shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone on a wishlist for the March Buying Trips

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Its that time where we give our pearly Santas our Hong Kong Gem show buying List! I was wondering if anyone is asking or searching for anything special?

I am on the look out for some pearls colored like this (Kevin from PoJ is on the HUNT!)
img_5862.jpg
img_5865.jpg

Those ones are carved by Galatea, and I don't think I could get my hand on one of those, but that color is what I am hoping he finds!!! :love: :love: :love:

How about you guys?

Q

Queenie60

Those are very unique. Great color. Haven't put myself on a wish list. Just wait until I get the pearl itch and then check out what the vendors have. I like the sales!!

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are those chocolate Tahitians Ckrickett? They are such an unusual colour!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1456942282|3998546 said:

No, they are fancy colored freshwaters! They are metallic lavenders with extreme green overtones. I am so in love with them!

Purranha

Rough_Rock
I asked Kevin to keep an eye out for me for a pair of souffle earrings. I missed out on his last round, and while I have a pair of HG ripple earrings, they are woof so heavy!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Purranha|1456944974|3998582 said:
I asked Kevin to keep an eye out for me for a pair of souffle earrings. I missed out on his last round, and while I have a pair of HG ripple earrings, they are woof so heavy!
thats the amazing thing about souffles! I have a few pairs of Ripple earrings that I will probably turn into necklaces or something!!

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
I asked PP to look out for an Edison necklace like Baby Nurse's. I'm seriously coveting her necklace.

However, I was just on Kojima last night and I ordered some Tahitians, so I may have over extended myself.

I'm always disappointed when I order Tahitians because they never look the same in person as they do in the photos, so I'm nervous about that order.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that's a gorgeous carved freshwater strand. I'd want it as a bracelet so I could look at it all the time. And of course pearls that color that aren't carved would be gorgeous.

I just got a few new pieces so guess that puts me back on pearl parole (pearlole?) for a while. No Spring trip goodies for me.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
BWeaves|1456946655|3998599 said:
I asked PP to look out for an Edison necklace like Baby Nurse's. I'm seriously coveting her necklace.

However, I was just on Kojima last night and I ordered some Tahitians, so I may have over extended myself.

I'm always disappointed when I order Tahitians because they never look the same in person as they do in the photos, so I'm nervous about that order.
have you checked out the IRL vs vendor pics thread on here for Tahitians. Its insanely helpful

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Ckrickett:

Yes, I have checked out the IRL Tahitian thread. And yes, it was very helpful.

I've also ordered and returned a couple of Tahitian strands because they just didn't wow me in person.

I've already chatted with Sarah at Kojima Pearl, and she said I can return the pearls if they don't suit me. I don't know if you saw her website recently, but there was an opal and Tahitian drop pair of earrings that just showed up, and I knew they wouldn't last long. And I kept eyeing the Isa Isa necklace, which seemed to be a good match to the earrings, so I pulled the trigger and ordered them. I expect they will arrive tomorrow, so I'll keep you posted.

I know I should have probably waited, as all my favorite vendors are in Hong Kong buying new pearls.
And The Hamantaschen is currently being worked on, too, at my jeweler.

But, PEARLS.

Nuff, said.

Susan7639

Rough_Rock

BWeaves, May I please ask about your convo with Pearl Paradise. I called them the day before yesterday asking for a strand like Baby Nurse's and the lady that is in the office this week said she would contact their people who were on the HK trip to be on the lookout for one like it. Yesterday they called me back to say they actually had one in the California office. I am wondering if you saw pictures of that one and turned it down for some reason or if they mentioned something to you that made you not interested in it? I know nothing about pearls and this worried me a little.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ckrickett|1456943160|3998561 said:

No, they are fancy colored freshwaters! They are metallic lavenders with extreme green overtones. I am so in love with them!

They're fantastic! I *thought* they looked like freshwater pearls, but didn't think Galatea carved anything but Tahitians.

I hope Kevin can find some for you!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
cmd2014|1457057498|3999415 said:
ckrickett|1456943160|3998561 said:

They're fantastic! I *thought* they looked like freshwater pearls, but didn't think Galatea carved anything but Tahitians.

I hope Kevin can find some for you!

Have you not SEEN their carved Freshwaters!!!??
Even the common colored ones are so dreamy!!!

