shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone know much about gems cut by Richard Homer?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am about to view a gem cut by Richard Homer with Concave Gems and wondering if anyone knows or has seen his work?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never purchased anything from him, but he charges a huge premium for his cutting, as I find his stones extremely expensive. I've never been hugely impressed by what I've seen posted here from him, but he's supposedly the "king of concave cutting." I prefer other lapidaries more since I think they have equivalent quality material (from what I've seen in photos) and they are more reasonably priced, and just as talented IMHO.

I think John Dyer is a lapidary that does fantastic unique cuts, and I can understand more why he charges a huge premium on his stones, as his lapidary skills are truly artwork.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1303531615|2903175 said:
I have never purchased anything from him, but he charges a huge premium for his cutting, as I find his stones extremely expensive. I've never been hugely impressed by what I've seen posted here from him, but he's supposedly the "king of concave cutting." I prefer other lapidaries more since I think they have equivalent quality material (from what I've seen in photos) and they are more reasonably priced, and just as talented IMHO.

I think John Dyer is a lapidary that does fantastic unique cuts, and I can understand more why he charges a huge premium on his stones, as his lapidary skills are truly artwork.
Thanks for your reply. The stone that I am to view is a 2.44 hessonite garnet which is priced over $500.00. Would this be reasonable or overpriced?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1303532107|2903183 said:

Thanks for your reply. The stone that I am to view is a 2.44 hessonite garnet which is priced over $500.00. Would this be reasonable or overpriced?

Incredibly overpriced. Sorry. Hessonites tend to be reddish brown (cinnamon), and sell for little per carat. They're not as rare and valuable as some other garnets. You're paying mostly for his cutting in this case.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1303532193|2903185 said:
bright ice|1303532107|2903183 said:

Incredibly overpriced. Sorry.
Thanks, I will continue to look. Any suggestions as to where to look? I don't have to have a specific gem, just need about a 8.5-9mm round stone to fit into a current setting that I have.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there any reason you want a reddish brown one other than it's a round and fits in a setting? Do you have any other colors you would prefer?

Barry of acstones.com is a talented lapidary that cuts lots of rounds.

There's also precisiongem.com, gemrite.com, gemfix.com, and many others I can't name for lack of a poor memory, but I'm sure others will be of help.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1303532542|2903189 said:
Is there any reason you want a reddish brown one other than it's a round and fits in a setting? Do you have any other colors you would prefer?

Barry of acstones.com is a talented lapidary that cuts lots of rounds.

There's also precisiongem.com, gemrite.com, gemfix.com, and many others I can't name for lack of a poor memory, but I'm sure others will be of help.
I have a rose gold setting with 2 .50 N color diamonds that needs a round stone. Just needs to look good with the rose gold.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I love rose gold, and I think just about any color looks good in rose gold, except reds and hot pinks. I love violet, green, blue, purple, greenish yellow, in rose gold.

Here's a 9mm amethyst from a reputable seller, and I love amethyst in rose gold.

This is from one of the prime locations for beautiful material in the world.

http://diamondexpert.com/diamonds/d...i&active=active&stock=AM00248&submit_search=1

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1303533521|2903195 said:
Well, I love rose gold, and I think just about any color looks good in rose gold, except reds and hot pinks. I love violet, green, blue, purple, greenish yellow, in rose gold.

Here's a 9mm amethyst from a reputable seller, and I love amethyst in rose gold.

http://diamondexpert.com/diamonds/d...i&active=active&stock=AM00248&submit_search=1
Thanks but I have an amethyst already. Prefer something else I just don't know for sure what.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bright ice|1303534100|2903199 said:

Thanks but I have an amethyst already. Prefer something else I just don't know for sure what.

Check out those sites I sent you, and there is a preferred vendor list at the top of this forum, but it needs a lot of updating. I'm sure others might chime in as well.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1303534214|2903201 said:
bright ice|1303534100|2903199 said:

Check out those sites I sent you, and there is a preferred vendor list at the top of this forum, but it needs a lot of updating. I'm sure others might chime in as well.
What about a tourmaline. I need something hard enough to stand up to daily wear. John Dyer has some gorgeous stones and they are pricey.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
While John Dyer has some great cuts, I don't think all his stones have the best color, and I'm not impressed with the color on that rhodolite. It's too brownish red, and fine rhodolites are a lighter toned purplish pink with good saturation. In the case of that gem, I think 90% of the price is in the cutting. Tourmaline is nice, but pinks and blues can be irradiated.

If you want something to stand up to daily wear, then I wouldn't recommend garnets or tourmaline, unless you're super careful, and even then you could chip them. I would recommend spinels, chrysoberyls, sapphires (although they are treated), and diamond (pricey in 9mm though).

What is your budget?

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1303535166|2903214 said:
While John Dyer has some great cuts, I don't think all his stones have the best color, and I'm not impressed with the color on that rhodolite. It's too brownish red, and fine rhodolites are a lighter toned purplish pink with good saturation. In the case of that gem, I think 90% of the price is in the cutting. Tourmaline is nice, but pinks and blues can be irradiated.

