shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone heard of (ordered from)...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
http://www.supershinegems.net/index.php

Ran into photos of some nice sapphires there, several photos provided with each gemstone, treatment disclosure...some of you might be interested. I know it doesen''t sound like a reputable vendor or something, just trying to provide you folks with more options. Might turn out to be OK.

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Mr Ma Re;

I have bought from them in the past for a gem to re-cut ( medium royal blue sapphire ). The gem looked as good as the photo which if you think my photos are bad LOL....

But I go by the words more than the photo and it was true to the gem.

I was able to get a very good re-cut from the gem and it tested to be everything they stated. So I have nothing but good to say with my experience with them.

Most respectfully;

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mmmmmm not sure about these people Mr Ma re. I looked at their Alexandrites and I'd put good money on the fact that their photos have been adjusted. For some of the sapphires too. Most of their gems don't have a locality or indication of treatment so I'm assuming those are treated. Some nice pieces but some creative photography I think. I'd be interested to know if anybody has bought from them.

Edit: well I stand corrected!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm. I see windows....
2.gif
But they seem to disclose a lot in the descriptions (spinels), including their estimate of percentage of windows. The colour descriptors are a big vague on some: Med Dark Purplish Red/Purplish Pink color. But some stones come with certs. I don''t know. I''ll keep them in mind I guess, until I hear otherwise.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cabochons look very nice but the faceted stones could do with some recutting. Looks like a good source for a precision cutter to get some nice material from.
31.gif
9.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked up spinels. First of all: I suspect that cobaltospinels do not contain cobalt, otherwise the price would be much higher. Also, there is no indication of origin. Personally, I would be careful. This being said, the prices are low so maybe it is worth the money.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2010 10:50:27 PM
Author: crasru
I looked up spinels. First of all: I suspect that cobaltospinels do not contain cobalt, otherwise the price would be much higher. Also, there is no indication of origin. Personally, I would be careful. This being said, the prices are low so maybe it is worth the money.
Crasru,
I suspect it''s one of those blue spinels with colour reminiscent of cobalt spinel, not necessarily a cobalt bearing blue spinel or blue spinel coloured strongly by cobalt.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I have not ordered from this company, however looking at their spinels, my impression is that the ct price IS low, however you pay for that by having a stone that appears to have been left larger than it "should" have been in the cutting process.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/3/2010 11:01:35 PM
Author: Chrono

Crasru,
I suspect it''s one of those blue spinels with colour reminiscent of cobalt spinel, not necessarily a cobalt bearing blue spinel or blue spinel coloured strongly by cobalt.
But then again, shouldn''t they be selling them as "blue spinels"? The term "cobaltospinel" is misleading.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are plenty of vendors who "romance" the stone. I''ve come to accept this reality and reading between the lines is second nature to me. I understand that this is frustrating for regular consumers though.
15.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/4/2010 11:03:43 AM

Date: 1/3/2010 11:01:35 PM
Author: Chrono

Crasru,
I suspect it's one of those blue spinels with colour reminiscent of cobalt spinel, not necessarily a cobalt bearing blue spinel or blue spinel coloured strongly by cobalt.
But then again, shouldn't they be selling them as 'blue spinels'? The term 'cobaltospinel' is misleading.

Crasru, how do you know they are not "cobalt" spinels? Can you please define what a cobalt spinel is? By that I mean what % of cobalt should the spinel have to carry the term cobalt spinel?

Not sure about "romancing" thier stones. Chrono can you link me to a source that defines exactly what one is and say with any certainty that those at supershine do not fit the description?

While I have never bought directly from this vendor. I have bought a few of Supershines stones through a US vendor. All were a very good value for my purchase price.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/4/2010 1:43:55 PM
Author: colormyworld
Crasru, how do you know they are not ''cobalt'' spinels? Can you please define what a cobalt spinel is? By that I mean what % of cobalt should the spinel have to carry the term cobalt spinel?

Not sure about ''romancing'' thier stones. Chrono can you link me to a source that defines exactly what one is and say with any certainty that those at supershine do not fit the description?

While I have never bought directly from this vendor. I have bought a few of Supershines stones through a US vendor. All were a very good value for my purchase price.
CMW,
I am only speculating with Supershine as with various vendors I have seen advertising cobalt blue spinels. Note that I said "I suspect" because I do not know for sure. My own cobalt spinels have been certified by AGL as being coloured by cobalt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results