111galatea.jpg
11galatea.jpg
1galatea.jpg

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, I've clearly been too focused on political power pearls! I hadn't seen the carved freshwaters. Now I'm going to have to go look! :love:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Susan7639|1457048352|3999329 said:

BWeaves, May I please ask about your convo with Pearl Paradise. I called them the day before yesterday asking for a strand like Baby Nurse's and the lady that is in the office this week said she would contact their people who were on the HK trip to be on the lookout for one like it. Yesterday they called me back to say they actually had one in the California office. I am wondering if you saw pictures of that one and turned it down for some reason or if they mentioned something to you that made you not interested in it? I know nothing about pearls and this worried me a little.

Is that the bigger of the two strands that was previously featured on the pp blog? I think the smaller strand that baby nurse got has cleaner surface and slightly sharper luster. I asked about them when I first saw them on the blog.

If it is, the pearls are fairly big and may not be suitable for daily wear for most people I guess... Personally 15mm is fine for me but it would be a bit too much on someone more petite.

Susan7639

Rough_Rock
icy_jade|1457075289|3999529 said:

Is that the bigger of the two strands that was previously featured on the pp blog? I think the smaller strand that baby nurse got has cleaner surface and slightly sharper luster. I asked about them when I first saw them on the blog.

If it is, the pearls are fairly big and may not be suitable for daily wear for most people I guess... Personally 15mm is fine for me but it would be a bit too much on someone more petite.

IcyJade, thank you
Ack this is what I was worried about. They are now describing them as being on par with Baby Nurse's and of course they are already on the way to me. If you happen to recall aproximately where in the blog this was I would love to see. I have been through it and can not find. I am disappointed because I will be out the stringing cost as I had a different clasp put on these.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Susan7639|1457097053|3999612 said:
icy_jade|1457075289|3999529 said:

IcyJade, thank you
Ack this is what I was worried about. They are now describing them as being on par with Baby Nurse's and of course they are already on the way to me. If you happen to recall aproximately where in the blog this was I would love to see. I have been through it and can not find. I am disappointed because I will be out the stringing cost as I had a different clasp put on these.

if I where you I would wear them a few times. PP has a generous return policy, and although you'd be out the stringing fee, you wouldn't be out the cost of the pearls. I would wear them out a few times, and see how they look with certain outfits, to see if you love them and if they aren't to big or not as pretty as you thought.

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here they are. They look gorgeous to me. I'm more than a bit jealous! But if you don't like them, the stringing fee really isn't that much to be out in comparison to the price of the pearls.

_2298.jpeg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
There you go. http://blog.pearlparadise.com/2015/10/special-pearls-from-the-september-hong-kong-show/

Let us know what you think? I was seriously tempted tbh and contacted pp after reading the post. But regular white fwp doesn't suit my skin tone so I gave up the idea. For the bigger strand, it's the middle pearl that looks significantly bigger from the pics. If the pearls are really too big, removing the centre pearl may help (it'll make a nice pendant or keep it till pss/pearl shrinkage sets in to put it back in the strand).

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Hi Susan:

Those are the two strands that I was drooling over. The bigger strand was just too big for me. My neck has a weight limit, and I've tried on ripples in that larger size and was not comfortable.

The smaller strand (which Baby Nurse got) is the one I originally contacted PP about. At the time, it was more expensive than I wanted to spend at that moment. In hindsight, I'm kicking myself, which is why I asked PP to look for a similar strand for me.

Ironically, Kevin from POJ just posted a similar necklace on his blog, and I put dibs on it. So I'm curious if PP finds one, too.

I've learned not to wait until something shows up on the website, because someone will buy it before it every makes it to the website.

Oddly enough, I was second in line for Kevin's POJ strand, and the first person changed their mind, and the strand hasn't even made it back from Hong Kong yet. They can't have rejected the pearls on looks, so they may have balked at the price, I don't know. I know if I decide against one or both strands that someone else will come behind me and snap it up. I would even recommend that you contact Kevin at POJ and say that you are interested in the Edison necklace he found in Hong Kong. You'll be behind me in line if I change my mind, but you'll be next in line. Just in case you change your mind about the PP Edisons. It doesn't hurt to be in two waiting lists. You can always say no if you bubble up to the top of the list.

By the way, if I reject pearls, it usually has nothing to do with the pearls being bad. They are usually gorgeous, but just don't work on me. It could be color, or texture, or weight, or don't really work with my clothing, or they might be too close to something else I already own and I can't justify owning two of the same thing. Or, darling hubby says, "HOW MUCH?" I usually buy whatever I like, but sometimes I have to agree with him if we really should be saving up for something else.

