shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone NOT Suffer from DSS?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 11:44:38 PM
Author: diamondfan
I have a few more things I would like to round out my collection

..and usually no make up either! (though I love to buy it I just cannot be bothered to use it most of the time!)
Okay first - what would you like to round out your collection?

and second.... that is so me!! It''s just a PITA lol I especially love lipstick... I have bags and bags of it and if I only wear one thing - it''s lipstick. I *should* wear mascara since my eyelashes are blonde and sparse lol but it''s what I like wearing the least - there''s something to be said for being able to itch your eyes without driving makeup into them lol

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cehra, I really get lazy and figure if I put on lipstick it will just get on my cup or my fork...but I do like lip balms, esp. tinted ones. I hate eating my lipstick or seeing it on a cup.

This is my wish list that is pretty comprehensive, of course I always like jewelry, and there is so much to love out there, but this is what I really hope to collect in life. I would love a great charm bracelet and fun pieces, but I get a bit overwhelmed with all the stuff out there. This is sort of my dream list.

I would like really nice pear drops to hang from my studs, then that would be my dressy earring. You can still wear the studs alone or add the pear.

I would like a more evening type watch (Cartier) in white gold with diamonds, thinner and more dressy looking. I have a nice one now with a satin strap but it does not always match things.

I would like a really nice diamond necklace and bracelet, not matching per se, but that I can wear dressed up on black tie/dressy occasions.

I would like South Sea pearl and diamond earrings (like the Tiffany Vannerie, where 4 marquise diamonds are laid out to look like a flower and the pearl is underneath)

I would like a line bracelet of emerald cut stones that would be for more frequent use.

Those are sort of my dream pieces and I would love to be working on them as time goes by...it would be great to look forward to!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
No DSS here! (granted I''ve only had it for 6 months!) My .57 carat OEC is a perfect size for me. It looks plenty big on my size 7 finger. I love that it''s an original antique and that it''s sparkly and bright even on grey days or in airport bathrooms. I know this doesn''t say much that''s flattering about me, but I also love that it''s bigger than my mother''s original e-ring.

It helps that my fi picked the ring (from several options I gave him) and is very proud of it. I think it''s likely that if I had gotten a modern diamond that I picked without him that I probably would be subject to DSS. The sentimental factor goes a long way.
5.gif

One''s social situation also impacts the onset of DSS. Big diamonds are just not very common with the wives of scientists and computer geeks. (Although if he takes the job at Microsoft that may change!
31.gif
)
But still I love my ring and I''m glad that it''s of a size that I''d never feel uncomfortable wearing it. That''s not to say that I wouldn''t mind an anniversary ring someday, but I''d want something meaningful to wear on my right hand not a bigger diamond.

Writing this makes me realize that I do have one tiny ... not a regret really... but I still love the Niwaka rings. I wish they weren''t so engagment-y as part of me really wishes I had one from my fi. It certainly doesn''t qualify as DSS as the ones I like the best are all 1/3 carats!
23.gif
I wonder if I had gotten one as my e-ring if I''d be as satisfied with it as I am with my antique? Hmmm... the infinity and mobius strip styles could work as an anniversary ring...
31.gif
*heh heh*

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/16/2006 11:44:38 PM
Julian, I am blushing over here..thanks. I really do love my ring and have gotten used to it, if that makes sense. If I have not had it on for a few days, it really jumps at me when I put it on, and I really enjoy it...I truly love jewelry and have been slowly building a nice collection since I got married. I have a few more things I would like to round out my collection and hope I have nice daughter in laws and granddaughters someday to share it all with. Right now, though, it makes me happy so I am glad I can have some of things I want now, while I can really enjoy them fully. And if you saw me, most days it is my sweats, uggs, a t shirt and that is it...and usually no make up either! (though I love to buy it I just cannot be bothered to use it most of the time!)
I''m glad you''re enjoying what you have! But is sounds like you could give me excellent fashion advice. Maybe become my personal shopper? You obviously look good in your casual outfits, they suit you. I need some help selecting things that flatter me. That sounds like the kind of things you''re picking.