If you want something to stand up to daily wear, then I wouldn't recommend garnets or tourmaline, unless you're super careful, and even then you could chip them. I would recommend spinels, chrysoberyls, sapphires (although they are treated), and diamond (pricey in 9mm though).

What is your budget?[/qu
Really would like to stay under $700.00. A spinel or chrysoberyl would be great.

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
I checked the amethyst from that link.. It's too dark & seem to have a window. Not worthy of $200+ IMO...

Barry has a nice minty green tourmaline (only 8mm though) I'm sure it'll look pretty in RG setting ;))

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Are you looking for a concave cut specifically?

Yes, as TL has said, there Richard Homer does charge a premium for his cutting. Keep in mind though, what's reasonale to one is unreasonable to another--like TL, I also would not pay $500 for a 2 carat hessonite. Others may though, it just depends on what you're after. I'm willing to spend a lot on a small emerald, whereas others might prefer to have a different, larger green gem for the same price. It really depends on what you like, and what's important to you, in terms of color, treatment, cut, and price.

Speaking of RH though, Flygirl has a pair of stunning RH rubies and BEG has a gorgeous RH blue sapphire that you might want to take a look at.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blithesome71|1303540284|2903237 said:
I checked the amethyst from that link.. It's too dark & seem to have a window. Not worthy of $200+ IMO...

Barry has a nice minty green tourmaline (only 8mm though) I'm sure it'll look pretty in RG setting ;))

Yes, those four peaks amethysts photograph really bad, but they're much nicer in person.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1303542468|2903245 said:

Yes, as TL has said, there Richard Homer does charge a premium for his cutting. Keep in mind though, what's reasonale to one is unreasonable to another--like TL, I also would not pay $500 for a 2 carat hessonite. Others may though, it just depends on what you're after. I'm willing to spend a lot on a small emerald, whereas others might prefer to have a different, larger green gem for the same price. It really depends on what you like, and what's important to you, in terms of color, treatment, cut, and price.

Speaking of RH though, Flygirl has a pair of stunning RH rubies and BEG has a gorgeous RH blue sapphire that you might want to take a look at.

My problem is that I hate paying huge premiums for cutting, and hessonites, unlike nice emeralds, are worth very little per carat normally. However, if you love concave cutting and you want Richard Homer, then you will have to pay a high price per carat for any species of stone it seems. I like Barry and Gene, since while they cut beautifully, I don't think they charge a high premium for their cutting. JMO.

Jeff White is mid-range for his cutting. While he charges a higher price for his cutting than Barry and Gene (for similar material), I think he's not as high as Richard Homer or John Dyer. You may want to check him out too at whitesgems.com. He does custom cutting if you ask for specific material, but he does charge a non-refundable fee for doing so (last I checked).

I assume precision cutting is very important to you, as you are looking specifically for precision cut stones. However, there are some dealers that sell native cuts, and they're very well priced, although the cutting is not perfect. Since you're on a budget, I thought I'd mention that.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1303562675|2903304 said:
IndyLady|1303542468|2903245 said:

My problem is that I hate paying huge premiums for cutting, and hessonites, unlike nice emeralds, are worth very little per carat normally. However, if you love concave cutting and you want Richard Homer, then you will have to pay a high price per carat for any species of stone it seems. I like Barry and Gene, since while they cut beautifully, I don't think they charge a high premium for their cutting. JMO.

Jeff White is mid-range for his cutting. While he charges a higher price for his cutting than Barry and Gene (for similar material), I think he's not as high as Richard Homer or John Dyer. You may want to check him out too at whitesgems.com. He does custom cutting if you ask for specific material, but he does charge a non-refundable fee for doing so (last I checked).

I assume precision cutting is very important to you, as you are looking specifically for precision cut stones. However, there are some dealers that sell native cuts, and they're very well priced, although the cutting is not perfect. Since you're on a budget, I thought I'd mention that.
I think I will certainly give a shout to Jeff White as I am certainly looking for a precision cut stone. I have too much invested in the setting and side stones to put a piece of junk in it.
Thanks you guys.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some beautiful colored native cut stones, as there are awful colored precision cut stones. Therefore, do not assume a gem has a high quality of color just because it is precision cut. As with anything, there are many variables that make for a beautiful gem. :)) There are some very well done native cuts too, it's just that the facet meets may not be perfect. I've seen some precision facetors that do a terrible job as well, as they don't get the proportions quite right. I've even seen precision cut gems with windows or cut way too deep (giving too much extinction). Jeff White, Barry Bridgestock and Gene Flanigan do a nice job on cutting however.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I have a Richard Homer stone :wavey:

Here's the link; [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-richard-homer-is-here.145477/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-richard-homer-is-here.145477/[/URL]

I think it was worth every penny. IMHO I don't think you can look at one of his stones as only the sum of the material, because it is art. If that were true, an artist's work would sell at only a slight markup over the price of canvas and paint. My stone is only a citrine, but it is art and TRANSCENDS the material. If we are talking only about the material, this citrine is one of the nicest, most vivid and saturated citrines I've ever seen. I believe he only buys premium top-level rough regardless of the stone type.

