shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone wanna help me find a 6.0-6.5 round blue spinel?

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just for fun? A very good cut. I don't want it too dark.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Contact Barry - he seems to be the king of round blue spinels

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh believe me. We've spoken. He's my gotoguy.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I'm with Davi, Athena. Have paid regular visits to that spinel of Peter's. I already have one waiting to be set or it would be on my desk right now!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not crazy about the blue spinel by PT, it’s quite grayish and towards the dark side in tone. I’ll still stick to Barry if he’s able to come up with something, plus I love the round design he opts to use.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
Hi !!!!!!!!!!
I don't know if Barry cuts to order, though ?
Anyway, in my experience if you can't "click" on a PT picture, the stone is no longer available,
or am I wrong?
IF I AM WRONG, PLEASE LET ME KNOW, he has a few stones that I LOVEEEEEE........

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A nice blue spinel can be difficult to find as many are very dark and/or greyish. If both dark and greyish, well, that's a double whammy for me, although some people might like them. When I look for blue spinels, I've had better luck with medium to medium light tones, as the color is easier to see, even if greyish, at least it will sparkle. To find a blue spinel with good saturation in a medium to medium light tone is a bit more of a challenge, but they are out there if you look hard enough. I saw the most gorgeous powder blue Tanzanian spinel from "Love in Bloom" in an old thread, it was cut by Barry. He told me they're not mining those anymore!! ;(

I'm sure if a round powder blue spinel came up for sale from any of the lapidaries, it would be snapped up in two nanoseconds. You can always hope though.

ETA: Found the photo of Barry's powder blue spinel owned by "Love In Bloom" - oh man, now that's a dream stone for me as far as a blue spinel goes. I always search out stones like this.

file.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I saw that Barry had a blue spinel last night (total conincidence, btw) and I didn't see it! I sat here for 5 minutes refreshing and when I thought the drop was done, I left work, but damn if he didn't sneak that one in. GRR! I guess i'll just hold out for it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry mentioned to me that he had more rough to cut - one violet/purple - on it way to me for viewing; and some dark blue - obviously that was part of his drop on Wednesday night. From the way I understood it, it sounded like he might have more rough, and that was why I was suggesting him. He also said that it is dark...

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
minousbijoux|1303419580|2902143 said:
Barry mentioned to me that he had more rough to cut - one violet/purple - on it way to me for viewing; and some dark blue - obviously that was part of his drop on Wednesday night. From the way I understood it, it sounded like he might have more rough, and that was why I was suggesting him. He also said that it is dark...

It's the medium to medium light blue spinels that are the most difficult to find in my estimation, especially that powder blue like LoveInBloom's stone above. I hope he gets more lighter toned stuff in one of these days.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup, TL, agreed, it just seemed like Athenaworth was mentioning that she wished she had gotten Barry's blue spinel that was part of last night's drop; since (I think) he has more from that rough, I thought AW might be interested.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
ooo~Shiney!|1303387927|2901748 said:
Hi !!!!!!!!!!
Anyway, in my experience if you can't "click" on a PT picture, the stone is no longer available,
or am I wrong?

It is not so.
I used to have a terrible time with photos on his site because I was using a terribly outdated computer with a jurassic OS.
I just checked and there is a stone on his site that I bought a year ago, and it is still clickable. Thus there is no meaning regarding availability to be inferred from a picture clickability on his site.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1303431521|2902291 said:
Yup, TL, agreed, it just seemed like Athenaworth was mentioning that she wished she had gotten Barry's blue spinel that was part of last night's drop; since (I think) he has more from that rough, I thought AW might be interested.
I actually asked him about that last night and he said that was the last of stock.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Finding a nice blue spinel is hard, as others have said. It might take a while; I spent over a year looking for an fine, heat only ruby and I finally found one. Oddly, I've crossed off three of the gems on my 'list' in the past few months, though I've been looking for each for a while. It was probably a combination of a) persistence, and b) knowing when to pull the trigger. Good luck to you!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
VapidLapid|1303432244|2902298 said:
ooo~Shiney!|1303387927|2901748 said:
Hi !!!!!!!!!!
or am I wrong?

It is not so.
I used to have a terrible time with photos on his site because I was using a terribly outdated computer with a jurassic OS.
I just checked and there is a stone on his site that I bought a year ago, and it is still clickable. Thus there is no meaning regarding availability to be inferred from a picture clickability on his site.

THANKS VL !!! :sun:

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Barry told me at one point that he doesn't really enjoy cutting spinels. He prefers garnets and tourmalines.

I would check with Peter to see what kind of rough he has (seeing as Barry has none). Based solely on the inventory I've seen on your websites, I think he may be your best bet. I've asked him to custom cut a stone for me, and he was very quick and reasonably priced.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results