shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone want to help with my setting? The struggle is real! (2.10ct, O color, AVR)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s been a little while, but as some of you may know, I managed to snag a gorgeous AVR diamond from the lovely @HS4S_2. It’s a diamond that I’ve been in love with for years and years! Since @diamondseeker2006 debuted her in a gorgeous CvB Casablanca setting. And when @HS4S_2 snapped her up, I was green with envy. But the fates were with me because here we all are these years later, and I finally get my chance to wear her on my greedy finger. :mrgreen: Now, I just need help with the setting.

IMG_9848.jpeg

It took a while, but I already have an idea of how I’d like to set her. I found this setting online (top pic) and I loved the shape of the middle part. I’ve decided to go with ruby french cuts for this project, since I already have an emerald halo ring and I want to mix it up a bit.

IMG_9850.jpeg

Edit to call on a couple of my tried and true PSers. You guys were beyond helpful while I was designing Clover and I could sure use your amazing eyes. @Rfisher @CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Last edited:

molecule

Brilliant_Rock
I love your Photoshop model - will you be doing a YG tapered solitaire shank into the halo? The shank looks very delicate by comparison to the halo, my preference would be for a reverse taper.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DK got me my first CAD asap, which was exciting. It turns out, this was @mrs-b ’s cad from one of her projects. I asked her if she had the same inspo pic but nope. Who knew we could start from such different places and still end up in almost the same place. :lol:

DK 102053-QUAD-2.jpeg
IMG_9728.jpeg

I asked for a few small adjustments. I also tapered the shank so it would be more narrow towards the top. So here’s CAD# 2.

DK 102053-QUAD-3.jpeg

There was some miscommunication with what I wanted for the gallery so we adjusted that with cad 3.
DK 102053-QUAD-4.jpeg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so cad 3 is where I’m stuck. I’ve been pondering it for almost a month now, without making any progress, so I’m reaching out to my bling friends for help.

I am planning 2 tone. White gold & peach or antique gold.

Initially, I was thinking about keeping the shank solid gold, with no diamonds, but I’ve changed my mind. I definitely want some diamonds on the shank to play up the bling factor a bit. I just don’t know the best way to accomplish that. I could do something like one of these (the 2nd or 3rd options from the left), but I am open to ideas if you have any that you think would look good with my setting.
IMG_9781.jpeg

I’m also wondering if a straight up bezel is right for me. I love Clover’s faux bezel because it still allowed for those beautiful claw prongs. I can’t find any good examples of a round faux bezel to see if I even like the idea. There’s the CvB Casablanca, but that’s not precisely round. For people with bezel set rings, do you love the look compared to prong set?

I’m also stuck on the gallery. It’s a little too tight / busy for my taste. I’d like to use something a little more open. Please share ideas, because I really, really need them. lol.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your Photoshop model - will you be doing a YG tapered solitaire shank into the halo? The shank looks very delicate by comparison to the halo, my preference would be for a reverse taper.
Thank you. I tried a million and one things before finally settling on one that felt like me.

For the shank, do you mean one that tapers like this? Heavier / wider toward the bottom? Because that’s exactly what I was planning on.
IMG_9851.jpeg

I have no comments on the CAD but just came to say it's going to look amazing!
Aw, thank you! I really hope it does. I have zero experience with rubies so fingers crossed. ;)2

I love the idea of small diamonds on the shank - I’d go with something like the middle option from the one you posted. Only thing is I wonder if it would look a bit out of place with the Ruby halo… would you do a Ruby melee shank? Or maybe a very very thin diamond outline around the Ruby halo (not just the outside, but following the shape of the petals), to make it pop even more and make it cohesive with the shank?

The Ruby halo itself is a gorgeous idea. Love it, no notes. The shape is stunning!

I feel like a ring like this is crying out for 8 tiny claw prongs and a faux bezel, personally.

Can’t wait to see where you end up!

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am going to look closer later because I am off to the airport, but wanted to express my excitement for you!! Yay! Whhhhooooooo!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the idea of small diamonds on the shank - I’d go with something like the middle option from the one you posted. Only thing is I wonder if it would look a bit out of place with the Ruby halo… would you do a Ruby melee shank? Or maybe a very very thin diamond outline around the Ruby halo (not just the outside, but following the shape of the petals), to make it pop even more and make it cohesive with the shank?

