shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone pay health insurance out-of-pocket?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have a family of four so I'm looking for answers for those with two adults and two children for an accurate comparison...

How much do you pay per month? My husband's co is increasing our insurance to $1000 a month so we won't be able to stay on that policy and I'm going to have to call around and pay for it on our own. Just want to get an idea of what others are paying.

Thanks.

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
I believe the answers would be highly state-dependent, MC. Many minimal requirements are state-mandated, so the rates a family of four would get in CA is different than in NY, which would be different than in WA.

In a nutshell, though? Individual policies are expensive. Their terms are also far worse than the group plans offered through most employers on a per-dollar basis, so make sure you're comparing apples to apples before you switch over. (That said, hopefully someone can weigh in with a rare gem to suggest!)

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
really depends, now that ObamCare is underway, insurance prices have skyrocket, not only on individual but on companies as well, as I help with benefits for my company. Before my DH had his corporate job, we decided to buy self insurance on our own for about two years as my company was still high to include my spouse and dependents, even though my co. was employee paid. We decided to go with the higher deductible (very low premiums - more of a catastrophic insurance plan), in return, which included the well checks for the kids (very important to me for the kids under four) covered 100% and no copays... Drawbacks is if there was an emergency and we'd be out more $$ obviously (we never had an emergency) we didn't have any copays, but we were obligated to pay a % with our self insurance, still came out a head because by the time you paid your premiums plus copays over the year, we would have lost more in premiums with my company vs self insurance. Currently, I chose a lower premium (higher risk in dedcutibles) with my husbands company in return we have an amount alotted to us for the year, its about $1000 with a partial roll over, after we "eat up the alottment or HRA" then we are responsible for our portion of the bill. We haven't seen an invoice for over three years yet, since we are fairly healthy. The last few years, we have come out ahead and have never had to pay one single co pays or prescription meds. I changed plans during one of the year, in preparation for my second DD. I usually assess yearly for our plans. break down in spreadsheet format and then do a "what IF analysis"

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
We paid for our own insurance the year after I quit my HS job. My coverage was through BCBS Illinois and I think it cost around $400 per month, DH's coverage was through Humana and it cost around $250 per month, I believe. My coverage had maternity benefits, just in case, and DH's had a rider on it against any claims that had to do with his spine because he has congenital cervical stenosis. Both of our plans were not great, and I'm very happy to be back on group coverage.

We found our plans through our insurance guy. I highly recommend you use someone to help you find the right plan for you. There are a lot of options out there and we needed his help finding the best coverage for our needs.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the same area as you but I haven't bothered to look for a couple of years. When I had looked to get some kind of coverage (for just me), I was seeing stuff ranging from around $400/month and up (WAY up...) so just not something I can manage.

I think since you have kids, you may be able to qualify for some Washington specific plans (can't remember what they were called :nono: ) and I think those cost a lot less.

Haven's suggestion to find an insurance person and work with them is very good. There are so many different options out there and they'd be able to help you find plans that would balance the coverage/deductibles/premiums so that you are comfortable.
(You should make sure to check with a few different insurance people though to make sure you're getting the best plan possible for the best rates available)

Good luck! -- and if you're comfortable doing so, I would be interested to see what kind of rates you find.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got to be honest -- i've been paying for my own health insurance for more than 10 years. I'm self employed and I pay around 200/month for myself, and I'm fairly young and healthy with no pre existing conditions. I'm currently on BCBS - I've been on this policy for a few years. My previous policy (for just me) got up to more than $400/month at the end. I do have friends in my industry with families who also pay their own insurance - I honestly think for a family of four, it's going to cost more than $1,000 a month for good coverage. You could get a really high deductable for a lower monthly rate, but I still think 1,000/month or more is what a good policy will cost if you pay out of pocket - insurance stinks.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Where you are makes all the difference. But I too doubt you can do better than $1000/month for 4. DH retired about 10 yrs ago & I stopped working maybe 8 yrs ago. There are more individual plans on the market now than there were then, with more variety, but they're pretty heavy. DH will be eligible for Medicare next year -- me not for a little while. I will tell you that for the 2 of us -- with a yearly "increasing age" increase the co. lays on us, we now pay $16,000 per year for just the 2 of us -- with an annual deductable of $5000. We're both healthy and have never made a claim but premiums have still gone up 18% every year. We could buy a house for less!

