best.

Game of Stones is a joke. If I wanted to see dyed and heated gravel I'd go to the mall.

I agree, "Game of Stones' is a joke, and an insult to people that really deal in fine gems all over the world.

What are you guys talking about? How man episodes of Game of Stones have you guys seen? They only time there was dying on the shoe was when a parcel of Turkish Blue had been swapped with dyed material. The Gem Guys own a zualtanite mine, and have/have sold some of the largest and best tanzanites (namuniyak) and paraibas ever sold. I think you're really underestimating the show. Yeah, some of the stones they head (rubies, tanzanite) but they had a beautiful emerald that they didn't treat at all.

Even if you don't like the stones, the shows are super entertaining IMO. Really hope Game of Stones gets a second season, seems like it's too late for Gem Hunt to get a second season :(sad

I don't know if you were joking or not but I've been to the Csarite mine in Turkey. It is NOT owned by Don Kogan or Tony Diniz and the bit about them buying that mine was worse than a fairy tale starting with Once Upon A Time! :errrr: The programme was pure fiction.

Although Csarite/Turkish Diaspore is found with Bauxite, the only Bauxite mine in that area is owned by a Turkish gentleman (not the one shown in the show) and it's the ONLY mine that is producing Csarite. Also - ask yourself how Gavin "the gem expert" managed to find - in one day in a supposedly abandoned mine - a seam of Csarite that yielded (with a pick axe) in two days over 200cts of facetable stones! Absolute rubbish. To give you an indication of just how stupid and unrealistic these programmes are (totally fiction made for the camera), here's a picture of a large piece of rough that had been discarded while I was at the real mine that would only yield approximately 0.5ct.

As for the other programmes in that series? :lol: :-o :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

img_0174.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way Gavin who "cut" the Emerald and Tanzanite in Game of Stones is NOT a lapidarist. There's no way he was cutting any of those stones (as has astutely been mentioned previously). He started life working with Thaigem and then went on to source stones for GemsTV before leaving (at the same time as Don Kogan) to set up Rocks & Co with the Diniz brothers.

The "auction" with the Masai tribe was not real. Think about it logically - Apparently the team are the only gem hunters in the world who have miraculously found the Masai tribesman who has had the stone for years. And goodness me, what a coincidence but there's an auction in the next few days!

Cue the auction - only the stupid westerners turn up with a sack full of cash and the local "gem dealers" - hired actors - bid right up to, surprise surprise the $400k that Don/Tony are prepared to pay and just when they thought they had lost the auction Tony pulls another $10k out of his pocket that he was going to use as expenses (as you do).

They then walk out of the auction without any guards and take it straight to a makeshift cutting house where Gavin then (using the most basic of equipment) starts faceting the stone. Ask yourself - you've just spent nearly half a million on a stone and you let your "gem expert" (who in another programme identified a piece of Csarite as definitely being Csarite because it has the right colour change!!!!!!!!!!!!!) start hacking away at it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LD|1399908754|3671026 said:
By the way Gavin who "cut" the Emerald and Tanzanite in Game of Stones is NOT a lapidarist. There's no way he was cutting any of those stones (as has astutely been mentioned previously). He started life working with Thaigem and then went on to source stones for GemsTV before leaving (at the same time as Don Kogan) to set up Rocks & Co with the Diniz brothers.

The "auction" with the Masai tribe was not real. Think about it logically - Apparently the team are the only gem hunters in the world who have miraculously found the Masai tribesman who has had the stone for years. And goodness me, what a coincidence but there's an auction in the next few days!

Cue the auction - only the stupid westerners turn up with a sack full of cash and the local "gem dealers" - hired actors - bid right up to, surprise surprise the $400k that Don/Tony are prepared to pay and just when they thought they had lost the auction Tony pulls another $10k out of his pocket that he was going to use as expenses (as you do).

