shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a branded quadex?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trying to decide if a branded BGD quadex is worth the increased cost vs an unbranded radiant H&A. All options are .6ct or less. None except the BGD one has an ASET, unfortunately.

Thoughts on whether I should up my budget or lower the stone size (for the same size stone, the BGD diamond is 2x the cost) versus taking a "risk" on an unbranded one?

Purposefully cut out the website info and other identifying stuff since none of the options are on hold.

BGD option:
20220526_194244.jpg Screenshot_20220526-194316_Chrome.jpg

Other choices:
Screenshot_20220526-194136_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220526-193633_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220526-193726_Chrome.jpg
20220526_194050.jpg

Thanks!!

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Just here to say I love this cut, and I look forward to seeing everyone's gorgeous stones!

Edit: I love the BGD Quadex, but to my very untrained eye, the first two unbranded stones you posted also look really good.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just here to say I love this cut, and I look forward to seeing everyone's gorgeous stones!

Thanks! Which option does your eye prefer? I'd love all the opinions I can get!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
or have a vendor in nyc pull in some and take aset images.

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs I've seen some really pretty ones on bluenile lately, under the Astor designation- you may know that ;-). Rhino cuts them too, but I don't know if he has a 1ct minimum? His may have an aset.

ETA: are you doing a solitaire or band? They are beautifully cut stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lovedogs I've seen some really pretty ones on bluenile lately, under the Astor designation- you may know that ;-). Rhino cuts them too, but I don't know if he has a 1ct minimum? His may have an aset.

ETA: are you doing a solitaire or band? They are beautifully cut stones.

He does? I know he cuts h&a cushions, but haven't ever seen him do radiants!

Simple and Sparkly

Shiny_Rock
@lovedogs yeah, I misspoke. His are not cornered, they are cushions. My brain was processing them with cut corners. Sorry :((

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! Which option does your eye prefer? I'd love all the opinions I can get!

I think #2 if we're talking about the non-branded stones. It's hard to argue with the BGD ASET though. I'm not sure what your parameters are, as far as color or clarity, but @Simple and Sparkly is correct that Blue Nile carries a lot of these if you search through their radiants, and set the cut search to Astor Ideal only. Looking through their results though, compared to BGD, I'm not sure you would save much money.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
I like #2 of the unbranded stones too, but mostly I would be hesitant of the prominence of the clouds/pinpoints in the BGD (untrained eye and all)

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Did you decide on the 5-stone version?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you decide on the 5-stone version?

No, I actually got insanely lucky and found a van craeynest set from a wonderful PSer! So this stone will replace the existing center stone.

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I have a little .47 K Quadex bezel pendant and I just LOVE it! I have a thread on it, I think. It is SOOOO sparkly and it is right up there with my ACA pendant that is about the same size. In fact, I will probably use the ACA in a different project or upgrade it because I like the Quadex so much.

I also have two loose ~.40 K Quadexes that I originally intended as studs, but now I am thinking I need them somewhere on my hand so I can see them! LOL

I am not sure how the Quadex would compare visually to the unbranded and other options you are looking at, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I LOVE my Quadexes. I can't wait to see what you get!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a little .47 K Quadex bezel pendant and I just LOVE it! I have a thread on it, I think. It is SOOOO sparkly and it is right up there with my ACA pendant that is about the same size. In fact, I will probably use the ACA in a different project or upgrade it because I like the Quadex so much.

I also have two loose ~.40 K Quadexes that I originally intended as studs, but now I am thinking I need them somewhere on my hand so I can see them! LOL

I am not sure how the Quadex would compare visually to the unbranded and other options you are looking at, but I just wanted to chime in and say that I LOVE my Quadexes. I can't wait to see what you get!

That's soooo helpful, thank you!!! Given both cost and the setting I have, I need something in the .4-.6 range, so I'm glad you shared the info about yours! I'm off to find your thread!

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
No, I actually got insanely lucky and found a van craeynest set from a wonderful PSer! So this stone will replace the existing center stone.

Oooo, can't wait to see it!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well. I decided that "for PS science" I wanted to compare a quadex to an unbranded option. So I bought the quadex in the pic and the 2nd unbranded option so I can see both and compare IRL. I will definitely share pics!

Heathcat24

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Well. I decided that "for PS science" I wanted to compare a quadex to an unbranded option. So I bought the quadex in the pic and the 2nd unbranded option so I can see both and compare IRL. I will definitely share pics!

Yay! I can't wait to see!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Oooh I love a side by side comparison! I have an unbranded one of these and I love the performance. They are extremely firey and bright. But I got mine before the Quadex was relaunched so I never had to chance to compare the two.

One thing I did notice about the the quadexes I have seen on the BG website since is that the ones I looked at seem to have slightly lower depth than some of the unbranded ones and that may translate to a slightly bigger face up for the same carat weight, but it may just depend on the specific stones in question.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That’s exciting!! Looking forward to your comparison pics and impressions!!

vetrik

Shiny_Rock

Looking forward to your comparison - I’m so curious to hear if you see much difference! Also looking forward to seeing the finished project!

If you were looking for sheer bang for buck, I'd go with this guy:
On the hand, I'd wager that feather will be invisible, and it's clearly a better stone that the similar one on Blue Nile.

Wow - have prices increased significantly this past year? I know Quadex and Blue Nile Astor are priced higher, but last year I bought a .91 carat I SI1 older Ideal Square branded for $2300.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking forward to your comparison - I’m so curious to hear if you see much difference! Also looking forward to seeing the finished project!

Wow - have prices increased significantly this past year? I know Quadex and Blue Nile Astor are priced higher, but last year I bought a .91 carat I SI1 older Ideal Square branded for $2300.

Quadex stones are super expensive now, unfortunately. That is partly why I wanted to compare branded vs unbranded. Because the cost of a quadex in .4-.6 is almost 2x the cost of an unbranded one (depending on color, clarity, etc.)

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

I had my eye on a really unique radiant cut on Blue Nile, and hemmed and hawed a bit too long. They raised the price by more than 15% over the course of a few weeks, and then it sold! I was so mad at myself for not grabbing it at the lower price.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Definitely pics and thoughts! Curious to know if its worth the 2x to you for branded.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The JA one is here! I need to pick up the BGD one from a fedex store later today or tomorrow.

Tried to get good pics w the ASET viewer was almost impossible.

20220602_121237.jpg 20220602_121212.jpg 20220602_121326.jpg 20220602_121311.jpg 20220602_120659.jpg 20220602_120949.jpg 20220602_120700.jpg

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Just curious, did you clean it before pictures, or is it right out of the box? How does it look to you?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just curious, did you clean it before pictures, or is it right out of the box? How does it look to you?

Lol, right out of the box because I didnt have long before I had to head to work. Defininitrly any smudges are from my hands/dirt. I was mostly interested in the facet "crispness " using the ASET. I'm very interested to compare it to the BGD one!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results