shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone know if MMDs have impacted moissanite supply or prices?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pre LB when everyone here was guessing what impact MMD would have on the jewelry universe a few PSers speculated that they wouldn’t have much of an impact on mined diamond customers, but would really appeal to moissy customers and demand/prices for moissy would go down. Diamond prices and sales data are published periodically, but I don’t know of any moissy stats. Just curious, does anyone know how LB, etc are impacting the moissy jewelry biz? Any real life testimonials here? If you’ve bought moissy in the past are you still buying or have you converted your spend to MMD?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Moissanite prices can only fall because the patents have all expired. They will always cost more than CZ, but expect them to be 10's not thousands of dollars.
LGD production is still very small - I see numbers like 6% of natural. Not sure that means 18% by weight or 2% by value????

maisie2

Shiny_Rock
I can’t answer all of your questions, but I do have a related experience that will hopefully be somewhat helpful and answer one of your questions.

I had been considering moissanite for a new ring I wanted made. After getting quotes from a few vendors, I was ready to make the purchase through one of them.

Right before placing the order for the Moissanite ring, on a whim, I decided to look at some LGDs of similar size and discovered that the prices were much more reasonable than I originally thought. I ended up going with LGD. It cost about 2.5x to 3x as much to go with the same size LGD in the same style ring, but to me the price difference was minimal enough to be worth it since my intention was always to eventually upgrade to a diamond anyways.

I will say that moissanite itself seems to be quite cheap, depending on the vendor. Charles & Colvard will always be the most expensive option, of course. The expense seems to be more in the setting than the actual moissanite. Not sure if this has anything to do with LGD prices. I’ve also noticed that many of the people in a moissanite group I’m part of seem to be starting to lean towards LGD as well due to the fairly minimal price difference.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have bought moissanite a few times, the last ring I had was my favorite but still got that light grey plastic look to it in some lights. Was planning on an OEC moissanite from Moco or an August Vintage because it would allow me to get the size I wanted without spending thousands on a diamond. Plus AV in particular is known for looking very diamond like, the best of the best if you will.

I literally just got a lab diamond from Distinctive yesterday, going forward I won’t be buying moissanite, it doesn’t make financial sense for me when I could spend a little more and not have to worry about it ever getting that unnatural look.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I think there will still be a market for moissanite, specifically in large fancy shapes that aren't widely available in MMD. A quick look at one at a few moissanite websites (The True Gem, East West Co) tells me that MMDs have not caused them to lower their prices. In fact, they look higher than they were a year or two ago.

I'm pretty firmly in the MMD camp now as the stone sizes I want are within financial reach. I have always loved diamonds, but could never justify the cost. Now I can.

FutureChocolateMLK

Brilliant_Rock
I can’t answer all of your questions, but I do have a related experience that will hopefully be somewhat helpful and answer one of your questions.

I had been considering moissanite for a new ring I wanted made. After getting quotes from a few vendors, I was ready to make the purchase through one of them.

Right before placing the order for the Moissanite ring, on a whim, I decided to look at some LGDs of similar size and discovered that the prices were much more reasonable than I originally thought. I ended up going with LGD. It cost about 2.5x to 3x as much to go with the same size LGD in the same style ring, but to me the price difference was minimal enough to be worth it since my intention was always to eventually upgrade to a diamond anyways.

I will say that moissanite itself seems to be quite cheap, depending on the vendor. Charles & Colvard will always be the most expensive option, of course. The expense seems to be more in the setting than the actual moissanite. Not sure if this has anything to do with LGD prices. I’ve also noticed that many of the people in a moissanite group I’m part of seem to be starting to lean towards LGD as well due to the fairly minimal price difference.

This!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got a 5 ct moissanite eternity in 10kt gold that looks just like my WF band for $410.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m soon venturing into the LGB market (I admit I won’t be able to resist too much longer), but I do still enjoy the variety of cuts I can enjoy in moissy, in the size I need for my old fingers and eyes, without the larger outlay of cash.
I love my 2ct AVR and AVC moissies that I own and I’d likely not buy multiple boutique cuts, even in LGD, because I’m somewhat thrifty. :lol:

ETA to answer your question, I haven’t seen a decrease in the cost of specialty cuts in Moissy at all.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I agree with others in that I prefer LGD over moissy because I don’t know if the new moissies are going to get that plastic-y look like the old ones did. The moissy sellers say no but only time will tell.

However, the double refraction is cool if you are going for that look. Also, I am not sure yet, but think I might like grey moissy more than grey spinel or grey diamond.

I like sphene but there aren’t a lot of colorless sphene (I have seen one near-colorless in real life). Plus sphene is soft for daily wear. So moissy will probably have a place in my collection…. I’m just waiting to see what the prices do and what the long term quality is.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I agree with others in that I prefer LGD over moissy because I don’t know if the new moissies are going to get that plastic-y look like the old ones did. The moissy sellers say no but only time will tell.

However, the double refraction is cool if you are going for that look. Also, I am not sure yet, but think I might like grey moissy more than grey spinel or grey diamond.

I like sphene but there aren’t a lot of colorless sphene (I have seen one near-colorless in real life). Plus sphene is soft for daily wear. So moissy will probably have a place in my collection…. I’m just waiting to see what the prices do and what the long term quality is.

