shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone seen a CZ from Old Mine Rocks?

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ordered a CZ from Shan Adams/Old Mine Rocks on Etsy? I’m looking for a center for an emerald target ring and was the planning on moissanite, but after popping a Chris CZ OEC in the setting for reference, I was surprised to see that I think it may look a bit more diamond-like than my Tianyu OEC. I didn’t think that I was interested in CZ for a nice setting, but TBH, I had an Asha for several years and was quite happy with it. So I just thought I might check out Old Mine Ricks, since the cut looks so nice. I don’t like the perception of CZ as cheap, but really I just want the best looking stone possible. The cost of Chinese moissanite and Shan Adams’s stones are actually somewhat comparable.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't but I thought about buying an Asscher from her. I am thinking about going the CZ route for this particular cut as I don't want to spend the money for the moissy version.

BTW, would you mind sharing your OEC? ;)2 I am driving myself crazy over an AV one, but if the cut is nice on the CZ, I wouldn't mind going for the cheaper route, obviously!

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Sure, here are two videos of the stone in the setting in question.
The petals aren’t as pronounced as they are in moissanite, but overall the facets seem kind of more “distributed” if that makes any sense. This is just a stock Chris CZ OEC in the “warmer” color (H-J, I believe). So this stone cost about $10 USD. I believe that Shan Adams has hers custom cut. The videos on her Instagram look really fantastic.
I haven't but I thought about buying an Asscher from her. I am thinking about going the CZ route for this particular cut as I don't want to spend the money for the moissy version.

BTW, would you mind sharing your OEC? ;)2 I am driving myself crazy over an AV one, but if the cut is nice on the CZ, I wouldn't mind going for the cheaper route, obviously!

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Sure, here are two videos of the stone in the setting in question.
The petals aren’t as pronounced as they are in moissanite, but overall the facets seem kind of more “distributed” if that makes any sense. This is just a stock Chris CZ OEC in the “warmer” color (H-J, I believe). So this stone cost about $10 USD. I believe that Shan Adams has hers custom cut. The videos on her Instagram look really fantastic.
OMG, thank you for sharing this!!! :love:

I'm convinced to buy this now. This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for with the OEC (small table, high crown). A lot of the Chinese Moissys have tables bigger than I'd like and lean on the transitional side. AV and MoCo are nice, but I don't feel like spending the money on those. This one is perfect. I may just add the Asscher, too. :D

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Sure! I hope I didn’t get you too excited, though, because actually the crown is lower and the table is larger when compared with my Tianyu OEC. :/ I still think it is worth trying out for the price, but I don’t want you to be disappointed with that aspect of the cut.
OMG, thank you for sharing this!!! :love:

I'm convinced to buy this now. This is EXACTLY what I'm looking for with the OEC (small table, high crown). A lot of the Chinese Moissys have tables bigger than I'd like and lean on the transitional side. AV and MoCo are nice, but I don't feel like spending the money on those. This one is perfect. I may just add the Asscher, too. :D

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t purchased from them but for a bezel setting I would use a more durable stone. I think taking a CZ out of the setting, should it scratch in the future, would be a big job. I would personally use a moissy for such a setting. So pretty!

ETA Have you checked JuliaB on Etsy? I believe her oecs are reasonable and quite pretty.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
Sure! I hope I didn’t get you too excited, though, because actually the crown is lower and the table is larger when compared with my Tianyu OEC. :/ I still think it is worth trying out for the price, but I don’t want you to be disappointed with that aspect of the cut.
Oh bummer! I thought the table was small for sure when I saw the video up close. I guess the emerald target setting makes it look smaller...? It's gorgeous, btw. :love:

I still might check it out. I want my fat OEC petals! LOL. :lol:

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
That’s a good point. I was mostly thinking that since CZ is harder than emeralds, it might be okay, since I would want to avoid scratching the emeralds. But a scratch on the CZ would be a lot more noticeable and a bigger problem. It is probably true that the CZ would have to be destroyed if I ever wanted to replace the stone. I will check out Julia B! I have been to her Etsy shop before but never really looked in earnest.
I haven’t purchased from them but for a bezel setting I would use a more durable stone. I think taking a CZ out of the setting, should it scratch in the future, would be a big job. I would personally use a moissy for such a setting. So pretty!