Medicare isn't a lot better, thanks to Obama & Congress. Yesterday Ben Stein said his Medicare & Medigap premiums for himself come to $1000/month. Change we can love, eh?

--- Laurie

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
TooPatient|1303493808|2902726 said:
I
Good luck! -- and if you're comfortable doing so, I would be interested to see what kind of rates you find.

Thanks everyone! I guess if we can get $400 a month, we're lucky? Eh, I'm thinking catastrophic for DH, and regular for the kids and me. I'm on a generic med that is $491 a month w/out insurance. What kind of world is this? When does a generic become so expensive? I'm actually considering going off of it if we can't find insurance...been on it for 7 or 8 years (something like that). When my posts either start making sense or become ultra nutso, you'll know why!

I don't think we qualify for any of the state-funded programs. I'll call around and let you know the prices.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My wife and I pay $1644 per month for very good coverage with BCBS...Sounds like plenty to me. If we had a higher prescription plan deductible we might save $30 and pay it out for medicine. There is no getting ahead. The sad truth is that the more you have saved and planned for old age, the more likely you are to get sick and use up the nest egg for medical expenses as your age increases. Buying good insurance for health coverage protects your other assets, if you have any, from medical expenses that are incredibly costly if anyone in the family gets really ill. If you have virtually no assets, then you don't have much to lose and your basic medical care will be virtually paid for.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1303498057|2902766 said:
Where you are makes all the difference. But I too doubt you can do better than $1000/month for 4. DH retired about 10 yrs ago & I stopped working maybe 8 yrs ago. There are more individual plans on the market now than there were then, with more variety, but they're pretty heavy. DH will be eligible for Medicare next year -- me not for a little while. I will tell you that for the 2 of us -- with a yearly "increasing age" increase the co. lays on us, we now pay $16,000 per year for just the 2 of us -- with an annual deductable of $5000. We're both healthy and have never made a claim but premiums have still gone up 18% every year. We could buy a house for less!

Medicare isn't a lot better, thanks to Obama & Congress. Yesterday Ben Stein said his Medicare & Medigap premiums for himself come to $1000/month. Change we can love, eh?

--- Laurie

Violet and Laurie - looks like we posted at the same time. I am just floored that we would be paying $1000. Right now, it's $260 a month through dh's employer and they're raising it to $300 for the time being till the big hike .... OH and I forgot to mention that amount includes dental and life insurance!

Looks like we won't have insurance then. $1000 is more than we can afford. God, I'd get better health insurance in prison. :knockout:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oldminer|1303498554|2902773 said:
My wife and I pay $1644 per month for very good coverage with BCBS...Sounds like plenty to me. If we had a higher prescription plan deductible we might save $30 and pay it out for medicine. There is no getting ahead. The sad truth is that the more you have saved and planned for old age, the more likely you are to get sick and use up the nest egg for medical expenses as your age increases. Buying good insurance for health coverage protects your other assets, if you have any, from medical expenses that are incredibly costly if anyone in the family gets really ill. If you have virtually no assets, then you don't have much to lose and your basic medical care will be virtually paid for.

That is nuts!!! $1644 a month? The kids are the main concern, plus my RX. I guess if we become sick we can run away to another country and get health care (if that is possible!). There was a documentary on TV a few years back showing people who needed a very expensive medication and they'd go to Cuba to get it at a cheaper price!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd been paying for my own insurance as a freelancer up until I married DH. At the time I was stopping it was being raised to $600+ a month just for me ... a single, non-smoker in her late thirties. When I started buying it myself it was over $200 a month for just me. Oh, and this is no DENTAL and no LIFE. JUST Medical.