They then walk out of the auction without any guards and take it straight to a makeshift cutting house where Gavin then (using the most basic of equipment) starts faceting the stone. Ask yourself - you've just spent nearly half a million on a stone and you let your "gem expert" (who in another programme identified a piece of Csarite as definitely being Csarite because it has the right colour change!!!!!!!!!!!!!) start hacking away at it.

So you're saying you find it totally authentic, LD? :bigsmile: :lol: :wavey:

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LD, you went into much greater detail than I did! But I agree with every word, it's so contrived it made my head hurt.

But I loved to watch it for the laughs.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1399915303|3671090 said:

So you're saying you find it totally authentic, LD? :bigsmile: :lol: :wavey:

And there was me thinking I was being subtle :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FrekeChild|1399915638|3671093 said:
LD, you went into much greater detail than I did! But I agree with every word, it's so contrived it made my head hurt.

It certainly is very good for a laugh! It just makes me mad that people get sucked in by this rubbish and think it's true!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LD|1399918123|3671119 said:
FrekeChild|1399915638|3671093 said:

It certainly is very good for a laugh! It just makes me mad that people get sucked in by this rubbish and think it's true!
I know! I hate to think of all of the people who think that this is how the industry operates on a large scale.

And I feel sorry for anyone buying those sunset rubies thinking that they got a spectacular deal on a rare and expensive stone. :nono:

CraigMeade

Rough_Rock
psproot12|1399882756|3670863 said:
CraigMeade|1399841989|3670593 said:
psproot12|1399760712|3669984 said:
All I meant was that gem hunters are able to find amazing stones at prices gem brokers/dealers aren't because they deal with less middlemen. The namunyak is one of the largest tanzanites ever and it was discovered in Game of Stones.

I'm somewhat sceptical about the namunyak. I haven't seen the whole show, just a clip, but a couple things leap out...

1) It's very illegal in Tanzania to buy off people that aren't licensed dealers. From memory you can't export rough stones either.

2) The stone they show is not nearly big enough to be the world's largest or even one of the largest. I think the largest on record is in the order of 16,000 carats. Tanzanite One has it on display at their mine offices.

So then why did they make those claims on Game of Stones? I have seen the whole episode and they definitely call it "record breaking", but based I don't even know what to think anymore. I expected to find lots of other fans but I found a lot of cynics and skeptics (not that that's a bad thing :D ). Also the Game of Stones guy buy it off a local Masai tribe, I don't know if that's the reason they may have been able to buy it.

Several of my other favorite shows are/were on travel channel Bizarre Foods (currently America(s)), No reservations, etc. Have you interacted with anybody on these shows? Doubt it given the "travel" nature of travel channel. Anyway, wish you success with your Red Bull show and hopefully in a couple of years you will be able to pitch Ron or another gem hunter and get another gem show.

To be blunt, the audience doesn't care if it's truthful, they only care that it is exciting and entertaining. Sad but true. You may be different, I am different, most everybody on this forum may be different, but we're just to .01% that care. I believe TV can be truthful AND entertaining, but most successful factual TV producers would call me stuffy for having that attitude. We are all closer to Barnum and Bailey than we are to Woodward and Bernstein.

CraigMeade

Rough_Rock

Logic is always the best test. Nice analysis. And I'll bet the show rated its butt off anyway.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It is spooky how many people believe the stuff they see on "reality" shows -- or don't even need stated reality. This makes me remember the sales clerk I talked to recently who said, "I know all about how the government works. I watch West Wing!"

--- Laurie

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1399932241|3671279 said:
It is spooky how many people believe the stuff they see on "reality" shows -- or don't even need stated reality. This makes me remember the sales clerk I talked to recently who said, "I know all about how the government works. I watch West Wing!"

--- Laurie
Oh goodness. This brought back memories of my dad yelling at the TV while watching the courtroom scenes in Law & Order. He was an attorney for 40+ years, and was always pissed about how awful they'd do the legal proceedings scenes. "OBJECTION YOUR HONOR!" haunted my dreams as a child....