Of course I''m dieting right now so no new clothes till Feb or Mar for me. No use buying what will be too big soon! I hope.
9.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/18/2006 11:56:46 AM
Author: IndieJones
No DSS here! (granted I''ve only had it for 6 months!) My .57 carat OEC is a perfect size for me. It looks plenty big on my size 7 finger. I love that it''s an original antique and that it''s sparkly and bright even on grey days or in airport bathrooms. I know this doesn''t say much that''s flattering about me, but I also love that it''s bigger than my mother''s original e-ring.

It helps that my fi picked the ring (from several options I gave him) and is very proud of it. I think it''s likely that if I had gotten a modern diamond that I picked without him that I probably would be subject to DSS. The sentimental factor goes a long way.
5.gif

One''s social situation also impacts the onset of DSS. Big diamonds are just not very common with the wives of scientists and computer geeks. (Although if he takes the job at Microsoft that may change!
31.gif
)
But still I love my ring and I''m glad that it''s of a size that I''d never feel uncomfortable wearing it. That''s not to say that I wouldn''t mind an anniversary ring someday, but I''d want something meaningful to wear on my right hand not a bigger diamond.

Writing this makes me realize that I do have one tiny ... not a regret really... but I still love the Niwaka rings. I wish they weren''t so engagment-y as part of me really wishes I had one from my fi. It certainly doesn''t qualify as DSS as the ones I like the best are all 1/3 carats!
23.gif
I wonder if I had gotten one as my e-ring if I''d be as satisfied with it as I am with my antique? Hmmm... the infinity and mobius strip styles could work as an anniversary ring...
31.gif
*heh heh*
Your stone sounds just lovely. It''s a special cut and I think that makes a difference.

Hey I knew someone who was married to a young scientist that upgraded all the time. Just for size though. Cut just wasn''t of concern to her. Had at least a 2ct MQ last time I saw her.

And I think Cehra and I are both married to scientists. We''ve both upgraded but not to BIG stones. But it depends on what you mean by big we''re both under 3ct. In my case well under. LOL

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 1:51:05 PM
Author: Stone Hunter

And I think Cehra and I are both married to scientists. We''ve both upgraded but not to BIG stones. But it depends on what you mean by big we''re both under 3ct. In my case well under. LOL
I dunno that I consider my husband a scientist LOL He''s too practical and applied. I suppose engineering is an applied science... but to me... like what *I* want to study is more in the realm of scientist. More theoretical - more out there trying to develop theories and prove them. I suppose he develops theories and proves them but he''s so.... I dunno LOL And yeah on PS 3 carat isn''t huge but out there in the real world I think I''m gonna have one of the biggest stones around! I never noticd there weren''t more out there before... I thought there were. But that could be because I grew up in a wealthy area in san jose and spent my formative years around large stones that I just kinda never noticed that here they don''t seem to have any lol except fakes haha. We''re planning to move back to CA in the next couple years and I''m sure there it won''t register as being out of the ordinary except for the unusual cut :)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone, any time! I just lost 12 lbs, I had been really trim and then due to some health issues I could not exercise and the weight piled on. I have been good since Sept and lost a chunk no pun intended, and would like to lose 10 more. We are away for the holidays and I will work out while we''re gone...but I am committed to getting back in the groove in January. I get your point, I have been careful with my clothing choices as I lose, only buying things I know can be altered down. I am happy to give any help I can...I love fashion and all the accessories...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/16/2006 11:20:15 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
The best remedy for avoiding DSS is to not hang out on here!
2.gif
9.gif

Very true. Since life's been so unsettled (and as I don't have my computer in my new place yet) I haven't been on here much at all. And you know what? My obsessing about my asscher, its size, its lack of corners... has all just bled away. I feel so silly now when I look back at some of my posts. Maybe DSS will return when I get the computer set up... and maybe it won't. I just know that the last couple of months have given me some new perspective on my diamond. I am still going to reset. But... well. It's not this urgent driving need in me anymore. That constant hum of dissatisfaction is gone. Since my ring was polished at JE the white gold is starting to turn yellow (which it didn't do the first 4 years I wore it) so the rodium plating has obviously been removed... but now I'm just thinking that I'll get it re-plated and wait until the right setting... one made for a diamond my size ot for a 5 carat asscher that needs to be scaled down and won't look right... comes along. This is the diamond my fiance hunted down accross 4 states for me. And well.. being apart from him for the last 3 months... that's reminded me of the real meaning behind my ring. It's his promise to me. And he has never broken a promise to me. I'm really happy for the distance and the perspective. Just thought I'd share.