Can insurance companies still turn folks down now or did they make that illegal? Because if it is still an issue, I'd make sure you find a new insurance quickly. Though I don't think you're going to find better than $1000 per month, especially for dental & life included.

It does suck. Maybe he should look for a new job! Or maybe you could get a job with benefits & choose your co's plan. Folks do a lot to keep benefits these days. My aunt & uncle waited to retire until their companies offered exit packages than included lifetme health ins. benefits. Smartest thing they ever did. Too bad most companies today don't even offer that option. Blerg.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked into an individual plan when I didn't have insurance coverage and it was insanely expensive-about $250/month for me at age 21, single, no pre-existing conditions. And this was in 2002 or 2003. I'm guessing it's going to be cheaper to stay on the company's plan. Or if you can get a job that offers better benefits, you could all switch to that.

As for everyone blaming the healthcare reform law on rate hikes, you need to check your facts on that: http://factcheck.org/2010/11/the-truth-about-health-insurance-premiums/

Rising health care costs are responsible for the big increases in premiums, not healthcare reform. The new coverages required by the healthcare reform law are responsible for rate increases of anywhere from 1-3% because of increased coverage. A few quotes:

-A health policy analyst with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners told us that "as a general trend across all carriers in a state … there’s about a 1 to 2 to 3 percent increase" in premiums in the individual market due to the health care law. If the legislation hadn’t been enacted, the bulk of the reported premium increases still would have occurred. "The real driver of the premiums is the costs, and you have to get the costs under control," the NAIC analyst said.

-These premium increases are mainly in the individual market, where about 14 million people buy their own insurance. That’s only about 6 percent of those with health coverage (non-elderly) in the U.S.

-Stephanie Marquis of the Washington State Office of the Insurance Commissioner told us that rate changes requested because of the health care law are expected to be less than 5 percent, while increases in premiums due to rising medical costs average 13.12 percent for individual plans and 15.54 percent for small-group plans.

But hey-why let facts get in the way of opinions, amirite?!

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
MC|1303498936|2902781 said:
That is nuts!!! $1644 a month? The kids are the main concern, plus my RX. I guess if we become sick we can run away to another country and get health care (if that is possible!). There was a documentary on TV a few years back showing people who needed a very expensive medication and they'd go to Cuba to get it at a cheaper price!

MC, I used ehealthinsurance.com multiple times to obtain insurance plans while I was a graduate student working part-time. For me alone it was around $300 a month, and that did not include pre-existing conditions, which was the only real reason I needed coverage. After one year, they would cover pre-existing conditions (probably so you pay in enough so they actually make money off of you). I'm not sure if the new health care laws require coverage for pre-existing conditions for both adults and children. Just make sure that whatever plan you get covers those.

Also, $400/month for a family of four sounds reasonable to me. My employer only kicks out a portion of my benefits coverage, so I have to make up the difference and add to our HSA, so I'm definitely spending over $400 for my portion of coverage for just me and DH. We use our insurance A LOT, though, so we went with a lower deductible.

ETA: actually, if I were you, I'd stick with the $300 through your DH's employer which includes dental and life insurance as long as possible and only switch when it's raised to $1K.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Oldminer|1303498554|2902773 said:

I agree with you. We had BCBS and I think they are the best, but they are so expensive. We are a family of four, and it was going up to well over $2000 a month with them, so we switched to someone else for about $1700 per month for the four of us. HOWEVER, it is not nearly as good a plan as BCBS was. The new company denies so many Rx's and does not pay as well.

Medicare is just as bad. They denied one of my FIL's skin cancer meds. as "not age appropriate." He appealed, but lost. We sort of chuckled; since he is mid 70's, "not age appropriate" must mean their calculations say one will die of other causes before the cancer progresses enough to be a problem?