But people think that what is presented to them on the TV is real and exactly how it works! And that's scary!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
You're acting like I said Game of Stones was 100% real, no I said it was entertaining and it is. You get to see some nice zaultanite and tanzanite and there's good drama. Gem Hunt is my real favorite and very little of it is twisted or edited to tell a story.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
No, psproot, sorry, I was not writing about you -- just people in general. Didn't mean it to sound pointed at you, I apologize. I do disagree about Gem Hunt, though -- it was so unlikely & hokey, I kept bursting into laughter while watching it. I read online that Ron is actually a bartender in Toronto, don't know if that's true, but he doesn't show any more knowledge of gems than if he were. The one about the emeralds in Colombia gave me a big fat hoot -- guns & dangerous banditos all over & they sashay in flashing dollars. Mr. Colombian Capone puts a pile of cut emeralds on the table; they slide them back & forth on the tabletop -- if they'd been genuine & not glass, they would have been irreparably scratched. And nobody can afford to go halfway around the world & buy ONE stone only, unless he found the Hope Diamond every single trip. The chick does not make purses in real life. I could go on -- if it's fun to watch, that's great. But keep in mind that it's fiction.

--- Laurie

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
CraigMeade|1399928633|3671218 said:
To be blunt, the audience doesn't care if it's truthful, they only care that it is exciting and entertaining. Sad but true.

The director of a nonprofit I work with has been approached multiple times about doing a reality show. Knowing how they make everybody look crazy, she's said no each time even though it would probably bring us some very much needed funds. I'm always sort of amazed anybody agrees to go on a reality show at all. :/

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Good for her, DJ. They have to create conflict -- and in the internet age, as nasty conflict as possible -- so it presents an unrecognizable portrait. My guilty secret is the Million Dollar Listing series -- it's a lot of fun to watch but I take it as fiction. If realtors actually behaved like the dolts on those programs, they would never sell anything with all the time they spend beating each other up. Your director has her head on straight!

--- Laurie

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
JewelFreak|1399981902|3671587 said:
No, psproot, sorry, I was not writing about you -- just people in general. Didn't mean it to sound pointed at you, I apologize. I do disagree about Gem Hunt, though -- it was so unlikely & hokey, I kept bursting into laughter while watching it. I read online that Ron is actually a bartender in Toronto, don't know if that's true, but he doesn't show any more knowledge of gems than if he were. The one about the emeralds in Colombia gave me a big fat hoot -- guns & dangerous banditos all over & they sashay in flashing dollars. Mr. Colombian Capone puts a pile of cut emeralds on the table; they slide them back & forth on the tabletop -- if they'd been genuine & not glass, they would have been irreparably scratched. And nobody can afford to go halfway around the world & buy ONE stone only, unless he found the Hope Diamond every single trip. The chick does not make purses in real life. I could go on -- if it's fun to watch, that's great. But keep in mind that it's fiction.

--- Laurie

He's not a bartender, he owns a bar. And it's not that fake, I mean ask Craig he worked on the show. They definitely weren't dealing with glass emeralds. Maybe they used glass for the shot, but he definitely is buying some real stones, and they usually make 5-10k profit per trip after expenses. Does that mean none of the situations are contrived? No, but there is definite gap between complete fiction and reality tv.

I also love Million Dollar Listing NY and LA! Fredrick is my favorite, and you can simply search his sales online, he is definitely a successful agent. I hate Josh Altman though, so much. Him and Heather can go f... :lol: :lol:

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Dioptase

ok, thanks

CraigMeade

Rough_Rock
psproot12|1400024455|3672113 said:

--- Laurie

He's not a bartender, he owns a bar. And it's not that fake, I mean ask Craig he worked on the show. They definitely weren't dealing with glass emeralds. Maybe they used glass for the shot, but he definitely is buying some real stones, and they usually make 5-10k profit per trip after expenses. Does that mean none of the situations are contrived? No, but there is definite gap between complete fiction and reality tv.