ETA Have you checked JuliaB on Etsy? I believe her oecs are reasonable and quite pretty.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I know, it is strange! I will say, though, after looking at Shan Adams’s videos, I do think her stones have the small table. May only be the Chris CZ that the table is larger.

It’s hard to go wrong with the Chris CZ price, even if just to know if it could work for you. But you could also message Shan. I’m pretty sure she does returns on stones.
Oh bummer! I thought the table was small for sure when I saw the video up close. I guess the emerald target setting makes it look smaller...? It's gorgeous, btw. :love:

I still might check it out. I want my fat OEC petals! LOL. :lol:

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
I know, it is strange! I will say, though, after looking at Shan Adams’s videos, I do think her stones have the small table. May only be the Chris CZ that the table is larger.

It’s hard to go wrong with the Chris CZ price, even if just to know if it could work for you. But you could also message Shan. I’m pretty sure she does returns on stones.
I'll have to look at her YT videos. The tables on her OECs look pretty large:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/504418...ry=old+european&ref=shop_items_search_7&frs=1

Her OECs are also pretty large and I'm a small stone gal. I remember asking if she'd ever carry an emerald cut smaller than what she had in stock, but she said no. She's really nice, though. Ironically the Asschers she carries come in a variety of sizes.

I might try to email diamondcz and ask which of their OECs have the smallest table. They have 4 different ones and the pictures on the website don't really help.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
Just a heads up, I can’t remember where I read this, but someone said she actually uses Chris CZs for her settings. Don’t hold me to that, because it’s the internet, but worth looking into! Could just be better photography.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I’m pretty sure that is true! There are pictures of some of her work on the Chris CZ website as examples. I do think the stones are custom cut, though. At least I would really hope so, because buying the stones and just reselling them with better pics at a huge markup would be shady. I also do tend to think her stones look better than the stock Chris CZ hat I have. But yes, this is a good point.
Just a heads up, I can’t remember where I read this, but someone said she actually uses Chris CZs for her settings. Don’t hold me to that, because it’s the internet, but worth looking into! Could just be better photography.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
So it’s a weird coincidence and probably a little confusing, but I don’t think The Shantastic shop is Shan Adams. Hers are Shan Adams Jewelry and Old Mine Rocks.

You are absolutely right about the large stone sizes, though. She only has a few that are under 2 ct, and that is disappointing to me also! It’s a great idea to email diamondcz and ask. It is really impossible to tell anything from those photos.
I'll have to look at her YT videos. The tables on her OECs look pretty large:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/504418123/old-european-cut-oec-round-cubic?ga_search_query=old+european&ref=shop_items_search_7&frs=1

Her OECs are also pretty large and I'm a small stone gal. I remember asking if she'd ever carry an emerald cut smaller than what she had in stock, but she said no. She's really nice, though. Ironically the Asschers she carries come in a variety of sizes.

I might try to email diamondcz and ask which of their OECs have the smallest table. They have 4 different ones and the pictures on the website don't really help.

sd_flp

Brilliant_Rock
So it’s a weird coincidence and probably a little confusing, but I don’t think The Shantastic shop is Shan Adams. Hers are Shan Adams Jewelry and Old Mine Rocks.

You are absolutely right about the large stone sizes, though. She only has a few that are under 2 ct, and that is disappointing to me also! It’s a great idea to email diamondcz and ask. It is really impossible to tell anything from those photos.
Oh, duh, now I feel really stupid. :lol: I'm actually following Shan Adams on Instagram, I should know that her and Shantastic are completely different! But like you said, both like to use big stones.

I know PriceScope ladies LOVE huge stones, but some of us are small stone fans... :whistle::lol-2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually bought a ring from Shantastic, it's one of the slightly pink Chris CZ's, it's really pretty.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
I actually have some of Chris CZ, I've purchased from Shantastic, and I got 3 CZs I got from Old Mine Rocks, lol. Shantastic sells Chris CZs in her settings and she's not the same person as Shan from Old Mine Rocks. I don't really like the way the OEC from Chris is, the cut I mean. Old Mine Rocks OEC doesn't look like his. I think her facets are crisipier. I got OEC, transition cut, and the more square OMC from her. I got them months ago, but haven't done anything with them yet. But they're very pretty.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Awesome, thank you! How would you compare the Old Mine Rocks to moissanite?
I actually have some of Chris CZ, I've purchased from Shantastic, and I got 3 CZs I got from Old Mine Rocks, lol. Shantastic sells Chris CZs in her settings and she's not the same person as Shan from Old Mine Rocks. I don't really like the way the OEC from Chris is, the cut I mean. Old Mine Rocks OEC doesn't look like his. I think her facets are crisipier. I got OEC, transition cut, and the more square OMC from her. I got them months ago, but haven't done anything with them yet. But they're very pretty.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I have earrings from Shan Adams that are CZ in OEC cut. I have one rose cut moissy as well from CvB. I think that the Shan Adams/Old Mine Rocks that she runs are actually more believable than moissy personally.