Like you said, I think it is unfair that hospitals will discount the bills of the uninsured, but when insured, hospitals will not negotiate on out of pocket expenses. Whatever insurance does not pay, the insured patient is fully responsible for, and the insured's deductible/out of pocket may be many thousands of dollars.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Thing2 I know we don't agree on most political view points in fact probably none, I don't state my views on PS often if at all here. However, I can completely understanding why Insurance companies raise rates across the boards, because of such provisions (which is part of the HCR) such as extending a NO caps or no lifetime limits, as well as increasing the age limit to keep your children on parents health care, there are more, but I'll keep it short. Yes those types of provisions do add to total cost of health care, and someone has to got to pay for it. I know that last four years when we went out to market for our group insurance, guess what, we got some decent quotes, but after Obama Care - we were getting quotes back from many carriers at over 100% of what we were paying last year (no major health problems to any of my employees - they were stagnant for the years)... coincidence? likely not, luckily our current carriers gave us a break. Since the reform, I've been getting a ton of HCR notices, updates and notifications, that by law, I must disseminate these notices, and many don't understand most of the jargons on these notices anyways, and all I can say is "yep, oh thats going to add to the cost of health care, oh, and that too". Our rate increased by 28% for the same exact plan (we were lucky compare to a few other companies that have rate hikes higher than ours) and our employees don't know exactly how much it increased as we don't pass the increased to them for their families, we pay 100% for the employess. But hey, what do I know, just experience... right ? :rolleyes:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whoa! I haven't been insured (health-wise) for 3 to 4 years now because like Thing2 said, it would cost me upwards of $250/month. When I was working full time, that would've worked out to a nearly a quarter of my monthly income here. Now that I am working less than 30 hours/week...there's no way in hell I'd pay to have health insurance. That $250/month wouldn't even cover me if I got pregnant! A low down, dirty shame all around. I forgo activities (skiing, climbing, etc.) because I worry that I will be injured and won't be able to pay for health care. I've used Planned Parenthood off and on for many years because it's cheaper than seeing a regular physician for random things, including birth control and also for female health. (I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to PP) Too VERY bad federal funding was just cut. Thanks, America. PP isn't just an abortion clinic. :((

My parents who have always been self-employed, pay something like $40k per year. This is a couple who has worked hard day in and day out for all of their assets, taxed to death, put two children through school and college, seldom took vacations unless it was for their kids, etc. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer it was a ton of red tape although he was supposedly covered...oy, I shouldn't get started on that subject. :rolleyes:

ETA: also, any sort of insurance is a huge scam (in my opinion, and I have worked for an insurance agency and know the ins and outs, thank you, am still licensed until next month but will NOT be renewing). There, I said it.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
For my daughter and me, it's $500 a month or so. My coverage with my previous employer ended in March so this will be the rate until June when I get on my new employer's plan. It's a lot, imo considering I don't go to the doctor except for annuals but not having insurance gives me anxiety.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T|1303533417|2903194 said:
Well Thing2 I know we don't agree on most political view points in fact probably none, I don't state my views on PS often if at all here. However, I can completely understanding why Insurance companies raise rates across the boards, because of such provisions (which is part of the HCR) such as extending a NO caps or no lifetime limits, as well as increasing the age limit to keep your children on parents health care, there are more, but I'll keep it short. Yes those types of provisions do add to total cost of health care, and someone has to got to pay for it. I know that last four years when we went out to market for our group insurance, guess what, we got some decent quotes, but after Obama Care - we were getting quotes back from many carriers at over 100% of what we were paying last year (no major health problems to any of my employees - they were stagnant for the years)... coincidence? likely not, luckily our current carriers gave us a break. Since the reform, I've been getting a ton of HCR notices, updates and notifications, that by law, I must disseminate these notices, and many don't understand most of the jargons on these notices anyways, and all I can say is "yep, oh thats going to add to the cost of health care, oh, and that too". Our rate increased by 28% for the same exact plan (we were lucky compare to a few other companies that have rate hikes higher than ours) and our employees don't know exactly how much it increased as we don't pass the increased to them for their families, we pay 100% for the employess. But hey, what do I know, just experience... right ? :rolleyes:

Insurance companies have been raising rates to ridiculous levels for YEARS. I worked at an independently owned business full-time for 5 years and our insurance costs jumped by large percentages every single year. And this was from 2003-2008, when Bush was in office. We split the cost with the employer and we ended up with crappy coverage and huge copays, plus we paid a lot for the coverage ourselves. The bottom line is that health care costs are out of control in this country. They're much, much higher than any other industrialized country. And that has nothing to do with health care reform.