ETA: I also I to say that in addition to the lack of PS time another big thing has made in impact on the DSS issue for me. My job. I really like my job and the satisfaction I'm feeling when I am here, has made a huge impact on my self-esteem and my energy level... and on my depression. So I'm not fixating on the negative as much in general. I think that's a HUGE part of it as well.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 1:56:30 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 12/16/2006 11:20:15 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
The best remedy for avoiding DSS is to not hang out on here!
2.gif
9.gif

Very true. Since life''s been so unsettled (and as I don''t have my computer in my new place yet) I haven''t been on here much at all. And you know what? My obsessing about my asscher, its size, its lack of corners... has all just bled away. I feel so silly now when I look back at some of my posts. Maybe DSS will return when I get the computer set up... and maybe it won''t. I just know that the last couple of months have given me some new perspective on my diamond. I am still going to reset. But... well. It''s not this urgent driving need in me anymore. That constant hum of dissatisfaction is gone. Since my ring was polished at JE the white gold is starting to turn yellow (which it didn''t do the first 4 years I wore it) so the rodium plating has obviously been removed... but now I''m just thinking that I''ll get it re-plated and wait until the right setting... one made for a diamond my size ot for a 5 carat asscher that needs to be scaled down and won''t look right... comes along. This is the diamond my fiance hunted down accross 4 states for me. And well.. being apart from him for the last 3 months... that''s reminded me of the real meaning behind my ring. It''s his promise to me. And he has never broken a promise to me. I''m really happy for the distance and the perspective. Just thought I''d share.

ETA: I also I to say that in addition to the lack of PS time another big thing has made in impact on the DSS issue for me. My job. I really like my job and the satisfaction I''m feeling when I am here, has made a huge impact on my self-esteem and my energy level... and on my depression. So I''m not fixating on the negative as much in general. I think that''s a HUGE part of it as well.
Gypsy - I totally hear what you''re saying and I''m very happy for you - I''m glad you love your job, I hope your fiance can come out west soon! I think you''re going back to a place of balance - and that''s wonderful, congratulations!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

While cruising Zales today (yes Zales
11.gif
) I overheard a man talking to a salesclerk about his wife''s diamond ring; his comment was she wanted another diamond ring, and when asked if she just wanted it "restyled" or "another new ring"; he blurted out "oh she wants a bigger diamond--I mean doesn''t EVERY woman????????????"

i THOUGHT OF THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY and hid my left hand.

cheers--Sharon

colorkitty

Shiny_Rock
I have something much worse: the much more jewelry, please, disease.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 2:47:33 PM
Author: Cehrabehra
Gypsy - I totally hear what you''re saying and I''m very happy for you - I''m glad you love your job, I hope your fiance can come out west soon! I think you''re going back to a place of balance - and that''s wonderful, congratulations!
Thank you Cehra! I think you are right, I am getting back to place of balance and harmony in my life... and it''s really quite nice.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 6:35:54 PM
Author: colorkitty
I have something much worse: the much more jewelry, please, disease.
I have that one too Colorkitty!!! I am pretty much at peace with the three stone ring that I received at my last upgrade, but there is SO MUCH more jewelry out there that I want to own.
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suffer from DSS. I am laughing because I thought this thread was about some mental disorder or something!!!! I guess now to think of it it may be a mental syndrome. heee heee

Well I am dreaming up of how I can upgrade from a 1.51 to a 2 carat. I am glad others are as nutty as me
36.gif
36.gif

p.s. I am married to computer engineer.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 6:20:16 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

11.gif
) I overheard a man talking to a salesclerk about his wife''s diamond ring; his comment was she wanted another diamond ring, and when asked if she just wanted it ''restyled'' or ''another new ring''; he blurted out ''oh she wants a bigger diamond--I mean doesn''t EVERY woman????????????''

