shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone read "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and see the previews?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Sabine

Ideal_Rock
I''m confused. It''s been a while since I''ve read the book, so I could just be remembering it wrong, but I''ve read some of the other books in the series recently, so I don''t know.

But I really thought, since the first book was set in London, all the shops that Rebecca went to and all the brands she obsessed about were brands that we don''t really have here. I''m pretty sure I remember not recognizing a LOT of them. But on the previews for the movie, they are talking about Prada and all the other really famous designers. Do you think they changed this for the movie to appeal to American audiences, or am I just remembering incorrectly?

I didn''t really like the first book. I found myself getting really annoyed with her for doing things she knew she shouldn''t. But I love the actress who is going to play Rebecca in the movie!

missjaxon

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering about that too. I also was looking forward to the British humour that goes along with the book, but from the previews she sounds American. Hmm I am going to it on Saturday so I am anxious to see how different it is from the books. I really enjoyed the whole series, and hope they didn''t change the characters too much because they are what makes the Shopaholic so fantastic!

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
I have read all of the books because I love fluff! Yes, I also heard that she''s American and they''ve taken out the entire British storyline, which was definitely the most amusing part of the series. I expect the movie/book relationship to be much like the Nanny Diaries in that it''s ''inspired'' by the book and not ''based'' on the book...Needless to say, I''ll still watch the movie!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I want to see it! I''ve read all the Shopaholic books - they''re great beach reads, even though like you said Sabine, sometimes I would get annoyed at her. The movie looks really cute though - I wonder if they just combined some elements of two books? (I was thinking the first one, and Shopaholic in Manhattan...prob not the exact title, I forget).

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they do mention Prada, etc in the book as they''re mainstream designers (Prada isn''t American or British anyway). I agree though, they should have kept it true to form and based it in England.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Just grabbed my book, to look at some of the collections letters that she received. The main store she had "issues" with was Octagon.

I'm actually disappointed now and none too pleased that they have relocated from London. I really hope they didn't mainstream everything. Being a financial person and reading the book while getting my degree, it was neat to read a story about starting from the bottom. Not believable by any means, but there aren't many stories about women making it in the financial field. I'll take whatever I can find.

ETA: few more stores...
Jigsaw
Esso
Oddbins
Bella Pasta
WHSmith
Specsavers
Our Price
Quaglinos
Rugs to Riches
La Senza
Agent Provocateuer
Next
Millets
Thorntons Chocolates
and of course... Denny and George

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVED the books, they are like candy. But the Movie... I''m not going to go watch it the previews really make it seem even less substantial than the books were... and the books were right at my threshold.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
The books were so much fun - I was so disappointed to read that they made Becky's character American instead of British
7.gif

I'm hoping its still good, but I'm not holding my breath - I agree that the best part of the story line was a lot of the British elements.

ETA: I LOVE Jigsaw - one of my all-time favorite stores
30.gif
30.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are having Luke be British though? I just got done rereading the first three--Confessions of a Shopaholic, Shopaholic takes Manhattan and Shopaholic Ties the Knot. I think the last two were kind of sucky.

I love Isla, but I'm also not happy that she was taken out of England...

AND Luke doesn't know anything about fashion in the books!!! If that is who that is anyway...

ETA: The last two I'm talking about were Shopaholic with Sister and the baby one...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results