But you're not paying only for the rough. The polish on the cut is phenomenal, the execution is perfect on the symmetry and the level of detail is amazing. The intensity of color that he gets out of his stones is remarkable. You're paying for the art of piece.

Interestingly, I have another concave citrine, which I paid $75 for, cut by an anonymous cutter somewhere. It's not even 5% as nice. The work is slightly uneven, which effects the way the color is distributed, the polish is just a normal polish, not spectacular, and the material is pale. It's nice, and I like it, but it's not a big thrill now that I have the Homer. I wear the Homer about 2-3 times per week and I really enjoy it. I haven't set the other one yet, and probably won't.

I think you should order it and judge for yourself. Like all cutters, you can't REALLY see what's going on from the website photos. IMHO his stones are even nicer in RL. You should evaluate it in hand. If you don't like it you can return it and he's really easy to work with. I am really happy with mine. :appl:

ETA; I look at a lot of stones, and I get tired of seeing basically the same cuts everywhere. Homer pioneered concave cutting, and it's a nice change from the standard rounds. I think you're right to be drawn to something a bit more unique.

If you search "Homer" at the top of the CS forum, I think you'll find the threads of a few of his other happy customers.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILander,
Your stone is very pretty. For me, I can't fathom paying over 90% of the value of a stone in the cutting. I collect colored gems, and for me, color is king, as well as rarity and treatment status, and if it's nicely cut, that's a great bonus. However, I do understand that for some people, cutting is very important, and in the case of Richard Homer's pieces, you are not just buying a colored gem, but a work of art. I guess I have to get past that.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TL: If it helps any, the pictures on his website are accurate for color. I like the intensity of color in his stones, I think that's what he's going for. And that is what I personally like. Some colors may be better than others, I think a couple of his aquas are boring compared to some of the aqua colors I've seen from Dana.

For what it's worth, I think my citrine is one of the best colored citrines I've ever seen. I haven't seen a lot of them, though, so maybe there's better out there. It's very intensely mid-tone orange with no pale areas or uneven areas, no yellow or washed out sections. But again, I don't have a ton of citrine experience.

But I am a sucker for a unique cut, I do admit that. For example, I would never pay more than a couple of hundred for amethyst. But I would gladly pay $1200 for Andrew Gulij's Stellar cut (if it were smaller, geez, 22mm is too big for even me ;)) ). I luvz me a wild cut. :cheeky:

http://www.gemfix.com/gem_intrusion_4.html

If I can't have a unique cut, then I NEED a vivid and bright color. I really only have a handful of colored stones, because for me, it has to be one or the other. My DH says I'm a tough audience, when he sees me wrapping up yet another stone to return. I don't like "medium" in a color, I want intense, vivid and saturated. I think you and I are the same on that, TL.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILander,
Thanks for the subjective review of RH. I appreciate that while he has nicely cut gems, neither RH nor any vendor has 100% perfect color gems, even if they are expensive. I guess my big gripe with some precision facetors is that they overcharge just on a great cut, with very poor or medicore color. I have seen others overcharge on other variables as well, like clarity, so it's not just cutting. I find some of my favorite vendors to have good buys and IMO, some overpriced material as well. As always, it's important to be an informed consumer. :))

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Yes, TL, I must agree 4-peaks material is hard as heck to photo.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i have seen concave cuts by others cutters.....and i have seen one homer cut concave stone.

there is no comparison. if i wanted a concave cut stone, i'd only buy from richard homer.

yes, there is a premium for his stones. is it worth it? only you can decide.

some do not think paying a premium for cut is worth it. in this case, if one must have a concave cut stone, it is worth it, imo.

MoZo

eta: personally, i also think that richard homer uses a higher quality of color stone than most other concave cutters. having said that, the buyer needs to be educated as to what constitutes a good color stone for whatever type s/he is contemplating buying.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so glad that TL said what she did about Richard Homer's gemstones. I too find him grossly over-priced. I know people love his concave cuts but they honestly just don't rock my world. Glad you're looking elsewhere.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
TL|1303574719|2903391 said:
ILander,
Thanks for the subjective review of RH. I appreciate that while he has nicely cut gems, neither RH nor any vendor has 100% perfect color gems, even if they are expensive. I guess my big gripe with some precision facetors is that they overcharge just on a great cut, with very poor or medicore color. I have seen others overcharge on other variables as well, like clarity, so it's not just cutting. I find some of my favorite vendors to have good buys and IMO, some overpriced material as well. As always, it's important to be an informed consumer. :))

Totally agree. If they did, I don't think you and I would have had to return all those stones, right? Sigh . . .

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
LovingDiamonds|1303588764|2903528 said:
I'm so glad that TL said what she did about Richard Homer's gemstones. I too find him grossly over-priced. I know people love his concave cuts but they honestly just don't rock my world. Glad you're looking elsewhere.
Could not have said it better myself.

I do however covet a Topaz Snowflake from RH. But I'm not buying a $100 gemstone for $700+

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results