cheers--Sharon
bahahahaha - I was thinking the other day - I have this plan that in order to be modest or whatever I plan to cover the stone with my right hand as needed and then I realized hey, I''m gonna get it all mussed up and then if I''m forced to show someone it''ll be all icky LOL I''m gonna have to make a choice lol

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I too have the overall more generalized JAS...Jewelry Acquisition Syndrome...it covers everything from watches to earrings...I am always admiring bling and plotting...
2.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 8:37:26 AM
I too have the overall more generalized JAS...Jewelry Acquisition Syndrome...it covers everything from watches to earrings...I am always admiring bling and plotting...
2.gif
i think the "wanting" is more fun than the "having", hence my desire to always have a layaway going...

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
That can be true, sometimes once you have it in hand, it is not as exciting...though I have really been happy with my recent gifts...though there will always be things I love, I am sure...

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/14/2006 5:35:10 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 12/13/2006 9:59:18 PM
Author: kenny
Lynn you don't live in rural PA.

You live here with us, on Pricescope!
35.gif
OHMYWORD, Kenny! ROFLMHO!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Yes, ROTFL! We the people of rural PA who have 2ct don't live here. We hide from the criminals, LOL! My aunt had a 5ct antique RB. She never wore it anywhere but around the house.

Q: How do people of rural PA make a living?

A: They steal from each other.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 11:11:25 AM
Author: AdaBeta27

Yes, ROTFL! We the people of rural PA who have 2ct don''t live here. We hide from the criminals, LOL! My aunt had a 5ct antique RB. She never wore it anywhere but around the house.

33.gif
33.gif
33.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/19/2006 6:20:16 PM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

11.gif
) I overheard a man talking to a salesclerk about his wife''s diamond ring; his comment was she wanted another diamond ring, and when asked if she just wanted it ''restyled'' or ''another new ring''; he blurted out ''oh she wants a bigger diamond--I mean doesn''t EVERY woman????????????''

cheers--Sharon
I thought of this post yeseterday at costco when I was looking at some rings hehehe and these two women came up and one was saying "there was a 38 thousand dollar ring in here!" and they started looking around but couldn''t find one so I pointed to a 31k ring and they both went oooh and ahhh and then one said, "yeah but if I''m going to spend that kind of money on a ring I want to be able to say I got it somewhere other than costco!" lol

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I ever came down with DSS, someone needs to take me out back and give me a good @ss-whuppin''! Thankfully no, I haven''t experienced it. But, my stone now looks more "normal" to my eyes, whereas when I first got it, I was too mortified to wear it outside of the house, it was so ginormous!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2006 11:11:25 AM
Author: AdaBeta27

Date: 12/14/2006 5:35:10 PM
Author: Lynn B

Date: 12/13/2006 9:59:18 PM
Author: kenny
Lynn you don''t live in rural PA.

You live here with us, on Pricescope!
35.gif
OHMYWORD, Kenny! ROFLMHO!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Yes, ROTFL! We the people of rural PA who have 2ct don''t live here. We hide from the criminals, LOL! My aunt had a 5ct antique RB. She never wore it anywhere but around the house.

huh? the term "rural pa" makes me think of the amish!

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
PS is the cause of my DSS. but i can''t blame you guys, it probably would''ve happened anyway. it''s in my blood.
9.gif

my cousin upgraded her 0.78ct to a 1.18ct and still had DSS, only minutes after the diamond was set and on her finger and she never set foot on PS and she is the ultra conservative and frugal type. so glad to know it affects regular peeps too.

i''m at peace knowing my DSS won''t ever go away. although i know i have to FORCE myself to not upgrade later on. but of course only after i get my 2.ish stone. hee.
9.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kristy...we knew that would occur...your eyes sort of get accustomed to the largeness and it is not soooooo large anymore...I am suffering from that a bit too, my ring just looks like the right size on my finger, and I wear it and do not think a lot about it whereas when I got it I almost never put it on...YIKES it happens no matter what, that is frightening!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
hehe - I have to say its comforting to know that those of you with very large stones were overwhelmed by them when you got them LOL I felt that way just over mine but I think I''m okay with it now even though I don''t have it set yet.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results