I can try to take photos this weekend.

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Interesting! I had an Asha in my original engagement ring, and I found it to be pretty close to indistinguishable from a diamond (with the naked eye). Unfortunately, after 6 years of daily wear, the coating on the CZ scratched on the table and along the facets. I still haven’t changed it out because I haven’t found a moissanite that looks as good, but I also can’t bring myself to spend $200+ on another Asha. Not sure if an uncoated CZ would have this same issue, but I doubt it (or at least hope not!) I personally think a well cut CZ can look extremely believable. I just wish they were a little more durable for a ring! But yeah, if you get a chance/remember, I’d be very interested to see your earrings!
I have earrings from Shan Adams that are CZ in OEC cut. I have one rose cut moissy as well from CvB. I think that the Shan Adams/Old Mine Rocks that she runs are actually more believable than moissy personally.

I can try to take photos this weekend.

Lucky_Rabbit

Shiny_Rock
Awesome, thank you! How would you compare the Old Mine Rocks to moissanite?
If you're going to get them, I suggest getting tinted one that is near colorless CZ. They look too white for me and plastic. If I could go back, I honestly wouldn't spend over $100 for CZs , lol. But that's my personal taste. They're pretty, but that's too much. She has a different ETSY store that sells her cut in jewelery and she's selling them wwaayy too much. Shan Adams Jewelry. All the rings start off at $600. I'm sorry, way too much for a CZ jewelry. I can get something less than that from a Chinese place or other ETSY stores. And I bet she got them CZ cut from one of the Chinese manufacturers. I find her prices outrageous. But to each their own

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
Thank you, that’s really helpful feedback! I also find the prices of her jewelry a bit surprising. I’m sure the workmanship of the settings is excellent, but I think more people would feel as you do that several hundred dollars for CZ jewelry is too steep. I think I am going to stick with moissanite myself.
If you're going to get them, I suggest getting tinted one that is near colorless CZ. They look too white for me and plastic. If I could go back, I honestly wouldn't spend over $100 for CZs , lol. But that's my personal taste. They're pretty, but that's too much. She has a different ETSY store that sells her cut in jewelery and she's selling them wwaayy too much. Shan Adams Jewelry. All the rings start off at $600. I'm sorry, way too much for a CZ jewelry. I can get something less than that from a Chinese place or other ETSY stores. And I bet she got them CZ cut from one of the Chinese manufacturers. I find her prices outrageous. But to each their own

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'm going to try to snap a photo to compare today of the cz v moissanite.

I have a pair of her earrings. I think they were $400 when I bought them. Her workmanship is great and it's all handmade, but I would not pay some of the current prices. I think it's high.

Shellcm

Shiny_Rock

I am so confused by all the Shan's and I don't know who Chris is. What company are you recommending?

bbk0885

Shiny_Rock
I am so confused by all the Shan's and I don't know who Chris is. What company are you recommending?
Shan Adams is the Vendor from Old Mine Rocks. Chris is Chris Sweeney of the site http://www.diamondcz.co.uk/. Personally, I decided to go with moissanite rather than getting a CZ.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone ordered a CZ from Shan Adams/Old Mine Rocks on Etsy? I’m looking for a center for an emerald target ring and was the planning on moissanite, but after popping a Chris CZ OEC in the setting for reference, I was surprised to see that I think it may look a bit more diamond-like than my Tianyu OEC. I didn’t think that I was interested in CZ for a nice setting, but TBH, I had an Asha for several years and was quite happy with it. So I just thought I might check out Old Mine Ricks, since the cut looks so nice. I don’t like the perception of CZ as cheap, but really I just want the best looking stone possible. The cost of Chinese moissanite and Shan Adams’s stones are actually somewhat comparable.

