shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone NOT Suffer from DSS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TCBug

Rough_Rock
Some people dream of their weddings or dresses. Like most PSers, I dreamed of my ring since I was a kid. I always wanted a 1 carat marquise.

But when I got engaged in early 1984, DH and I were only 20. DH''s father helped him pick out the stone and INSISTED that "engagement rings are round" and (because he didn''t know DH and I had talked about my love of marquise), FIL INSISTED that a fancy shape is for a RHR ("dinner ring" in FIL''s parlance back then) at some later date. Frankly, DH and I were still students and his dad paid for my .81 round stone, H/VVS1 -- lovely cut. I still own it, wear it often, and LOVE it.

Fast forward to the ten year wedding anniversary in 12/96. I still want the marquise. DH and I picked out and purchased my DREAM RING. 2.02 carats, marquise, D/VS2. Again, lovely cut. I wear it as my engagement ring. (I have to admit I have changed the setting from yellow to white gold and from "modern" to "vintage" since 1996.) To this day, this particular marquise is still "the ring" of my dreams.

Fast forward again. Now it''s 12/06 -- the 20th anniversary. DH cringes but asks if it''s "upgrade" time again. Nooooo! It''s not! I DO want a ring to celebrate the big 2-0 and we custom made a blue, blue, blue emerald-cut aquamarine in a halo. It''s lovely. (I''ve been looking at it on the sly.)

But I swear that the 10th anniversary marquise (2x bigger than I wanted in 1986) is EXACTLY my dream ring -- and what I want to this day. I''m done. I''m happy. I live in NYC and DON''T have diamond shrinkage syndrome. Am I insane?
21.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Nope - I''ve never felt the urge to upgrade either.

TCBug

Rough_Rock
Thanks buddy! I''m feeling more sane as the minutes roll by!
2.gif

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Pre-Pricescope: No. Infact, I felt at times like my 1.06 princess was TOO big.
Post-Pricescope: Yes. Shrinkage set in big time.
Now: Nope! My new e-ring setting has different and thinner prongs, different and thinner shank and my diamond looks perfect for me! Not too big, not too small.
30.gif
I''ve become very sentimental about my new e-ring setting and my original stone (which is in the new e-ring), my new wedding band (original got lost
15.gif
) and my anniversary band that I had zero plans to upgrade.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
To you non-DSS sufferers, what IS your secret??!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I would never succumb to DSS.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I feel major DSS with my e-ring and I did almost right away.

However, with my wedding band I think it looks huge!!! However, I just got it...so ask me again in a few months. I honestly don''t *think* I will get DSS with my wedding band though.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Well, besides Diamond Shrinkage Syndrome, DSS could also stand for DARN STINKIN'' SAD!
2.gif
1.gif
9.gif

I mean, COME ON... I live in rural PA... drive a Toyota... and have a 2+ carat stone which is the biggest (and most beautiful) diamond of ANYONE else I know IRL... and I am complaining "it''s too small!" It''s ridiculous!!!
20.gif

Somebody smack me!
1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Speaking as someone that got an upgrade about 6 years ago, I haven''t experienced any DSS. It looks as big today as when I got it. But my hands are tiny, so maybe that helps??

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lynn you don't live in rural PA.

You live here with us, on Pricescope!
35.gif

Now hurry up; it's upgrade time girl.
25.gif

TCBug

Rough_Rock
Lynn-- I love you! What I would tell my best friend is, "Stop your belly aching already."

Look at your diamond. . . and then look at it again. More lovely than you ever imagined, right? Even in PA, or Cleveland, or NYC? I mean LOOK at your stone, sans Pricescope, (ok, even WITH PSsope) look and just SMILE!!!!!!!! Your rock ROCKS, girl. Love it, cherish it, and enjoy your life!!!!!!!!

snlee

Ideal_Rock
My diamond doesn't look as big as when I first put it one. So yes, I suffer from DDS! However, I'm very content with the diamond I have. I've upgraded a couple times already and THIS diamond is by far the prettiest. I really do love it and it's the diamond I had when I got married. I can say with 99.99% certainty that I won't upgrade this baby again.

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
I wish I could be like you. My dream was a 1 carat pear. I''m not totally sure that''s still my dream, but whatever my dream is, I don''t own it and probably never will.

We agreed on a $2,000 budget for my ring and I wanted an antique (and stupid me went under budget!!). Because I had to rely on what was available on the market the time I ended up something that wasn''t totally my dream. If I were to decribe my perfect ring, my current one has none of those qualities at all.

Also, I was worried about what he thought of it. I shouldn''t have cared so much about what he thought. He picked his own engagement ring and wedding band without input from me. My wedding band was picked by me alone. My engagement ring was the only thing we decided together...and it''s much more his taste than mine. If he got to decide on his alone, I should have been firm about deciding on mine alone.

He doesn''t agree with upgrades and is firm that it''s large...it''s still (barely) larger than average for the country that we live in.

