shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone had their diamond set by GOG?

hsiaomee

Rough_Rock
Dear all,

I'm thinking of buying a AVC from GOG. The GOG website doesn't really offer much info on their settings other than pictures. I wonder if anyone had their diamonds set by GOG? I'd love to hear your experiences.

I'm very fond of the idea of BGD Novela setting. Shall I just send my future diamond to BGD and have them set it there? I am a overseas buyer. Shall I worry about the accidental damage during setting as I don't have insurance to cover the diamond?

Your input would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recently bought an AVC and had it put in a temporary setting. I would say the bench GOG uses is very good. The prong work satisfies me and I am uber picky.

Actually GOG has lots of settings not on the website, just contact marie ([email protected]) and tell her what you want. I recall seeing here on PS a Novo style ring like the Novela that was very very nice.

I suggest all this because it is easier, cheaper, and safer to have GOG set your stone.

hsiaomee

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315688813|3014607 said:
I recently bought an AVC and had it put in a temporary setting. I would say the bench GOG uses is very good. The prong work satisfies me and I am uber picky.

Actually GOG has lots of settings not on the website, just contact marie ([email protected]) and tell her what you want. I recall seeing here on PS a Novo style ring like the Novela that was very very nice.

I suggest all this because it is easier, cheaper, and safer to have GOG set your stone.

Hi Dreamer,

First I'd like to say that your AVC is beautiful and hopefully you are keeping it. :love:

I contacted GOG(not Marie) about Novo style setting and the quote they gave me was quite a lot more than the BGD Novela. The picture came with the email looks very pretty but no specs were included abt the setting. Comparing to how much information that's available to loose diamonds on their website, I am disappointed.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
hsiaomee|1315691763|3014631 said:
Dreamer_D|1315688813|3014607 said:

Hi Dreamer,

First I'd like to say that your AVC is beautiful and hopefully you are keeping it. :love:

I contacted GOG(not Marie) about Novo style setting and the quote they gave me was quite a lot more than the BGD Novela. The picture came with the email looks very pretty but no specs were included abt the setting. Comparing to how much information that's available to loose diamonds on their website, I am disappointed.

I agree you cannot readily get good information on their site about their settings. I think it could reflect the fact that they are actually a B&M store?? Jon mentioned a couple times to me when they were talking that they were going to have a new website soon and maybe it will have better setting information.

Have you bought the stone yet? I suspect you will get more investement of their time once you are a customer and not a tire kicker :)) For better or worse.

Many many people have had stones sent from GOG to BGD for setting. It is simple and safe in the grand scheme. You do need to know that BGD will not take financial responsibility for damage to a stone not theirs if someting happened in the setting process. it is an unlikely outcome though. You can secure insurance for the loose stone through jewelers mutual during the setting process only, but you would need to live in Canada or the US I think.

hsiaomee

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1315692050|3014639 said:
I agree you cannot readily get good information on their site about their settings. I think it could reflect the fact that they are actually a B&M store?? Jon mentioned a couple times to me when they were talking that they were going to have a new website soon and maybe it will have better setting information.

Have you bought the stone yet? I suspect you will get more investement of their time once you are a customer and not a tire kicker :)) For better or worse.

Many many people have had stones sent from GOG to BGD for setting. It is simple and safe in the grand scheme. You do need to know that BGD will not take financial responsibility for damage to a stone not theirs if someting happened in the setting process. it is an unlikely outcome though. You can secure insurance for the loose stone through jewelers mutual during the setting process only, but you would need to live in Canada or the US I think.

Hi Dreamer, I did put a deposit towards the diamond. I had wonderful experience with both Matt and Sarah. They were really helpful with emails and pictures when I was deciding and debating amongst three stones. I am now very happy with the one I picked out and 100% committed.

It's intriguing that you mentioned jewelers mutual. While I live in the UK, my boyfriend actually lives in the US. I will ask him to look into it. Thanks so much. :D

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
hsiaomee|1315686073|3014583 said:
Dear all,

I'm thinking of buying a AVC from GOG. The GOG website doesn't really offer much info on their settings other than pictures. I wonder if anyone had their diamonds set by GOG? I'd love to hear your experiences.

I'm very fond of the idea of BGD Novela setting. Shall I just send my future diamond to BGD and have them set it there? I am a overseas buyer. Shall I worry about the accidental damage during setting as I don't have insurance to cover the diamond?

Your input would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
I have, no problems at all. I bought my stone from them and a setting, they set it for me. I had no problems. Be sure on the ring size, I found out that their 5 1/2 US is not the same as my other 5 1/2 rings. I had to send a plain band that fit well to have them match it. Mandrels are not as calibrated as one would like.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I purchased a new diamond from GOG and had them set it in my original e-ring setting from many years ago. They replaced the head exactly as we agreed on, and the setting work was excellent. Very pleased.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I purchased my pear and setting from them. I am very pleased with the quality of work.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
My diamond and setting were both purchased from GOG, and they were nothing short of phenomenal! You're right in that over the phone or email it's hard to find info about the settings they have. However, when we walked into the store they had trays upon trays, plus estate pieces and other setting that weren't on display. Because my husband was very, very picky we literally went through all the trays on display! They then came out with loads more trays from within their store and we finally found it. They were very, very helpful, so please don't be turned off by an email! In the event that you definitely want the BGD but are nervous about shipping it out and the insurance factor, I'd suggest asking about getting a custom setting with them. They work with a lot of reputable jewelers that can create whatever you like and usually at a competitive price. So it wouldn't hurt to ask.

HopeDream

Ideal_Rock
I bought an AVC from GOG and had it set by them as well. I've been very happy with the nice straight, symetrical prong-work and the rounded Tiffany-style prong finish (the default I guess, as I did not specify claw prongs or anything). The stone setting has remained nice and secure even though I bang my hand around all the time (I've had it little over a year now).

Whoever you do get your stone set by , make sure they're familiar with setting fancy shapes, I've seen at least one horrendous avc setting by someone's hometown Jeweller- I think the angles of the avc corners were different than what that jeweller would usually set. It was a mess!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another who had GOG set a diamond! It's a small OMC and they did a great job setting it in a pendant for me. It's a bit scary having them do it blind but they're very reputable so I had faith it would turn out well, and it did!

FireStar

Rough_Rock
+1 for GOG workmanship. Had an AVC (0.99 K SI2) set in 'Perfect Halo' setting. Simply stunning - there's a video of it online. Based on my experience, I would have them do so again in a heartbeat.

FireStar

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results