shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone putting off setting stones or going to argentium silver due to gold prices?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Anyone putting off setting stones or going to argentium silver due to gold prices?

I am. How about you?

Your ideas. Thanks.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yes and no, I have just done half and half yellow gold head with a silver shank or silver body to shave down the price. But I think I''m done after I get a few more finish pieces and will watch what happens over the next year or so. Jewelry isn''t a need so it''ll be on the back burner until I start to lust after something else and feel that I *need* it again...lol.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
I just had Sally make me a ring in silver with rhodium plating because it was way cheaper and would look exactly like white gold. In fact, it will wear much better than white gold since it won''t start to yellow. I kind of don''t see the point of taking an expensive yellow metal and turning it white. Just my personal opinion. If I want gold, I''ll wear it yellow. I know there is that added "mental" value that white gold has though.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 1:57:08 AM
Author: freefly
I just had Sally make me a ring in silver with rhodium plating because it was way cheaper and would look exactly like white gold. In fact, it will wear much better than white gold since it won''t start to yellow. I kind of don''t see the point of taking an expensive yellow metal and turning it white. Just my personal opinion. If I want gold, I''ll wear it yellow. I know there is that added ''mental'' value that white gold has though.
Um, the metals also have different properties, it''s not just about worth. Most jewelers won''t prong set things in silver because it bends too easily, and if one prong on a 4 prong setting bends...odds are the stone isn''t going to be what I''d call safe.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 2:13:26 AM
Author: FrekeChild

I just had Sally make me a ring in silver with rhodium plating because it was way cheaper and would look exactly like white gold. In fact, it will wear much better than white gold since it won''t start to yellow. I kind of don''t see the point of taking an expensive yellow metal and turning it white. Just my personal opinion. If I want gold, I''ll wear it yellow. I know there is that added ''mental'' value that white gold has though.

Um, the metals also have different properties, it''s not just about worth. Most jewelers won''t prong set things in silver because it bends too easily, and if one prong on a 4 prong setting bends...odds are the stone isn''t going to be what I''d call safe.

With all due respect, I''ve never had a problem with silver and having stones set in it. I would imagine the durability issues would be similar with any other metal and has to do with how it''s been hardened, whether it''s been cast, die struck, handcrafted, etc. I''ve seen lots of top designer jewelry as well as not so expensive jewelry set with prongs in silver. I believe there was a poster here recently who had Julia Kay Taylor set a huge diamond in silver. The piece I just had Sally make was a sapphire ring in silver set with prongs. As with any jewelry made from any metal, I believe it''s important to be careful with them and have prongs and settings checked periodically for security. Again, what I stated earlier was just my personal preference and also opinion with white gold. I "personally" don''t prefer it. For white metals, I prefer platinum or silver.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Freefly, Freke wrote prong set, not bezel set. Huge structural difference.

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 8:10:13 AM
Author: swimmer

Yes, I know Frekechild said prong set, and although my reference to the diamond ring by JKT was a bezel, my other references were for prongs. I''m not debating structural difference in the metals, just that I''ve never had a problem with silver in general, prongs or otherwise, and I''ve seen many examples of fine and not so fine silver jewelry set with gemstones. I believe in the olden times, and correct me if I''m wrong, before people started using white gold, lots of royal jewels were set in silver.

I don''t mean to offend anyone who likes white gold, as I''ve stated, it''s not my personal preference of white metals.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 8:50:10 AM

Yes, I know Frekechild said prong set, and although my reference to the diamond ring by JKT was a bezel, my other references were for prongs. I''m not debating structural difference in the metals, just that I''ve never had a problem with silver in general, prongs or otherwise, and I''ve seen many examples of fine and not so fine silver jewelry set with gemstones. I believe in the olden times, and correct me if I''m wrong, before people started using white gold, lots of royal jewels were set in silver.

I don''t mean to offend anyone who likes white gold, as I''ve stated, it''s not my personal preference of white metals.