My saving grace is all my wedding bands. I wanted two very different styles so I was married with two. Since then I''ve collected another one that I adore and sometimes wear an old sapphire band I have from a previous relationship. Nothing like having 4 wedding bands to cheer me up and make me forget about the engagement ring!!
2.gif

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I have a little over a carat stone which was an upgrade from about a half a carat. I doubt I will ever upgrade again. The diamond really doesn''t look any smaller to me then when I got it in August. I do wonder sometimes if I should have put less money into the setting and gotten a bigger stone (the setting WAS expensive) but I really didn''t want a solitaire. To me an interesting setting was very important and I figured if I didn''t get a "cool" setting at that time, I probably never would. And now, there is so much other gorgeous jewelry, I''d rather concentrate on right hand rings, pendants etc. So, I really don''t think I have DSS. I''m content with what I have.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
TC, you are lucky that you have what you love.

Don''t get me wrong because I love my ring and I loved the upgrade before it, and do not need any else in life as an upgrade to my ring, but honestly, if my hubby offered? I might look and see what is out there and think about it, I would never say never.

I am glad you were able to get the ring of your dreams and that it still gives you joy...

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
You are so lucky!
you are a good wife and you have a fantastic DH who listened to you years ago regarding your first upgrade, which sounds like it got you to where you want to!

I don''t suffer from DSS- in fact I am one of those people that would rather trade some size for a higher quality stone.
Personally I already know what I want in terms of an upgrade and I have tough time even thinking about how I will verbalize this to my DH and tell him I am no longer happy w/ my e-ring. I know it sounds horrible, but he "designed" the ring himself and used a family stone, which is an antique cut of good size but not of great quality (specificallly color.) I have to hear at EVERY FAMILY FUNCTION where the center stone of my e-ring came from- it''s embarassing. I love the design of the ring, but not the craftsmanship of the ring, and I would like something w/ better color.

I think that once I was satisfied w/ my ring I would look to earrings in terms of a diamond project.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/13/2006 8:15:23 PM
Author:TCBug
Some people dream of their weddings or dresses. Like most PSers, I dreamed of my ring since I was a kid. I always wanted a 1 carat marquise.

But when I got engaged in early 1984, DH and I were only 20. DH''s father helped him pick out the stone and INSISTED that ''engagement rings are round'' and (because he didn''t know DH and I had talked about my love of marquise), FIL INSISTED that a fancy shape is for a RHR (''dinner ring'' in FIL''s parlance back then) at some later date. Frankly, DH and I were still students and his dad paid for my .81 round stone, H/VVS1 -- lovely cut. I still own it, wear it often, and LOVE it.

Fast forward to the ten year wedding anniversary in 12/96. I still want the marquise. DH and I picked out and purchased my DREAM RING. 2.02 carats, marquise, D/VS2. Again, lovely cut. I wear it as my engagement ring. (I have to admit I have changed the setting from yellow to white gold and from ''modern'' to ''vintage'' since 1996.) To this day, this particular marquise is still ''the ring'' of my dreams.

Fast forward again. Now it''s 12/06 -- the 20th anniversary. DH cringes but asks if it''s ''upgrade'' time again. Nooooo! It''s not! I DO want a ring to celebrate the big 2-0 and we custom made a blue, blue, blue emerald-cut aquamarine in a halo. It''s lovely. (I''ve been looking at it on the sly.)

But I swear that the 10th anniversary marquise (2x bigger than I wanted in 1986) is EXACTLY my dream ring -- and what I want to this day. I''m done. I''m happy. I live in NYC and DON''T have diamond shrinkage syndrome. Am I insane?
21.gif
nope - in fact I daresay quite the reverse.... I''d guess you''re *more* sane lol!! I had dss *before* we got the stone which increased its size by 2 full carats.... but since I''ve had it, none. And I seriously don''t think I ever will. It is what it is and I''m content. Sometimes I think I''d like *another* one, but I think this one fits me so to a T that just getting bigger for bigger''s sake wouldn''t be alluring.

diamondlove

Shiny_Rock
I''m with you Cehrabehra, I was much more worried about DSS before he proposed. I was unsure what size he would ultimately decide on and worried I may not be happy with it but I was ecstatic with the 1.8 and have not had DSS at all. There are days when it looks smaller to me and then there are days when it just pops and I think to myself how nice and big that rock is, lol.

Being complimented by strangers certainly helps keep the DSS away and I''ve realized looking at the ring in the mirror makes you realize how others view it than the day to day view we see when we look down.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i had DSS about 2 months ago. I put the stones away for about a week. wore something else. put the diamonds back on and they were back to their normal size.

jfo

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t suffer from DSS because I do think that my 1.23 radiant is the perfect size for my size 4 finger. I had a slight awakening when I joined PS and realized that square shapes show smaller than rounds in the same carat weight, but I''m still ok with it. That said, I suffer from the other form of DSS (Diamond SHAPE syndrome)... Seeing all these beautiful diamond shapes (i.e., cushions, rounds, ec''s, asschers, omc''s, ovals) really makes me want a diamond shape of every kind!
20.gif

That said, I have been married just under a year and can''t imagine getting another diamond ring for a LONG time... Plus it is highly likely I will inherit my mom''s original 1 ct round brilliant some day and will have it reset. Maybe that will satisfy me at that time for a while...
28.gif

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don''t have DSS at all and my diamond is only a 0.79 carat round brilliant. For a while after I discovered DiamondTalk I did obsess about getting an ideal cut. I discovered diamond forums while researching what I wanted for a 15th anniversary gift. That came and went and I never got anything because I still can''t decide what I want, even though what I can afford keeps increasing. I''m coming to the conclusion that I like looking at jewelry more than I actually want it. I love looking at the beautiful pieces of friends and even acquaintances (I''m the one that will ask to see your ring in aerobics class and I don''t even know your name) but I''m just not that interested in spending my own money on jewelry!