It's so fascinating to me that Americans (and I am an American) would rather go with their opinions than actual facts. I swear we're heading into another Dark Ages. "Well I don't care what the facts say, I just don't believe [insert issue here]!" :confused:

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1303548417|2903264 said:
Whoa! I haven't been insured (health-wise) for 3 to 4 years now because like Thing2 said, it would cost me upwards of $250/month. When I was working full time, that would've worked out to a nearly a quarter of my monthly income here. Now that I am working less than 30 hours/week...there's no way in hell I'd pay to have health insurance. That $250/month wouldn't even cover me if I got pregnant! A low down, dirty shame all around. I forgo activities (skiing, climbing, etc.) because I worry that I will be injured and won't be able to pay for health care. I've used Planned Parenthood off and on for many years because it's cheaper than seeing a regular physician for random things, including birth control and also for female health. (I can count on one hand the number of times I've been to PP) Too VERY bad federal funding was just cut. Thanks, America. PP isn't just an abortion clinic. :((

My parents who have always been self-employed, pay something like $40k per year. This is a couple who has worked hard day in and day out for all of their assets, taxed to death, put two children through school and college, seldom took vacations unless it was for their kids, etc. When my dad was diagnosed with cancer it was a ton of red tape although he was supposedly covered...oy, I shouldn't get started on that subject. :rolleyes:

ETA: also, any sort of insurance is a huge scam (in my opinion, and I have worked for an insurance agency and know the ins and outs, thank you, am still licensed until next month but will NOT be renewing). There, I said it.

PP funding did not get cut, monnie. Republicans tried to cut Title X funding but it didn't happen.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thing2- u are linking articles from 2010 at the start of the HCR - the law went into affect but the actual role out of the HCR hasn't even phased in yet and that will continue on for another 8 or 9 more years or so. I'd like to see how this comes out in the next few years with actual facts and data NOT projections and forecasting. Even in the article you linked states this " It remains to be seen, after the law is fully implemented, whether it will "reduce" premiums or lower costs"

I've worked for my current employer going on six years and I am involved heavily in benefits adminstrations, and we go out to market almost yearly to find the best rates, with the largest networked provider. We usually get very competitve rates with some carriers actually coming back to us with less cost than our current rates the last 4-5 years (I don't know how your previous employer determine which carrier to use year after year whether they just take the renewal rates and go with it, but we actually have every individual submit health questionnaires in order to go out to the market). We decide to go with the carrier with the largest network and yes that does come with a slightly higher cost but no where up to 28-100% as with our last renewal after the HCR. Yes, it is bad enough that increases happen, but to add an additional HCR increase makes it that much worse. Insurance companies are in the business of making money risk and rewards, if they weren't in the business of making money, i'd be scared that there were no insurance companies at all, which would mean - we pay 100% out of pocket, or let the gov dictate our health care... If the HCR plan was so great, how come the largest constituents(union workers) of the democratic party (FOR HCR) want to opt out and asked for waivers? (rhetorical)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
rubybeth|1303513176|2902927 said:
[
ETA: actually, if I were you, I'd stick with the $300 through your DH's employer which includes dental and life insurance as long as possible and only switch when it's raised to $1K.

Yeah, I told my husband about this thread and I guess the deal is our insurance is going from $280 to $330 *right now* and will be upped to the $1000, but we don't know when! Sometime this year, so it's not going to be the next paycheck or too traumatic at this point. Still a) we can't afford that and b) finding a new job at this time also isn't an option.

