shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a kid that is into running?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My son turned ten in February, he doesn't participate in any sports because he has no interest in them and doesn't do extracurricular activities because he attends school 45 minutes away and by the time he gets home it's homework and dinner then bed. He has tried some things: soccer, karate, swimming but he has a hard time with focus and coordination at times. I offered him music lessons but the only thing he was interested in are the drums!

We recently got the program guide for our recreation department and they are offering a program for kids running, they meet weekly for an hour and you have the option of participating in a 5K at the end. I have always thought he would be a good runner, he has the build for it and has good form when he has run in the past in small kids races. When I mentioned this to him he was willing to try it, I figure that's a positive right?

So does anyone have a kid that runs? Any tips? I'm wondering if I need to buy him another pair of sneakers apart from his main pair.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Stephanie, Good for him! I think the earlier good habits like exercise (and eating right) start the easier it is to maintain good habits for life. I would recommend getting your son specific running sneakers to get him started right. Comfort and safety and I hope he enjoys and reaps the benefits!

Kbell

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I don't have a kid who runs but I run. DEFINITELY get him some sneakers specifically for running. I never wear my runners as dailies unless something comes up & I have to.

P

PierreBear

Hey Stephanie! Way to be super mom and willingness to guide your son in the right direction. I grew up with a swimming background and eventually got into triathlons. I had wish I started running earlier in life instead of as an adult. I'm really excited for him to get this foundation as it can transition into trail running as well.

Missy has a great recommendation on running shoes. I favor the running stores that watch you walk/run and can help find the right brand/style that fits your foot. Good luck to him!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with hooking him up with a running store. Often times, injuries take years to develop and can be the result of improper shoes or running technique. Good form running clinics are good.. if you have a local running store, check it out.

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely get new shoes - a pair dedicated to running. And, what a great idea! I'm a fan of activities you can do for life (if you're lucky!) and you don't need anyone else to do necessarily. Swimming and running are great to take up.

If he gets really into it, maybe an activity tracker to encourage him. My 12 year old nephew is very active and loves logging his miles.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy, I totally agree with you, thankfully he is a healthy eater so if he ends up enjoying running then I hope it is something he will continue into adulthood.

Kbell, we will definitely be doing some new sneaker shopping then, somewhere where he can get his foot measured so they will be the correct size.

Pierre, it's very admirable that you can do a triathlon, I'm lucky I can jog a mile on the treadmill most days! You know I just see that kids his age are involved in things that he isn't so I would just like him to find an interest he enjoys.

Siamese, thank you for your recommendation, I believe we have a store like that not far from us so we will have to check that out.

Puppmom, I was very happy to see them offering a running program this year, we are lucky that our city offers wonderful programs for the kids. I actually had him in swimming lessons when he was younger but he didn't really become confident until I started sending him to summer day camp at a lake where they swim daily. That was well worth the money and he will be going again this summer. Thanks for the suggestion about the activity tracker, I think he would love that.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good for you & keep up his interest, but be gentle. I run, as most of you know, and my just turned 8 year old daughter has on occasion, asked to come with me at the weekend. All we have ever done together is gently jog across the fields, through the woods & back, but it was enough for her to understand why I personally run, how nature makes me feel happy & how my body is strong as a result. Last June she was selected for her schools Cross Country Team (we T's have stamina - Mr T ran the Tokoyo Marathon a few weeks back) & she has recently joined a running club. This is all her own doing, at her own pace. Good shoes are essential, but don't push him & let him find his feet, quite literally.

As a child, I was a good swimmer. That got me pushed & pushed to County level & I began to really resent it. I felt like I HAD to swim at 5am on 4 mornings a week because I was good & I would win. I lost the enjoyment & now, as a 42 year old, I only ever swim on holiday. I don't want either of my girls to ever feel like that. If they show interest then great, but if that wains then I don't push them. I also play the piano & have a beautiful antique model at home, but I have never pushed them - I just let them listen. They like how the piano sounds & makes them feel, so the younger daughter has recently started lessons.

Just go with the flow & at your sons pace. He'll thank you for not putting any pressure on :))

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My nephew runs on a HS team at a varsity level. He started in middle school and slowly built up. As you mention, he's not the most coordinated kid so running is a good option. It does take quite a bit of time if your son gets on a team. Afterschool practices, meets, competitions, etc. He goes through a pair of running sneakers every month.

As far as activities go, have you suggested boy scouts to him? It's been falling out of favor lately but it does teach a lot of useful skills and teamwork.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results