Why not then also consider natural colorless zircon?

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
i used to buy moissanite when I was a student. Diamonds - natural or man made are still the most beautiful for me.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds amazing. Do you have a thread on it?
I just got a 5 ct moissanite eternity in 10kt gold that looks just like my WF band for $410.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Didn’t know there was such a thing as colorless sphene. Do you have a thread on your sphene collection? They are so beautiful and I rarely see them.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My contact who works for the bench in China that I use had mentioned that the price of Moissanite had dropped significantly in the last couple of years or so, whether that has anything to do with lab/MMD stones being more affordable I do not know.

DK :))

swaye2010

Brilliant_Rock
Moissanite does continue to drop in price but it is still a very popular. There are some people that have left it for lab diamond’s but it is surprisingly few on the two subs I moderate on Reddit. If anything, the moissanite sub is still hopping for people that are just entering the jewelry market or for the serial purchaser’s that like variety. We still get over a million page views a month so I don’t think MMD will be replacing them any time soon. There would have to be a further drop in the price of MMD’s and a much larger available supply.

We also attract a lot more people from around the world. Moissanite’s have a 4-5 year head start and online shops are popping up in other countries where it is gaining popularity. MMD’s from LG are only available for purchase in the US right now. They can’t even meet demand for their larger sizes. The return process is cumbersome for people ordering outside the US and they don’t want to tie up thousand’s of dollar’s on something they can’t see in person. Moissanite is still cheap enough to take some risk with. It is also pretty easy to resell off of our resale sites. I am sure the prices will continue to drop but there is still a space for both of them to exist for the foreseeable future.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'm a big Moissanite lover. I am also a price shopper. My latest project included price quotes from alibaba vendors, Etsy vendors, and several no name vendors from indiamart. I received prices as high as $3500 and as low as $800 for the same exact specifications. Needless to say, I went with the $800 option. For several reasons. 1. I had used this same vendor with excellent results many times before and 2. their platform/custom process was easy and I was familiar with it. Although the stone is the same and produced by many different vendors, not all are cut or created equal.

The $3500 price came out to about $500 a carat [still WAY too much for moissanite] considering lab grown are being sold for $800 a carat by lightbox but I cannot get a 7 carat stone from them for $800 a carat. I thought that was ridiculous personally. Considering these stones were $25 on ebay a few years ago and have gone up in price because of demand and popularity. The only reason I used Moissaniteco for my wedding ring was because they were more well known than the smaller vendors and my inspiration ring was originally created by them. So I was willing to pay more for the name. Otherwise no-I would not have done it. I'd rather keep the money in the bank for other projects. But I will continue purchasing moissanite unless the MMD or diamond is used. I won't pay retail for anything.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds amazing. Do you have a thread on it?

No, I am out of town but I got it from Star Moissanite in Ny on Etsy.

lindam1503

Shiny_Rock
Moissanite does continue to drop in price but it is still a very popular. There are some people that have left it for lab diamond’s but it is surprisingly few on the two subs I moderate on Reddit. If anything, the moissanite sub is still hopping for people that are just entering the jewelry market or for the serial purchaser’s that like variety. We still get over a million page views a month so I don’t think MMD will be replacing them any time soon. There would have to be a further drop in the price of MMD’s and a much larger available supply.

We also attract a lot more people from around the world. Moissanite’s have a 4-5 year head start and online shops are popping up in other countries where it is gaining popularity. MMD’s from LG are only available for purchase in the US right now. They can’t even meet demand for their larger sizes. The return process is cumbersome for people ordering outside the US and they don’t want to tie up thousand’s of dollar’s on something they can’t see in person. Moissanite is still cheap enough to take some risk with. It is also pretty easy to resell off of our resale sites. I am sure the prices will continue to drop but there is still a space for both of them to exist for the foreseeable future.

Great question and great response! I do find I have moved from moissanite to man-made diamond, (aka lab diamond), BUT I keep my moissanite studs and one solitaire ring :). There's room in my jewelry box for my moissanite, lab diamonds, and mined diamonds.
Very pleasing to read that prices are dropping for mined diamond alternatives :).

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Didn’t know there was such a thing as colorless sphene. Do you have a thread on your sphene collection? They are so beautiful and I rarely see them.

Sorry, just saw your reply.

The one near-colorless I saw in real life was nearly 3 carat diamond equivalent. It faced up warm white.

Mine are light but not near-colorless. Actually they look a lot like some of the M and lower color diamonds people post here, except with double refraction and green undertones in addition to yellow and brown. In certain light they look light and in other light they are obviously green.

E568E184-29C5-40C5-B3B5-C4AA57B0C7B7.jpeg

53755EBA-7AEB-4F4C-BE12-A8B840708198.jpeg

Here are some of my green “gems.” Top three are sphene, bottom is moissanite. The tsavorite, peridot, and moldavite are all in the cheap-but-fun category — no clue if they are real. But the sphene came from a trusted jeweler.

107BB723-7727-43DF-A442-8B168049709E.jpeg

ETA: The fourth light colored sphene of the bunch was set in a pendant. Again, surrounding gems are of unknown origin — they have sentimental value.

46F2AE05-AAD4-4A58-9C5F-DAE06DB83532.jpeg

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results