shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone familiar with shipping antiques & high-value jewelry internationally? EU to US

artnouveauaddict

Rough_Rock
Hello! This community has so much knowledge, and I am hoping to get a few questions regarding international shipping answered.

I am located in the EU (France) and would like to start selling some vintage and antique jewelry items online, but the shipping/customs process has me stumped. I have been looking at all the big-name carriers and each has a valuable jewelry and antiques under prohibited or restricted items (UPS says antiques are prohibited and FedEx says they're restricted). They also have max values that are typically only $1k, which would not cover the full value.

How are people shipping internationally for these items? Or am I reading into the fine print too much? I really don't understand how sellers are following regulations to ship antiques or high-value jewelry. Any help is welcomed!

Thank you!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have an Etsy account? They have a forum that allows you to ask questions is the community and there are many international sellers. I would post your question there, you may get some additional feedback/advice.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many vendors carry their own insurance on their inventory which policies (or riders) may include coverage for shipping if specific procedures are met (must use certain shipping companies, must use double boxes, etc)

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Business accounts get higher insurance rates and are allowed to ship those things. Individuals are not.

artnouveauaddict

Rough_Rock
Do you have an Etsy account? They have a forum that allows you to ask questions is the community and there are many international sellers. I would post your question there, you may get some additional feedback/advice.

Great idea. I'll try there for additional feedback. Thank you!

artnouveauaddict

Rough_Rock
Many vendors carry their own insurance on their inventory which policies (or riders) may include coverage for shipping if specific procedures are met (must use certain shipping companies, must use double boxes, etc)

Thank you for your response! Yes, I started looking into third-party insurance companies. Unfortunately, I still don't know if that is sufficient enough to approve what is considered a restricted item :(

artnouveauaddict

Rough_Rock
Business accounts get higher insurance rates and are allowed to ship those things. Individuals are not.

Ahh, this must be it. I wonder if private sellers qualify with these companies. I may have to look into that. I appreciate your feedback!

RRfromR

Brilliant_Rock
No ideas, but please post pictures of your items. I personally love looking at stuff

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results