shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have an ERD/BE CAST setting?

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Still trying to decide between Harry Winston replica from mark at BE, versus just the halo (no diamonds on shank) from Steven Kirsch. The first would be cast, second hand forged. Mark has assured me I won't be able to tell the difference and I've seen ERD rings on here but j can't tell if they're cast or hand forged ... Let me know, if you have any experience with cast settings from ERD. I specified the size milee I want, as well as U-cut pave and 30 degree angled halo, etc. He said no problem.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Bump, anyone?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The setting of my last ring was cast. It was for a colored stone, though the process really wasn't any different for the setting itself. I think it depends on what you really want and whats in your budget. Cast was in my budget, I would have busted it completely had it went with hand forged.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks. Cost of haloing just the center stone hand forged is the same as cast and pave all over. She is happy with both and can't make a decision so here I am...

nyquestioner

Shiny_Rock
I don't own settings from either vendor, so I can't speak to wear-and-tear issues, but I have been to both of their places and seen settings in person, so I can speak from an aesthetic perspective. If you had a BE cast setting and an SK handforged setting side-by-side and you carefully examined them, you would be able to tell a difference. BUT the BE cast setting still looks really, really good. Way better than any other cast halo I've seen.
Is your girlfriend a person who has a lot of high-end jewelry, who will spend hours examining the details of the ring and comparing it side-by-side with her other high-end jewelry? I would recommend the BE ring unless your girlfriend is extraordinarily picky, and also prefers the plain band to diamond band. Because that is another big difference. Even a very picky jewelry person might choose the BE ring with diamond band to SK with plain band if that's the look they prefer.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
What do you guys think? I want to surprise her as a late valentines present. She has both kinds on her Pinterest board (plain shank and diamond). You really don't think the cast will have too much metal? Mark has been great working with me so far just in describing the look, minimal metal, size of milee etc.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Hoping someone has an example. Like, I've looked at tacori halos and they're cast, they don't look bad

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do a plain shank. And have the shank be cast. And ask Mark to handforge the halo itself.

That's actually what I have.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Gypsy.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy, is yours from Mark or SK? Waiting for the quote for plain shank from Mark now. Thanks again

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mine is a long story. Ocean Pearlman made mine .But her pave sucked and fell out again and again. My shank was cast and had no issues. So Steven redid my halo by handforging it. But to keep costs down we kept my original shank. He lasered the old halo off and put the new one and new the underhalo wires back on.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
what a nightmare, at least Steven got it right though. Thank you for your suggestions

Would You choose Steven over Mark, if both are hand forged?

DC519

Rough_Rock
I think I would suggest a little extra sparkle and go full Harry Winston style, but having a hand forged piece is definitely more solid, and especially with a plain shank makes it much more durable.

To help you out though, I would go for the Harry Winston style because I like that style better. And BE would execute it flawlessly!

However, if you don't like my choice, know you cannot make a wrong decision with either of these choices!

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the suggestions and the link. I have seen that thread, wasn't sure if they were all hand forged or a mix of hand forged and cast, etc. I will have to make sure I tell Mark to use the thinner prongs. His work is great from what I can see. I don't think my fiancée is going to inspect details too much honestly, but I would. One thing she has said is "minimal metal" so prongs are likely included in that.

Thanks again everyone.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Between the two? Assuming the price is the same? Steven. Simply because I've had less than no problems with mine and one of my best friends also has a ring by him.

That said, if there was a price break of 500 or more, Mark would be my choice.

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
i had a cast ring from erd..I had nothing but trouble. Actually i had two, one replaced the first troubled one.. both a NIGHTMARE.

I wore a cast ring from another vendor for 15 yrs without ever needing a tweek.

If you have the funds go for steven.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wendylynne|1453679374|3980862 said:
i had a cast ring from erd..I had nothing but trouble. Actually i had two, one replaced the first troubled one.. both a NIGHTMARE.

I wore a cast ring from another vendor for 15 yrs without ever needing a tweek.

If you have the funds go for steven.

Wendy, can you tell us more? It is helpful to know this, because we recommend them so often.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
That's the first negative thing I've heard at all about them. Mark came in at $400 below Steven, I wonder if they're at all flexible on pricing. So close. I think I'll splurge for Steven, even though I'd be getting hand forged at ERD (just the halo, no diamond on band, talked to Fiancée about it)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good, Steven is worth the extra. Better to have no regrets!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
qui499kyl|1453696252|3981005 said:
That's the first negative thing I've heard at all about them. Mark came in at $400 below Steven, I wonder if they're at all flexible on pricing. So close. I think I'll splurge for Steven, even though I'd be getting hand forged at ERD (just the halo, no diamond on band, talked to Fiancée about it)

It's worth the splurge. =)

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Mine is BE cast (when they were ERD). Ring in my avatar. I haven't had any issues.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a cast ring from ERD/BE and the workmanship is so fluid and fine that it can pass off as handforged.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, examples, and links.

I talked with both of them again, and I misread a quote... I was quoted for one row of pave at SK vs 2 rows of pave at BE. I think I'm going with BE, ends up being $800 cheaper.

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Hey Chrono, do you have a picture by any chance?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
qui499kyl|1453752839|3981317 said:
Hey Chrono, do you have a picture by any chance?

_903.png

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
That's beautiful. Wow. That's cast?? I am impressed. There is like no metal showing - that's my only fear with cast. That looks handforged, I cant tell the difference

qui499kyl

Shiny_Rock
Well now I'm back to square one because that cast setting looks completely perfect. What did you specify with Mark / BE in order to get such an excellent final product?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's not a matter of looks. That is not an engagement ring worn everyday. For a ring worn every day handforged is stronger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results