You''re generalizing - just because you''ve not had any structural problems thus far with your silver prong-set jewelry doesn''t mean that you won''t in the future, or that other people have not. And of course, silver isn''t a horrible metal - else why wold we set stones in them? It''s just that, specific examples like yours aside, white gold is structurally stronger than silver and safer.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/16/2009 2:13:26 AM
Author: FrekeChild

I just had Sally make me a ring in silver with rhodium plating because it was way cheaper and would look exactly like white gold. In fact, it will wear much better than white gold since it won't start to yellow. I kind of don't see the point of taking an expensive yellow metal and turning it white. Just my personal opinion. If I want gold, I'll wear it yellow. I know there is that added 'mental' value that white gold has though.

Um, the metals also have different properties, it's not just about worth. Most jewelers won't prong set things in silver because it bends too easily, and if one prong on a 4 prong setting bends...odds are the stone isn't going to be what I'd call safe.

My silver aqua ring set by sally is having a lot of issues. If I had to do it over again, I would have done white gold. I do not recommend silver for delicate settings.

ETA: I have quite a few stones that are not being set right now. I just had a big move which cost me more than I thought. I also might have a big event to plan next year
2.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2009 8:20:32 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

My silver aqua ring set by sally is having a lot of issues. If I had to do it over again, I would have done white gold. I do not recommend silver for delicate settings.

ETA: I have quite a few stones that are not being set right now. I just had a big move which cost me more than I thought. I also might have a big event to plan next year
2.gif
oh no! is your stone moving around? I have my lotus setting in silver but hoping it won't be a problem
40.gif

freefly

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/17/2009 7:58:51 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl
Date: 11/16/2009 8:50:10 AM

You''re generalizing - just because you''ve not had any structural problems thus far with your silver prong-set jewelry doesn''t mean that you won''t in the future, or that other people have not. And of course, silver isn''t a horrible metal - else why wold we set stones in them? It''s just that, specific examples like yours aside, white gold is structurally stronger than silver and safer.

I understand everyone here is friends with Frekechild, but I honestly don''t understand the hostility. I''ve only stated MY PREFERENCE of white metals, and I don''t believe I''ve been disrespectful to anyone, including Frekechild. I have much respect for her, she is a very valued member of this community. It seems as if everyone here is arguing the durability of silver vs white gold which I have never debated. I only expressed a preference over silver or platinum as a white metal over white gold. If I have a very valuable piece such as an engagement ring, I will set it in yellow gold or platinum. Again, my personal preference.

I''m very sorry to LtlFirecracker and to anyone else that has had issues with a silver setting. That''s not to say that no one has ever had a problem with white gold or platinum. I believe your statement is a generalization as well. Again, I''ve never claimed one metal as stronger or more durable than the other, in fact, I couldn''t find a reputable resource to back up either statement. From what I know, I believe silver is more malleable than white gold and that white gold is more brittle. I could be wrong. However, this was not the issue I was trying to discuss. When I originally posted, I was only posting my personal preference.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I just got a quote today from my local jeweler to bezel set a pair of sapphires in palladium for earring drops. It was half the price that Whiteflash quoted me for the same thing in 18k white gold. Apparently, palladium is a white enough metal, lighter than platinum, and cheaper than gold. It was a no brainer for me.
1.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freefly, I don''t know why you''re making this personal. Just because people are backing up what I said does not mean that they are taking what I''m saying over what you''re saying due to my name and reputation alone. You are seeing hostility aimed towards you that isn''t there, IMHO.

In fact, it will wear much better than white gold since it won''t start to yellow. I kind of don''t see the point of taking an expensive yellow metal and turning it white.

Your opinion of course. But not exactly something I would find to be in the helpful spirit PS promotes. Some may find what you said to be insulting to their choices and their jewelry. Luckily I am not that thin skinned.

And I actually prefer my jewelry in unplated 14 and 18kt gold. I happen to LIKE the appearance of it.

As far as my opinion and my experience, I would NOT use silver to prong set any stone into a ring. I happen to have recently commissioned a necklace in silver. PRONG SET. I would never have done that with a ring, and am quite cautious with the necklace. The stones in the necklace are also quite large, so the prongs can also be large, therefore safer, and not look completely awkward and out of proportion. My jeweler, who loves to work with silver, will not prong set a stone in ring made of silver. Why? Because it''s soft. It''s soft, bends easily and he isn''t a risk-taker when it comes to other people''s stones.

