shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a claw prong solitaire from Brain Gavin?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jenlev

Rough_Rock
I''''m trying to decide between the solitaire from Leon Mege or having Brian Gavin do a custom solitaire that''''s "similar".

This is the one I would get from Leon: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=50

Anyone have a BGD setting that is close to that?

I don''t have one, but I feel like I HAVE seen a BGD version like that already with double claw prongs on the grace solitaire maybe...??

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
sadly no, I don''t.. but I think BDG would do a great job. What are the factors involved in your decision between Leon and BDG?

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I love BGD and they do fabulous work, but if delicate claw prongs are a priority for you then I''d go with Leon. I have rings by both (not diamond solitaires) and there''s no comparison in the claw prongs... Leon''s the clear winner there.

jenlev

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 10:39:35 AM
Author: Kismet
I love BGD and they do fabulous work, but if delicate claw prongs are a priority for you then I''d go with Leon. I have rings by both (not diamond solitaires) and there''s no comparison in the claw prongs... Leon''s the clear winner there.

Eh that''s what I was worried about. Leon''s prongs and delicacy is what I love the most. And honestly, the price difference between the custom BGD and the Leon that I had quoted was only like $150 more (for Leon''s).

My biggest concerns with Leon are: 1. he takes longer to complete, and 2. I''ve heard he can be ''difficult'' to work with at times. I don''t want to send my diamond to him and hear that he thinks I should have side stones, or do something different. I''m open to his opinions, as long as they''re not pushed.

Hoping I can see some photos of more BGD solitaires because so far, my experience with them has been absolutely perfect! I should say, Leon has been very nice in any email communications I''ve had with him thus far.

Jen

Reenie

Rough_Rock
Hi Jen,

I recently received my Grace split prong from BGD and i love it. The claws are super dainty and the craftsmanship is superbe. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend them. Here is the link to the thread with my pictures.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-bgd-split-prong-grace-has-arrived-in-the-uk.139306/

Hope that helps!

Karenx

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jenlev I have never heard of Leon trying to push someone to set their diamond in a different manner. Where problems arise is when a customer wants to change and existing pieve or do a custom piece and have a *lot* of input over how it turns out. If you want an exact replica of one of his simple solitaires, then I don''t think there will be a problem. But know, he will set the stone as low as possible and there may be slight differences between the pictured ring and your finished ring and tough cookies to you if you care. You just need to trust him 100%.

jenlev

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 12:23:48 PM
Author: dreamer_d
Jenlev I have never heard of Leon trying to push someone to set their diamond in a different manner. Where problems arise is when a customer wants to change and existing pieve or do a custom piece and have a *lot* of input over how it turns out. If you want an exact replica of one of his simple solitaires, then I don''t think there will be a problem. But know, he will set the stone as low as possible and there may be slight differences between the pictured ring and your finished ring and tough cookies to you if you care. You just need to trust him 100%.

Yes I do love it exactly how he has it set... I really wouldn''t want any changes done. The things I''ve read from other PS members is they''ve sent the diamonds to him and he''s made comments about diamond size (being small) and because of size suggesting side stones or suggesting different prongs (not claw prongs). I feel like I should just go with my gut and use him because I feel like if I go with BGD I will constantly be comparing it
7.gif
which isn''t fair.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 12:30:20 PM
Author: jenlev

Yes I do love it exactly how he has it set... I really wouldn''t want any changes done. The things I''ve read from other PS members is they''ve sent the diamonds to him and he''s made comments about diamond size (being small) and because of size suggesting side stones or suggesting different prongs (not claw prongs). I feel like I should just go with my gut and use him because I feel like if I go with BGD I will constantly be comparing it
7.gif
which isn''t fair.

Sounds like you have a winner :) Many people have enjoyed their experiences with Leon and his craftsmanship is superbe!

wsblue430

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I have claw prongs from BGD and they are PERFECTION. I love how dainty, thin and itty bitty they are..they just claw onto my stone!
12.gif

bgd grace.jpg

jenlev

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 12:50:17 PM
Author: wsblue430
I have to say I have claw prongs from BGD and they are PERFECTION. I love how dainty, thin and itty bitty they are..they just claw onto my stone!
12.gif

Oh gosh.. now I''m more confused than ever... those are LOVELY!! Do you have any side shots??

Thanks so much for posting the photo! What ring size are you also? (and do you know the width of your band)... sorry for so many questions :)

Reenie

Rough_Rock
Managed to find a picture of the split prong grace in my inbox! Here you go! Like to previous post said, the claws are so dainty. How they get them so precise is a mystery!!!

The link to the split prong ring is below.

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/home/ring-details/?product_id=5507

If you use the zoom function to have a closer look at the claw prongs to see if they are what you are looking for.

Ultimately I would recommend going for the setting that gives you butterflies. If you think you might not be 100% happy with the ring if it is not a Leon then i think your decision is made.

I hope you find your perfect setting.

K

BGD SP Grace 5.jpeg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What size is your diamond?

I agree with Leon that it looks better on larger diamond, like over 1.5ct, even closer to 2ct, because otherwise the metal is to prominent on the face of the diamond.

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is my mom''s - BGD did a great job on the claws. They came out so pointy and dainty
1.gif

BEGPSIMG_1424.jpg

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to confuse the issue further
19.gif
, whilst I love the BGD pieces, there is something about a leon menge, his work is pure artistry, you can tell it a mile away. Whish I had time to put some links on, but the claws, the settings....swoon.. Now if I was after a kicking stone then BGD would win hands down over Leon, but the setting, if you know what you want and can work with him, I would go Leon all the way.....

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Hello jenlev,

I also have the Grace from BGD, but set with a cushion. Mine still has lovely claw prongs that are very dainty and look perfectly proportioned IRL - here''s a pic.
The prongs on a round will stand out less as the corners of the cushion must be protected..

I think the poster that had the Grace made with split prongs turned out lovely.

It''s really a matter of weighing up the pro''s and con''s of each, which factors matter to you most - perhaps write a short list?
For example, I agree with others that no one can quite do extremely pointy tiny claws like LM.. but imho, no one does customer service like BG - including customizing a setting to exactly the client''s preferences.

BrianGavin_YG1_.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results