Okay, I'm going to go back through all your posts and read what's been said. Sorry if I don't reply to everything. This is a huge learning experience at this point and I appreciate all your feedback and comments.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1303499754|2902797 said:
I'd been paying for my own insurance as a freelancer up until I married DH. At the time I was stopping it was being raised to $600+ a month just for me ... a single, non-smoker in her late thirties. When I started buying it myself it was over $200 a month for just me. Oh, and this is no DENTAL and no LIFE. JUST Medical.

Can insurance companies still turn folks down now or did they make that illegal? Because if it is still an issue, I'd make sure you find a new insurance quickly. Though I don't think you're going to find better than $1000 per month, especially for dental & life included.

It does suck. Maybe he should look for a new job! Or maybe you could get a job with benefits & choose your co's plan. Folks do a lot to keep benefits these days. My aunt & uncle waited to retire until their companies offered exit packages than included lifetme health ins. benefits. Smartest thing they ever did. Too bad most companies today don't even offer that option. Blerg.

From what I heard, insur co's no longer can turn down for pre-exisiting. We're in our late 30s now...I'll have to double check.

I'm unemployed right now and am looking into options b/c I've been at home w/my kids for 10 years which means lack of job experience and an outdated accounting degree. Guess how much the least expensive child care I can find right now for two kids is? $1000. Figures, huh?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1303594157|2903614 said:

From what I heard, insur co's no longer can turn down for pre-exisiting. We're in our late 30s now...I'll have to double check.

I'm unemployed right now and am looking into options b/c I've been at home w/my kids for 10 years which means lack of job experience and an outdated accounting degree. Guess how much the least expensive child care I can find right now for two kids is? $1000. Figures, huh?

MC, can i ask how old your children are? State and Federal jobs tend to have THE GREATEST benefits for families and individuals. If your kids are in school, could you look into getting a job in a public school? That way, you could have similar hours as your kids and great benefits for everyone in addition to a salary. I know you said you have an accounting degree, but there are positions in administration that might need to be filled. Or you could look into other state jobs that might have good benefits too.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this - insurance is a giant pain. I wouldn't go without it though, because if anything ever went wrong, you would pay a whole lot more than what accumulates over your monthly payment. My husband had to have a CAT scan last year and it was $1,000 just for that one scan (he didn't have insurance at the time).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
violet3|1303609768|2903781 said:
MC|1303594157|2903614 said:

MC, can i ask how old your children are? State and Federal jobs tend to have THE GREATEST benefits for families and individuals. If your kids are in school, could you look into getting a job in a public school? That way, you could have similar hours as your kids and great benefits for everyone in addition to a salary. I know you said you have an accounting degree, but there are positions in administration that might need to be filled. Or you could look into other state jobs that might have good benefits too.

I'm sorry you are having to deal with this - insurance is a giant pain. I wouldn't go without it though, because if anything ever went wrong, you would pay a whole lot more than what accumulates over your monthly payment. My husband had to have a CAT scan last year and it was $1,000 just for that one scan (he didn't have insurance at the time).

Hi, my kids are 10 1/2 (4th grade) and 8 1/2 (2nd) grade. I've looked into become a para-educator and some of my friends are working those positions. That's basically how most non-educationally-trained individuals (mostly moms) enter into the district. One of my friends has had great luck by applying in multiple districts to avoid the conflict of major budget cuts w/in each district. The procedure is odd in that most get up at 4 am every morning and competitively sign up for any opening on a given day.