The Ruby halo itself is a gorgeous idea. Love it, no notes. The shape is stunning!

I feel like a ring like this is crying out for 8 tiny claw prongs and a faux bezel, personally.

Can’t wait to see where you end up!
It would be a diamonds in the shoulders / shank. I’m worried the ruby halo may be too muted (compared to diamonds) so putting a few into the shoulders would brighten it right up. I did that with my Clover ring (below) and I love how it blends with the center diamond.

I’m really leaning towards a faux bezel and sharp little claw prongs. I just need to find a good visual example.
IMG_9861.jpeg

I am going to look closer later because I am off to the airport, but wanted to express my excitement for you!! Yay! Whhhhooooooo!
Thank you! I’ve been sitting on this project for too long now! :lol:

HS4S_2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, so cad 3 is where I’m stuck. I’ve been pondering it for almost a month now, without making any progress, so I’m reaching out to my bling friends for help.

I am planning 2 tone. White gold & peach or antique gold.

Initially, I was thinking about keeping the shank solid gold, with no diamonds, but I’ve changed my mind. I definitely want some diamonds on the shank to play up the bling factor a bit. I just don’t know the best way to accomplish that. I could do something like one of these (the 2nd or 3rd options from the left), but I am open to ideas if you have any that you think would look good with my setting.
IMG_9781.jpeg

I’m also wondering if a straight up bezel is right for me. I love Clover’s faux bezel because it still allowed for those beautiful claw prongs. I can’t find any good examples of a round faux bezel to see if I even like the idea. There’s the CvB Casablanca, but that’s not precisely round. For people with bezel set rings, do you love the look compared to prong set?

I’m also stuck on the gallery. It’s a little too tight / busy for my taste. I’d like to use something a little more open. Please share ideas, because I really, really need them. lol.

I definitely prefer the faux bezel. I am having a full bezel made with a rose cut right now but it's only because I don't like prongs on rose cuts. I think the tiny claws are beautiful.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I could do something like one of these (the 2nd or 3rd options from the left), but I am open to ideas if you have any that you think would look good with my setting.
IMG_9781.jpeg

Awesome project!

IMHO the tiny diamonds on the side do not add much bling. Have you considered baguettes or bullets?

I agree a plain bezel would be boring. I think they are great for rose cuts but I don’t think a plain bezel will give you the amount of detail that you seem to want for this project. You could try a more ornate bezel. This one is from DK’s instagram.

1716430434920.png

My faux bezel rounds have tiny claw prongs but they are compass set.

IMG_9255.jpeg

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, obviously, I'm gonna LOVE the shape! And - rubies?? Perfecto!!

For my taste, I'd go with french cuts or baguettes on the shank, because I think a lot of tiny detail is at odds with the strong, clean lines and colors of the rest of the ring, and would be more cohesive with the larger facets of the AVR.

One question, tho. I've seen that diamond, and it's the purest gold. So I'm not sure where the white metal will go? Personally, I'd stay with warmer tones, rather than introducing a white metal (cold tones) into what looks (in my head) to be the purest autumnal color palette.

And just to speak to a comment above - a reverse taper is when the band gets wider at the head, and is slimmer at the back. Ergo - the reverse of what you're having. Personally, I like it the way you have it and would keep it the way it is.

Re the basket - I have no thoughts on how it could be improved and think it's very pretty as presented in CAD #3, tho I'm sure you'll come up with something fabulous!

I can't wait to see this ring - it's going to be EPIC!

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
taste. I’d like to use something a little more open. Please share ideas, because I really, really need them. lol.
sooo left field
You_Doodle_2024-05-23T04_55_37Z.jpeg

I can’t find any good examples of a round faux bezel to see if I even like the idea
Looked around for this for my blue sapphire. I couldn’t really find any :(

Eta-
All I see is kissing lips now, on that first suggestion. So yeah strike that - lol!

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Bezel/prong combo edcamplet Screenshot_20240523-184913.png

I would be wary of overcomplicating this ring, though. The stone is so perfect and the halo so impressive, I don't think you need too many more extra details...