Frost Me

Brilliant_Rock
I can't believe PP still had the other strand of Edisons. Susan I can't wait to see photos from you. If I hadn't purchased my non graduated 12mm freshwaters (all nacre) last year I would have jumped on these, :confused: pending cost. In the beginning mine seemed big, but now I don't feel they are big, I wear them often, love it! I agree have the center pearl removed if it's too much, a pendant on a long chain would be pretty. Also remember, Jeremy said "Freshwater pearls have never looked like this before". :Up_to_something: :Up_to_something:

Purranha

Rough_Rock
Hey Ladies!

I actually inquired about the Edisons, too (both PP & PoJ).

For PP, the 2 strands were said to have very comparable luster, while BabyNurse's is smaller & cleaner, and the other strand is larger and sliiightly more blemishes. I think the larger Edison strand is still available at PP because they didn't really advertise it much aside from the initial blog post.

Lolol BWeaves you are #2? I pinged Kevin about that strand, but more so because I was curious about size & price for my own information. For me, I am aaallllways so tempted by those beautiful Edisons, but I already have a WSSP strand, which makes it difficult to justify. So whoever pings Kevin and find out there are 3 people on the list, do not despair because I most likely won't pull trigger in the end!

Purr~

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I saw the larger white Edison strand when 4 Ranch Girl and I visited Pearl Paradise last Friday. I would not be disappointed if it arrived on my doorstep! I wasn't examining it closely for blemishes, but none leaped out at me. The luster was beautiful -- it is an impressive necklace. The WSS pearl growers have to be nervous.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Purrahna:

Haahahah, yeah, I'm not surprised that the other person who contacted Kevin at POJ would be someone on these pearl forums. You must have been fast on the trigger, because I e-mailed him as soon as I saw his photos posted online.

Since he hadn't posted Edisons like that before, I didn't ask him to look for me, but I did ask PP to look for me. Kevin said this was the only necklace he found like it, so I'm curious if PP found any.

Actually, last Hong Kong trip, I asked both PP and POJ to find me large drops for my huggies, and POJ found some and PP didn't. But Hisano at PP came through with gorgeous BBAs, which are Kevin at POJs favorite thing, so I never know who will find me pearls. I really like both vendors.

Susan7639

Rough_Rock
Thanks everybody! I feel better seeing it next tithe original. If it turns out not to be for me perhaps someone here will snap it up from me. I got a great price since I found a 20% off code that I think caught them by surprise :angel: Think it was left over from Valentine's day.

BWeaves

Shiny_Rock
Susan:

Even if you don't keep the necklace, please give us a neck shot!

We're all dying to see it on someone's neck, since it is gorgeous.

Thanks in advance.

Purranha

Rough_Rock
BWeaves|1457116975|3999827 said:
Purrahna:

Haahahah, yeah, I'm not surprised that the other person who contacted Kevin at POJ would be someone on these pearl forums. You must have been fast on the trigger, because I e-mailed him as soon as I saw his photos posted online.

Since he hadn't posted Edisons like that before, I didn't ask him to look for me, but I did ask PP to look for me. Kevin said this was the only necklace he found like it, so I'm curious if PP found any.

Actually, last Hong Kong trip, I asked both PP and POJ to find me large drops for my huggies, and POJ found some and PP didn't. But Hisano at PP came through with gorgeous BBAs, which are Kevin at POJs favorite thing, so I never know who will find me pearls. I really like both vendors.

Lol oh no no no BWeaves sorry I wasn't clear but I am actually #3... I was slower!
So #1 dropped out, you are #2, and I as #3 likely won't pull trigger, so if anyone got on the #4 spot, they should feel pretty good if you decide not to go for it!

Purranha

Rough_Rock
Susan7639|1457117094|3999829 said:
Thanks everybody! I feel better seeing it next tithe original. If it turns out not to be for me perhaps someone here will snap it up from me. I got a great price since I found a 20% off code that I think caught them by surprise :angel: Think it was left over from Valentine's day.

Lololol the V-day coupon STILL works? They must have forgotten to deactivate it. Good one Susan!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm looking forward to seeing it on your neck, BWeaves! :appl:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am saving up for my trip to LA in July/August, and shall go with an open mind, along with a shopping list!

DK :naughty: :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results