shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone have a Birks Appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whotheyare

Shiny_Rock
I have a birks appraisal for a pendant it appraised around 10k for 4 ct of majority vvs and vs diamonds in 7 pointers i thought the appraisal value was pretty low considering the quality diamonds and also around 55g 14k gold,

is this normal for Birks appraisals to have a more accurate appraisal value not really overinflated?

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

whotheyare

Shiny_Rock
brinks didnt say anything as they have nothing to do with the issue, i got my jewels delivered by UPS not brinks

birks on the other hand said that the people doing appraisal is separate company, and i think 4 ct vs/vvs stones 7 pointers with 55g gold should be worth more than 10k (even tho they said 7 stones chipped but there 64 stones so i dont think thats major and i cant see any chip) so im just wondering if anyone else had birks appraisal and if they appraise the pieces so cheap

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Call up the appraiser and ask them what they mean by their value conclusion if it's not explained in the report itself. Part of the job of an appraiser is to communicate clearly to you what they mean by their various observations and conclusions.

I can easily imagine situations where a 55g piece with 4 carats of VS/VVS melee would trade for far less than $10k. I can also think of situations and pieces where this would be low.

By the way, chipped stones are not vvs.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/10/2008 11:44:54 PM
Author:whotheyare
I have a birks appraisal for a pendant it appraised around 10k for 4 ct of majority vvs and vs diamonds in 7 pointers i thought the appraisal value was pretty low considering the quality diamonds and also around 55g 14k gold,

is this normal for Birks appraisals to have a more accurate appraisal value not really overinflated?

I did get my ring appraised from Birks, as it was originally purchased from Birks. I found that it came back a bit lower than what I thought it would as well. Maybe you should seek another opinion? I am considering it.

whotheyare

Shiny_Rock
yeah denver, they said most stones were vvs/vs few were si (I am presuming some of the "chipped" stones they saw they graded that as) but majority it said on appraisal were vvs/vs

yeah im considering getting it reappraised i know i could get way higher appraisal value but i dont know if i should

vslover

Shiny_Rock
What do you need the appraisal for? I''d just try to keep in mind that a bunch of smaller diamonds don''t add up to what one diamond of the same carat weight would be...the single large diamond would be worth a lot more. HTH

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If your appraisal is for insurance purposes, your insurer is agreeing to replace it with another item of ‘like kind and quality’ in the case of a loss. They hire some pretty savvy shoppers to do these things and they will get the best deal they can. As long as it’s less than the policy limit, that’s what they’ll go with. Even if it’s a lot less. This makes for an easy credibility check if you bought it recently. How much did you pay? How much do you think it would cost YOU to replace it if you needed to? Would a $10k budget be sufficient? Too much? Almost certainly the insurer can get as good a deal as you can and possibly better. They wield enormous buying power and are not ashamed to use it. The premium you pay will be based on the upper limit that you set on the policy, even if there is no possibility that they will need to pay this limit in the case of a loss so it''s doing you no favors to set the limit unreasonably high.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Jewelry Appraisals in Denver

Cathers

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/19/2008 10:53:09 PM
Author: whotheyare
brinks didnt say anything as they have nothing to do with the issue, i got my jewels delivered by UPS not brinks

birks on the other hand said that the people doing appraisal is separate company, and i think 4 ct vs/vvs stones 7 pointers with 55g gold should be worth more than 10k (even tho they said 7 stones chipped but there 64 stones so i dont think thats major and i cant see any chip) so im just wondering if anyone else had birks appraisal and if they appraise the pieces so cheap
you know what is really kinda strange? Birks said that my diamond had a nick/chip in it as well, and that affected my appraisal!
38.gif

whotheyare

Shiny_Rock
yeah i guess birks definition of a chip is different than what I am thinking because i dont see anything

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results