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely prefer the faux bezel. I am having a full bezel made with a rose cut right now but it's only because I don't like prongs on rose cuts. I think the tiny claws are beautiful.
It’s decided then. I’m going to ask for a faux bezel. I will have to try and find some better picture examples, so I get the exact look I’m going for, but pretty much just the clean faux bezel I have with Clover.

Awesome project!

IMHO the tiny diamonds on the side do not add much bling. Have you considered baguettes or bullets?

I agree a plain bezel would be boring. I think they are great for rose cuts but I don’t think a plain bezel will give you the amount of detail that you seem to want for this project. You could try a more ornate bezel. This one is from DK’s instagram.

1716430434920.png

My faux bezel rounds have tiny claw prongs but they are compass set.

IMG_9255.jpeg
What a lovely ring! :love: I think your faux bezels were done perfectly.

As for my ring, I’m not looking for anything ornate for the bezel. I’m already going to have a ruby halo, which will be doing a lot of the work imo, so the faux bezel is just a way for me to have the look of a thin bezel while still having perfectly adorable little claw prongs. Hope that makes more sense.

No baguettes or bullets for me. They’re not my style, sadly.

Well, obviously, I'm gonna LOVE the shape! And - rubies?? Perfecto!!

For my taste, I'd go with french cuts or baguettes on the shank, because I think a lot of tiny detail is at odds with the strong, clean lines and colors of the rest of the ring, and would be more cohesive with the larger facets of the AVR.

One question, tho. I've seen that diamond, and it's the purest gold. So I'm not sure where the white metal will go? Personally, I'd stay with warmer tones, rather than introducing a white metal (cold tones) into what looks (in my head) to be the purest autumnal color palette.

And just to speak to a comment above - a reverse taper is when the band gets wider at the head, and is slimmer at the back. Ergo - the reverse of what you're having. Personally, I like it the way you have it and would keep it the way it is.

Re the basket - I have no thoughts on how it could be improved and think it's very pretty as presented in CAD #3, tho I'm sure you'll come up with something fabulous!

I can't wait to see this ring - it's going to be EPIC!

:kiss2::kiss2::kiss2::kiss2:
Autumnal is a hugely underrated word imo. I’m just sitting here trying to picture you saying it with your lovely Australian accent and thinking …how charming. :mrgreen:

I would very much like to try for a peach or antique gold blend, but I’ll admit I’m still nervous. I’m a white gold or rose gold gal, so this is a departure for me. I haven’t even decided how I’ll make it 2 tone yet. :shifty: I’ve considered keeping it all one color yellow gold, but I feel like it would be too much yellow for me. I even have a picture chart for reference. I realize that my diamond is likely warmer than the ones in the all white gold section, which is why I was leaning two tone.

IMG_9886.jpeg

Ah, light bulb moment for the reverse taper. Those are lovely, but I prefer a wider bottom to help balance out the weight of the ring better (so it spins less).

sooo left field
You_Doodle_2024-05-23T04_55_37Z.jpeg

Looked around for this for my blue sapphire. I couldn’t really find any :(

Eta-
All I see is kissing lips now, on that first suggestion. So yeah strike that - lol!

Dang it, why did you have to bring up lips. Now all I see it lips. :lol:

Bezel/prong combo edcamplet Screenshot_20240523-184913.png

I would be wary of overcomplicating this ring, though. The stone is so perfect and the halo so impressive, I don't think you need too many more extra details...
Thank you. I started out with just a plain shank, but we all know how that goes. lol. Though I did see this lovely shank that I’m sure is from a PSers ring, though I can’t remember whose at the moment. I like how it’s still simple, but those two lines of milgrain give it the sweetest touch.

IMG_9887.jpeg

I love the more floral, free flowing design here, but I would have to change the middle (All I can see is a nose). :D

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b
Have you ever shown your ring from this cad? :love:

@elle_71125
:smackshead:
Yikes - a nose….
…..I see it now.
I’m going to go sit in the corner for a little bit.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b

@elle_71125
Yikes - a nose….
…..I see it now.

No - I never made it. It was just a design I did. I loved it and had thought about it for a diamond with diamond melee in the halo. Went another direction in the end.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b

@elle_71125
Yikes - a nose….
…..I see it now.

:lol: Oh no, please don’t. I love your eye for detail!
(Much like the lips, once seen, it can not be unseen. lol)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results