@bbk0885 I'm late to this thread but did you ever follow through with your purchase? I purchased 2 stones from her on a whim and they are beautiful. One is a huge elongated cushion rose cut I had set N/S/E/W as a travel ring. The other 9mm OEC I didn't know what to do with it so it's just sitting in my jewelry box and on ebay.

Emerald City

Shiny_Rock
I am also confused by this thread. From what I can gather, Shan Adams IS the same person behind Old Mine Rocks & Shan Adams Jewelry. Someone upthread said they were different people but then someone else said the vendor at Old Mine Rocks is named Shan Adams, the same name as the vendor at Shan Adams Jewelry. What a coincidence it is that there are 2 Shans selling hard-to-find CZ stones. (And at a ridiculous markup, in my opinion, at least for the finished jewelry.)

Both stores are in Dallas, TX, too. Hmm.

Shan Adams Jewelry has photos of her work posted on Chris CZ's site. She has definitely sold stones from him before. Selling stones from Chris that originally cost $10USD for nearly $1,000 in sterling silver settings is... interesting.

Last edited:

teddycake

Rough_Rock
I am also confused by this thread. From what I can gather, Shan Adams IS the same person behind Old Mine Rocks & Shan Adams Jewelry. Someone upthread said they were different people but then someone else said the vendor at Old Mine Rocks is named Shan Adams, the same name as the vendor at Shan Adams Jewelry. What a coincidence it is that there are 2 Shans selling hard-to-find CZ stones. (And at a ridiculous markup, in my opinion, at least for the finished jewelry.)

Both stores are in Dallas, TX, too. Hmm.

Shan Adams Jewelry has photos of her work posted on Chris CZ's site. She has definitely sold stones from him before. Selling stones from Chris that originally cost $10USD for nearly $1,000 in sterling silver settings is... interesting.

So here's the breakdown:

1) Shantastic on Etsy. The vendor's name is Shannon (not Shan). I believe she uses Chris CZs.

2) Shan Adams Jewelry on Etsy. The vendor's name is Shan Adams. She sells hand faceted CZs, no idea whether they're from Chris CZ or not. This Etsy shop sells jewelry, not loose stones.

3) Old Mine Rocks on Etsy. This is also Shan Adams, but just selling loose stones instead of jewelry.

teddycake

Rough_Rock
I'm going to try to snap a photo to compare today of the cz v moissanite.

I have a pair of her earrings. I think they were $400 when I bought them. Her workmanship is great and it's all handmade, but I would not pay some of the current prices. I think it's high.

I'm late to this thread but I've been tempted to buy her jewelry. The earrings are still at around $400, but the rings have gone up to about $800-900 now in early 2021. I never pulled the trigger though, because while her stones look super lovely, the price of her rings is just too expensive for me. My taste changes a lot and I just don't think I can resell her ring for even half the price I'd pay. For $800-900, I'd lean towards getting a moissy from one of the Chinese vendors. Yes, her rings are handmade, but the style just isn't really for me, they look very "artisan", but that's just my taste.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'm late to this thread but I've been tempted to buy her jewelry. The earrings are still at around $400, but the rings have gone up to about $800-900 now in early 2021. I never pulled the trigger though, because while her stones look super lovely, the price of her rings is just too expensive for me. My taste changes a lot and I just don't think I can resell her ring for even half the price I'd pay. For $800-900, I'd lean towards getting a moissy from one of the Chinese vendors. Yes, her rings are handmade, but the style just isn't really for me, they look very "artisan", but that's just my taste.

If you do larger size stones her stuff is now inching closer to $500 to $700.

Her type of style is a Georgian reproduction collet. I personally love that style, and she does it very well. I think that the workmanship that she did is quite nice. It traditionally uses silver in that technique so I didn't have an issue with it.

I don't think I would be on board with the pricing of her rings though!

I have a pair of moissanite studs and they are nice, but I don't really love them.

mjea

Shiny_Rock
I'm actually finally sending in the 9mm OEC I've had from Old Mine Rocks for the last few years to be set into a Georgian cut down style pendant. I think her pendants as standalones or charms depending on size, are reasonable but I agree, her other jewelry pieces are more than I am willing to spend on the look. The stones themselves are very beautiful though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results