shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone interested in a genuine Tiffany 6-prong setting w/o stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
for some reason that setting doesn''t look like the real thing to me. maybe it''s the angle of the picture. Who removes a tiffany stone out of a tiffany setting for a pendant devaluing the entire piece? I''d proceed with caution. way to many scams and knockoffs out there to even risk it IMO.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2008 7:26:38 AM
Author: mrssalvo
for some reason that setting doesn''t look like the real thing to me. maybe it''s the angle of the picture. Who removes a tiffany stone out of a tiffany setting for a pendant devaluing the entire piece? I''d proceed with caution. way to many scams and knockoffs out there to even risk it IMO.
Yeah, the pic of it sitting in the box looks a bit off...and I thought the same thing...why would you do that? It could very well be the real deal, though...who knows.

saltymuffin

Shiny_Rock
I could see someone removing the stone for a pendant after a relationship breakdown or something. No longer want the ring, but happy to re-use the stone. But, I am not saying that I would trust an ebay Tiffany listing. Tiffany items seem to be very popular among ebay scam artists.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This seller has over 200 ratings and a 100% positive score - no one on Ebay would want to mess that up by being deceptive. If it turns out not to be the real deal they''d more than likely take it back - a negative score is death to an eBay seller. I must confess that while I''ve bought a TON of stuff on Ebay I''ve never bought jewelry, but sellers live and die by their rating. If someone is interested in the piece e-mail the seller to see a copy of the certificate or other pics of the ring etc.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
You guys have very good reasoning.

I thought, what the heck!!!! Why remove the diamond but different strokes.

And yeah the pics look off...they are willing to include the cert.

The price tag seems a bit high, no? I mean the prongs could be totally mangled - who removed the diamond?

Probably not Tiffany or maybe?

Just a strange listing all the way around.
33.gif

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2008 12:42:26 PM
Author: lisa1.01fvs1
You guys have very good reasoning.

I thought, what the heck!!!! Why remove the diamond but different strokes.

And yeah the pics look off...they are willing to include the cert.

The price tag seems a bit high, no? I mean the prongs could be totally mangled - who removed the diamond?

Probably not Tiffany or maybe?

Just a strange listing all the way around.
33.gif
Yeah, I know that the price of platinum is up, but it does seem rather expensive. The second picture (the one you posted) looks like it is a scanned picture of a newspaper, lol. Yes, that picture looks like an authentic Tiffany...I am talking about the other pic. And as for not wanting to screw up your ebay FB...I am not saying that the seller is intentionally trying to scam anyone, but depending on how they came across the ring (whether it was theirs to begin with or an estate piece), that would be my question.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I know that the price of platinum is up, but it does seem rather expensive. The second picture (the one you posted) looks like it is a scanned picture of a newspaper, lol. Yes, that picture looks like an authentic Tiffany...I am talking about the other pic. And as for not wanting to screw up your ebay FB...I am not saying that the seller is intentionally trying to scam anyone, but depending on how they came across the ring (whether it was theirs to begin with or an estate piece), that would be my question.

OK I''m a dufas what does this mean? (I know I need to get myself into this century with the lingo).

And while I''m at it what is ETA?

Thanks!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
FB = feedback, I''m guessing?
ETA= edited to add

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Gwendolyn,

You always come to someone''s rescue
9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 1:13:04 PM
Thanks Gwendolyn,

You always come to someone''s rescue
9.gif
LOL, that''s me, Superhero Gwen! *whooshes out of the thread again*
3.gif
9.gif

mijamajasky

Rough_Rock
Hi there! I actually checked that out and emailed the seller...apparently it is a vey hot item with a high amount of people watching it...the seller did offer something else if i was interested but not in auction...

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Mijamasky - what did they offer????

Dying to know.

mijamajasky

Rough_Rock
no not yet...waiting to hear back...BUT i checked out their other feedback and the seller seems to sell alot of coach bags and organizers...kinda gives me the ripoff vibe...

