shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone seen something like this before?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
Hi, I baught a house a couple years ago, and when my pipes froze i had to crawl into the crawlspace to wrap heat tape around my pipes. I found a jewelry box in there, and this was one of the pieces inside. It was all tarnished, i brought it to a jeweler and had them clean it and test it to see if it was a real diamond. And this is how it looked after. And yes it is a real diamond. I didnt know it would be so pretty when cleaned. Anyway, i''m wondering if anyones seen anything like this before? Does it look like it could be pretty old? Any estimates on its worth? I will eventually get an appraisel but would help if i had an estimate of the year it came from.

222.jpg

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
oh, and its possibly about a half carat, not 100 percent sure yet. But used a size estimator.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
It''s very pretty. Here''s what it looks like to me (but I could easily be wrong): Somebody had mama''s or grandma''s or auntie''s diamond ring from the 1920s. By the 1960s or 70s the shank had worn out, or maybe they didn''t like the style any more. So they had a jeweler cut the entire top part off, including the diamond and the octagonal bezel that was holding it, and had that set in a gold disk with fancy prongs so they could use it as a pendant.

What else was in the box?

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
Just this necklace, which havent tested if its a diamond yet or not. Odds? The rest I believe to be just scrap jewelry. Nothing that looks like it could be worth anything.

othernecklace.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
No way to know from the photo, but easy enough to have it tested.

I like that pendant somebody made out of auntie''s ring. Looking at it again, I think the fancy prongs are actually part of the original ring setting.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2009 10:06:14 AM
Author: glitterata
No way to know from the photo, but easy enough to have it tested.

I like that pendant somebody made out of auntie''s ring. Looking at it again, I think the fancy prongs are actually part of the original ring setting.
I have to agree....lets tear it apart...the yellow gold disc with florentine pattern was hugely popular in the 1950s to early 1960s for charm bracelets...the white setting style is early and probably a marriage of a ring top for a charm bracelet as early as the 1940s when the marriage of white and yellow metals wasnt un-common.what type of cut does the diamond have?

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
I don''t know anything about jewelry. The shape of the diamond is a Round one. About half a carat or so. Not 100 percent sure yet. I suppose it''d make sense that its just a bunch of jewelry put together to make a one of a kind thing. That would explain why I can''t find anything like it. However, I did find somethink kind of close. I''ll have to look for the picture again. And post it. Do, anyone have any guesses of its worth?

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
I mean not really but kinda....

l013kk.jpg

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
another

l006b.jpg

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
Very interesting that someone would leave it behind. It''s very beautiful. Have you tried to contact previous owners of the house to see if it belongs to them?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jewelerman

You said the white gold head of a possible ring was older than the disc it is set on, I was wondering if the disk could maybe have been the original ring shank melted down and remade due to it being sentimental. Could this be possible?

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
Nope, not hers. Owners before the last, passed away. But it was sooo tarnished, I''m pretty sure it goes pretty far back.

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
Wow, this seems to be turning into a lot of work through the years. I would have just kept the ring how it was. Like it or not. But the pendent is very pretty non the less.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Pyramid, it's not likely that the disk is made of the shank melted down, because the shank was probably white metal like the head--that style of ring generally was all white gold or all platinum in the U.S. in that period. I know in Britain it was common to use platinum in the head or top of the ring and yellow gold in the shank, but it was less common in the U.S., especially in that style of ring.

Amy, I'm pretty sure your pendant was made out of an old ring. The cameos you posted were made that way originally, with the ladies wearing jewelry. But the first cameo you posted may have been made during the same period as the original ring. The second one is later than the first.

If you want to know how big the diamond is, why not take it to a jeweler who can measure it?

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
yea maybe. I ordered a jewelry guage estimator. So that will give me a better idea when it arrives.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
The setting yours was in would have been fancier, I bet. More like this.

tommalle

Rough_Rock
I know this doesn''t answer any of your questions but I love it!....The pendant that is. I just love it. Lucky!
36.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
What a treasure you found! That tells me not to hide jewelry around the house in case I forget to take the jewelry with me when moving house!

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
So, I went hunting. I found a few more things, which don''t look like much. But heres a picture of my entire collection. Anything look familiar to anyone? Price Range?

DSCF7683.JPG

llonergirl

Rough_Rock
Close up of the rings. Some of them are mine. I like to call them "Cheating Jewelry" Ya know, those things you''re once apon a time boyfriend gets you, only to find out later that he cheated on you. haha. Then when you break up with him, and he wants them back, you tell him to go screw himself. Which I will be selling them, for my heartache *tear* haha or just to make him suffer. Anyway....I will go into a description....with pics

DSCF7684.JPG

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
The first pendant is lovely--looks under 30 points--very cool to find an old jewelry box! I'm curious to know the diameters of both diamonds in both pendants.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results