My point in my other response was that it is NOT only value/price that goes into choosing a metal for a piece of jewelry, but also principles of the jewelry to be made. Do you see pave in silver? No. Why not? Because it''s a good way to lose stones! Why do I have a piece of 14kt jewelry with platinum prongs? Because WG is brittle and not a good idea to continuously reset stones in and keep bending white gold. Why don''t they make intricately carved settings such as VanCraeynest in silver? Because it wouldn''t hold up over time. There are pluses and minuses to EVERY metal. Platinum, silver, palladium, gold of all varieties and colors.

am concerned that other posters may feel disrespected by offering their personal opinion only to have them be dismissed because they are being cast off as giving them due to the fact that they wish to align them with my opinions. How insulting to the other posters who had their own opinion independent of mine, to be told that their opinions don''t matter just because they happened to agree with me. I don''t think that was your intent (I certainly hope it wasn''t), but I can see why it would be perceived as such.

I hope that others carry on with their own opinion and that it be respected in the same manner that you would want your opinion to be respected in. Treat your neighbors as you want to be treated and all that. As far as I know, everyone''s opinion in this thread is their own.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I didn''t expect to see the comments in this thread. It is a topic which interests me because I have no little experience and have had my new diamonds set in WG.

I''m sure you didn''t intend to have comments that inferred that any of the posters were providing a personal opinion simply because it was shared by Freke. That could be perceived as dismissive and I can see why some people would view those posts as hostile.

I sense that you genuinely believe that your experience with silver has been wisely considered by you and that you believe it to be satisfactory. There will be people who have a different opinion. Expressing such a different opinion should not be viewed as hostile. It should be viewed for it is...an individual opinion and preference.

Some of us do value Freke and her contributions, but we don''t go out making decisions on settings just because she prefers a certain metal. Now shoes...that''s a different story.
2.gif

Personally, I prefer WG because I have had many vendors state sufficient risks with each metal and I hope that made the right decision for me and my stones.

We are a no hostile zone.
10.gif

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/18/2009 12:00:34 AM
Author: miraclesrule
Wow, I didn''t expect to see the comments in this thread. It is a topic which interests me because I have no little experience and have had my new diamonds set in WG.

I''m sure you didn''t intend to have comments that inferred that any of the posters were providing a personal opinion simply because it was shared by Freke. That could be perceived as dismissive and I can see why some people would view those posts as hostile.

I sense that you genuinely believe that your experience with silver has been wisely considered by you and that you believe it to be satisfactory. There will be people who have a different opinion. Expressing such a different opinion should not be viewed as hostile. It should be viewed for it is...an individual opinion and preference.

Some of us do value Freke and her contributions, but we don''t go out making decisions on settings just because she prefers a certain metal. Now shoes...that''s a different story.
2.gif

Personally, I prefer WG because I have had many vendors state sufficient risks with each metal and I hope that made the right decision for me and my stones.

We are a no hostile zone.
10.gif
My thoughts exactly! This is a discussion forum not a popularity contest. Let''s share and agree to disagree.
9.gif

Lori

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
If I want gold, I''ll wear it yellow. I know there is that added ''mental'' value that white gold has though.
Interesting, I never thought of it that way. I own very little white gold because I prefer platinum as my white metal of choice, and the majority of my fine jewelry is yellow gold. I can see what you''re trying to say, and no, I don''t think you were trying to offend anyone.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Going back to the original question: No, I haven''t put off any projects or switched to silver, but I have been adjusting my projects to use less gold weight. I just sent the garnet in my avatar to Sally so she could make it into a pendant for my wedding. Originally I''d hoped to have it domed outward to show the beautiful carvings that Heart of Water excels at, but it would have increased the cost of the project from $500 to $850, so I opted for a slightly simpler setting similar to the Mom Pendants she did for me before. I''m still using 18K gold, but... less of it.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/17/2009 8:33:10 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 11/17/2009 8:20:32 PM

Author: LtlFirecracker

2.gif
oh no! is your stone moving around? I have my lotus setting in silver but hoping it won''t be a problem
40.gif

No, the bezel is fine. The ring was accented by "ropes" on each side of the aqua. One has snapped in half and 2 more have bent. This is from simple stuff like washing my hands after using the restroom and shaking someone''s hand when I meet them. I never wore this ring to work. It is worn so infrequently, and if I can straighten out the "ropes" without braking it, the ring will still look good.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results