I do love seeing all the pictures here. Speaking of which, I was thinking the other day that the pics in jewelry store holiday flyers/catalogues/ads are so lackluster compared to the ones I see here! Some of you should freelance as jewelry photographers!

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I have to admit I do suffer from DSS. This is terrible, but sometimes I think about a much larger diamond I would get if I lost my ring and got the insurance money for it. I like my ring, but I don''t love it. There''s things I would change about the setting, and of course, if finances allowed, I would get a larger stone than the 1 carat one I have now. I already told my husband that if we ever are very well off, I''m buying myself a 3 carat diamond. As I''m reading this before posting it, I''m wondering whether to hit the submit button because it certainly doesn''t read well!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2006 9:43:07 AM
Author: coda72
Well, I have to admit I do suffer from DSS. This is terrible, but sometimes I think about a much larger diamond I would get if I lost my ring and got the insurance money for it. I like my ring, but I don''t love it. There''s things I would change about the setting, and of course, if finances allowed, I would get a larger stone than the 1 carat one I have now. I already told my husband that if we ever are very well off, I''m buying myself a 3 carat diamond. As I''m reading this before posting it, I''m wondering whether to hit the submit button because it certainly doesn''t read well!
Coda don''t worry - we get what you mean totally!
35.gif
Out of interest would you get another Radiant?

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
I've only had my ring for about a year...but I haven't really experienced DSS.

My stone is a 1.57 carat asscher, set in a halo...I still think it looks pretty big...and I just love the stone. Perhaps a lot of that comes from the fact that compared to most rings I see, mine is still pretty large...

I don't know if it is because since I started thinking about engagement rings I knew I wanted an asscher and after I saw a halo, I knew I wanted a halo...really, my ring is just the perfect ring. I love it. I tell my FI all the time how much I adore it. Of course, he totally let me pick it out, so that might have something to do with it...

Now, all of that having been said, if someone walked in and said here is a faboo 5 carat asscher or even a 3 carat asscher, do you want it? The answer would HECK YEAH!

But I don't feel the need to upgrade and can't really imagine that I'll feel it in the future...we got engaged when I was 31 and FI was 35, we both have careers...so we were able to get a pretty substantial stone for the first one...

Oh, and I wouldn't want anything but an asscher. I just LOVE the cut.

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/14/2006 10:07:44 AM
Author: Lorelei

Coda don''t worry - we get what you mean totally!
35.gif
Out of interest would you get another Radiant?
Lorelei, I would probably either get another radiant or an oval. I''m definitely a fancy shape person. A round brilliant e-ring is just too common for me.

eleguin

Shiny_Rock
I''ve never felt DSS either and I know for sure that we will never upgrade my stone. It was important to both of us that I wear the stone we got engaged with forever. I work in a big law firm in NYC, surrounded by big beautiful stones everywhere, but I don''t feel any DSS at all and I don''t envy people with larger stones than mine. I think it''s because I never had the mentality of wanting the biggest stone out there (don''t have that "bigger is better" thought), but rather I always had a ideal size for me. I told FI before we got engaged that if I had all the stones in the world to choose from and money was no object, I would want a 2 carat RB because that is the size that looks perfect on me. He ended up getting me a 2.03 carat RB and I love it! It''s my ideal size and no matter how many 3 or 4 or 5+ carats I see around me, I still think 2 is my ideal size.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
No DSS here with my .75 RB! And agree with whoever said their wband makes their diamond look bigger... I totally agree!

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
No DSS with my 0.56! Although I''ve read about a lot of people feeling that their diamond is too big when they first get it, and then it started feeling normal and then a little small. Mine never felt too big, so I wonder if that helps?

Lack of DSS doesn''t mean I''m never going to upgrade though.
2.gif

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
I have DSS and I just upgraded my diamond from 0.82 ct to 1.2ct... it''s only been two days since I got the new ring and it''s looking smaller and smaller on my size 5 finger
8.gif
.... I need a cure!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did have DSS, in the sense that my diamond doesn''t look as big as when I first got it, but it just looks normal now. I like my ring more and more every day and am glad I got something simple, because it''s just so wearable. Most of the folks I hang out these days wear diamonds in the 2-4 carat range but you''d think I''d be more prone to shrinkage, but it sparkles so gloriously that it keeps me happy and proud of wearing it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results