I have been looking at state jobs and federal jobs to see what's out there, but yes, school jobs are ideal b/c I'd be home with the kids in the summer for activities.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T|1303577670|2903417 said:
Thing2- u are linking articles from 2010 at the start of the HCR - the law went into affect but the actual role out of the HCR hasn't even phased in yet and that will continue on for another 8 or 9 more years or so. I'd like to see how this comes out in the next few years with actual facts and data NOT projections and forecasting. Even in the article you linked states this " It remains to be seen, after the law is fully implemented, whether it will "reduce" premiums or lower costs"

I've worked for my current employer going on six years and I am involved heavily in benefits adminstrations, and we go out to market almost yearly to find the best rates, with the largest networked provider. We usually get very competitve rates with some carriers actually coming back to us with less cost than our current rates the last 4-5 years (I don't know how your previous employer determine which carrier to use year after year whether they just take the renewal rates and go with it, but we actually have every individual submit health questionnaires in order to go out to the market). We decide to go with the carrier with the largest network and yes that does come with a slightly higher cost but no where up to 28-100% as with our last renewal after the HCR. Yes, it is bad enough that increases happen, but to add an additional HCR increase makes it that much worse. Insurance companies are in the business of making money risk and rewards, if they weren't in the business of making money, i'd be scared that there were no insurance companies at all, which would mean - we pay 100% out of pocket, or let the gov dictate our health care... If the HCR plan was so great, how come the largest constituents(union workers) of the democratic party (FOR HCR) want to opt out and asked for waivers? (rhetorical)

Okay, so you're saying rates are being raised now for things that haven't happened yet but will happen in 8-9 years? How does that work, exactly? And I'd be happy to let the government dictate my health care with a single payer system. My brother is a Libertarian who currently lives in Sweden (his wife is Swedish), and he has no problems at all with his government-run health care. He actually just got knee surgery from a great doctor, and no, there wasn't a super long waiting list.

I'm not sure what insurance companies making profits has to do with providing quality health care. In fact, it's extremely clear that insurance companies are more concerned with their profits than the health of their policy holders.

As far as waivers, I don't know what you're talking about, but most waivers have been given to corporations in the restaurant industry (like McDonald's) who lobbied AGAINST the health care reform bill because they offer such barebones plans. And the waivers aren't permanent, they're short term in order to give the companies extra time to comply with certain provisions. http://www.factcheck.org/2010/12/health-care-law-waivers/

The links I posted are from factcheck.org and debunk the vast majority of rumors and misinformation swirling around during the time the health care reform bill was passed, which is why they're dated 2010.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thing2- Here is an excerpt from an actual insurance co. BCBS
How will health reform affect my premiums? There are a number of factors that are driving health insurance premiums. Increasing use of health care services due to an aging population; obesity and chronic illnesses; new treatments; prescription drugs and expensive new technologies are the biggest causes of increasing health care premiums. The new law establishes a few pilot programs, but does not aggressively attempt to control rising health care costs.
We believe that premiums will increase as a result of provisions in the reform legislation that will guarantee richer levels of benefits than most consumers who obtain their own insurance purchase today. Insufficient discounts for the young and healthy will encourage many of them to forgo coverage. New fees and taxes mandated by the new law will also likely increase the cost of premiums as they are phased in.
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan already works with doctors, hospitals, employers and consumers to rein in costs and insurance premiums while improving access to quality health care. In doing so, we've be able to reduce unnecessary hospital readmissions, eliminate infections acquired during hospital visits and promote paying doctors and hospitals for quality outcomes to help achieve this goal. We will of course continue these efforts.

Okay, so you're saying rates are being raised now for things that haven't happened yet but will happen in 8-9 years? How does that work, exactly?

No your article is just a projections of what the HCR supposedly. However, future premiums are based off of what has happend in past years Medical Loss Ratio of companies.

Even insurance companies states that this HCR is ONGOING, and the affects is yet to be determined until after 2014. Anyways, I'll just agree to disagree.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll address the other points after dropping DD off at school... but your also bringing in another factor but we are talking strictly on cost NOT quality

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1303750314|2904603 said:
MC,

Have you checked costco's price for your med? They have a price checker online. http://www.costco.com/Pharmacy/DrugInformation.aspx?p=1 Your med might be much cheaper here. Might be worth getting a membership if you can get a price break.

Thanks...I just checked. Without insurance it's $444 for 60 tablets and w/insur it's $16.80.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results