I also love Million Dollar Listing NY and LA! Fredrick is my favorite, and you can simply search his sales online, he is definitely a successful agent. I hate Josh Altman though, so much. Him and Heather can go f... :lol: :lol:

Hi, Ron and Diane used to own the Colored Stone bar in Toronto. He's not a bartender, but would be a very good one I reckon. He is a GIA trained gemmologist.

I thought all the emeralds we showed in Colombia were sitting on white paper. Ron did buy other emeralds, I thought we showed that too.

Diane designs the handbags and has other people make them. My wife has one.

As for authenticity, all shows need a little help, we heat treat them to add some clarity or help the color a little. If you get my drift. But I do want to be as real as is possible. Telling outright lies would be bad.

But I'm glad the show is fun for you, because that really is the most important factor for me. Thank you for watching.

CraigMeade

Rough_Rock
deskjockey|1399985224|3671615 said:
CraigMeade|1399928633|3671218 said:
To be blunt, the audience doesn't care if it's truthful, they only care that it is exciting and entertaining. Sad but true.

The director of a nonprofit I work with has been approached multiple times about doing a reality show. Knowing how they make everybody look crazy, she's said no each time even though it would probably bring us some very much needed funds. I'm always sort of amazed anybody agrees to go on a reality show at all. :/

Crazy people make the best TV. Except for maybe Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs, pretty much everybody else you see on TV who is a good performer is 100% lunatic. Without doubt. We don't make them look crazy. They come that way. And where would we be without them? I have to be a connoisseur of crazy to succeed in my job.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CraigMeade|1400026137|3672135 said:

--- Laurie

Hi, Ron and Diane used to own the Colored Stone bar in Toronto. He's not a bartender, but would be a very good one I reckon. He is a GIA trained gemmologist.

I thought all the emeralds we showed in Colombia were sitting on white paper. Ron did buy other emeralds, I thought we showed that too.

As for authenticity, all shows need a little help, we heat treat them to add some clarity or help the color a little. If you get my drift. But I do want to be as real as is possible. Telling outright lies would be bad.

But I'm glad the show is fun for you, because that really is the most important factor for me. Thank you for watching.

Craig - I think I've just fallen a little bit in love with you ;-)

If you haven't watched Game of Stones (and I suspect you have) it unfortunately falls into the outright lies category!!!

CraigMeade

Rough_Rock
LD|1400027995|3672163 said:
CraigMeade|1400026137|3672135 said:

--- Laurie

Craig - I think I've just fallen a little bit in love with you ;-)

If you haven't watched Game of Stones (and I suspect you have) it unfortunately falls into the outright lies category!!!

What a nice thing to read. :wavey:

I haven't gotten to watch Game of Thrones yet as it hasn't made it to New Zealand TV yet - but it's coming soon I hear. Doesn't Weather Channel have a gem show too? What is that one like?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
CraigMeade|1400032715|3672218 said:

I haven't gotten to watch Game of Thrones yet as it hasn't made it to New Zealand TV yet - but it's coming soon I hear. Doesn't Weather Channel have a gem show too? What is that one like?
Game of Thrones is an HBO drama that is based on books by George RR Martin. Good stuff, I highly recommend it.

Game of Stones is wretched, but I think it was on the travel channel? Terrible....

CraigMeade

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild|1400042083|3672344 said:
CraigMeade|1400032715|3672218 said:

Game of Thrones is an HBO drama that is based on books by George RR Martin. Good stuff, I highly recommend it.

Game of Stones is wretched, but I think it was on the travel channel? Terrible....

Freudian slip. Yes, I meant Stones, not thrones, bones or loans or any of the other variations on TV right now. Thank you.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are quite a few reality TV shows that are trying to capitalize on names that sound like Game of Thrones, so it's easy to do!

psproot12

Shiny_Rock
Craig,

I am shocked by your honesty, my level of respect for you has gone up to an EVEN higher level! Any update on the Red Bull pilot?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results