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 7:26:38 AM
Couldn''t she have taken the stone out to make a pendant at Tiffany''s? I know that they do re-use their own stones to create a different piece of jewelry upon request. The ring looks pretty real to me. I matched it up with my own ring, and the only part that is different is the inner script, which looks like it''s from the late 1990s/early 2000s, the slightly thicker prongs (which can happen, I suppose, since the top angles for the all-important prongs are correct, or may appear to be so because of the stone size ratio), and the little knob where the basket meets the ring is just a little bigger in the picture.

My question is, where''s the "after" picture? It should look pretty ugly with the stone out of it, and from my experience, the prongs were cut off clean. Anyone who wants to bid, ask for a picture of the ring after the stone was removed! Also, she should have work orders from Tiffany''s if she had her pendant made there, which would then totally make sense for me.

mijamajasky

Rough_Rock
good points to consider! I thought the ring had a cz in it..i asked for other pictures. and closeup shot of the prongs...doesn''t have any

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 4:13:21 PM
Author: mijamajasky
good points to consider! I thought the ring had a cz in it..i asked for other pictures. and closeup shot of the prongs...doesn''t have any

she wants you to drop $1000 on a setting and she can''t dig up a digital camera or cell phone to take a picture? Thanks, but not thanks...

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2008 1:08:30 PM

OK I''m a dufas what does this mean? (I know I need to get myself into this century with the lingo).

And while I''m at it what is ETA?

Thanks!
Lol...yes, I meant feedback...FB was so much quicker to type...call me lazy!

onvacation

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 5:23:51 PM
Author: sna77

Date: 2/27/2008 4:13:21 PM
Author: mijamajasky

she wants you to drop $1000 on a setting and she can''t dig up a digital camera or cell phone to take a picture? Thanks, but not thanks...
Ditto. If she doesn''t have any, she should take some!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Yeah....I''d definitely pass on this one.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
also, check out her other auctions... in the last 90 days, she has sold 1 item:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330205059309

here''s the description:
Classic Tiffany & Co Lucida type platinum wedding band. 6mm wide., comfort fit Guaranteed 950 plat as inscribed in the ring. Suitable for him or her. In mint condition. Comes in box. Matching engagement mount available if interested to fit diamond size 1.30 -1.50

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks genuine. She could have had Tiffany take out the stone and make a pendant for her. That is possible. However, I would be happier seeing the "after" pictures of the setting to see how those prongs look and if they got damaged during the removal. Her listing is quite incomplete w/o those photos.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 9:04:40 PM
Author: Beacon
I think it looks genuine. She could have had Tiffany take out the stone and make a pendant for her. That is possible. However, I would be happier seeing the ''after'' pictures of the setting to see how those prongs look and if they got damaged during the removal. Her listing is quite incomplete w/o those photos.

would tiffany let you keep the setting empty though? i would think they would be concerned someone would put another stone in it and try to pass the whole ring as a genuine tiffany ring and surely Tiffany wouldn''t want to do that. I''m not familar with tiffany policy''s at all but the whole thing seems odd to me. I don''t care that the seller has 100% feedback. people can have 200 positive transactions and take the risk on the scam, get booted from email and sign up again under another user name, build up the positives again etc. I agee the listing is incomplete, pictures of the current ring/after photo''s would be a must.

goldenstar

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2008 9:34:05 PM
Date: 2/27/2008 9:04:40 PM

Author: Beacon

I think it looks genuine. She could have had Tiffany take out the stone and make a pendant for her. That is possible. However, I would be happier seeing the 'after' pictures of the setting to see how those prongs look and if they got damaged during the removal. Her listing is quite incomplete w/o those photos.

would tiffany let you keep the setting empty though? i would think they would be concerned someone would put another stone in it and try to pass the whole ring as a genuine tiffany ring and surely Tiffany wouldn't want to do that. I'm not familar with tiffany policy's at all but the whole thing seems odd to me. I don't care that the seller has 100% feedback. people can have 200 positive transactions and take the risk on the scam, get booted from email and sign up again under another user name, build up the positives again etc. I agee the listing is incomplete, pictures of the current ring/after photo's would be a must.

I agree. I highly doubt Tiffany's would let someone keep an empty setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results