shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone ever nervous about shipping a stone?

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
I'm considering shipping a stone/ring from NYC to NJ. However, I'm crazy scared of losing it in the mail even if I overnight it by FedEx.

Am I being irrational? Those of you who have gotten/sent a diamond or ring through the mail, what was your experience like? Would you recommend it?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
For that distance, I would just drive down there with the stone.

Fedex will not insure your package, unless you are shipping it through a jeweler or someone else with a third party insurance. USPS will insure your package if you only use their registered mail service, not their priority service, which moves with the same speed anyway.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have only ever shipped my own stones with USPS registered mail. It's pretty slow but very secure and it's the only way I would ship something of a significant value. Just make sure you have what you need if you need to place a claim in case of loss or damage. You must insure it for the exact amount of value and have proof of the value, either a receipt or an appraisal. Good luck!

miwa

Rough_Rock
I was plenty scared. But I made sure it was insured and I was dealing with pricescope vendors who calmed my fears. The whole event was quite enlightening in the end. We dealt with UPS and Fedex overnight.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
send USPS registered mail and insure for the full amount.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lilythespitfire|1313441266|2991432 said:
I'm considering shipping a stone/ring from NYC to NJ. However, I'm crazy scared of losing it in the mail even if I overnight it by FedEx.

Am I being irrational? Those of you who have gotten/sent a diamond or ring through the mail, what was your experience like? Would you recommend it?

Are you shipping to a vendor, and is your ring insured (independently, or a rider on your home insurance)? If you're shipping to a vendor you can ask if they can send you a FedEx overnight return label - FedEx's jewellery insurance for private persons is pretty much nonexistent (UPS won't insure it either - one does up to $100 I think, the other doesn't at all, I forget which is which) but businesses have more options. After sending my ring USPS registered from CA to TX and biting my nails for 15 days - never again, my peace of mind is worth the extra $150ish for the FedEx label!

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
USPS registered mail (with insurance) is the way to go!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1313448215|2991518 said:
USPS registered mail (with insurance) is the way to go!
I agree! It's veeeeeery slow, but worth the security, in my opinion.
Just know that it will take a long time to get your ring, I think they estimate ten business days. Still worth it, though.

dogmama

Shiny_Rock
I would be sending it out from a jeweler's to a family friend to save on the sales tax. Anyone of you guys do this and feel ok with it? I totally trust the jeweler, I'm just scared once the ring leaves the store! :naughty:

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
The jeweler probably has his own 3rd party insurance if he is using Fedex. Confirm that this shipment will also be placed under the same insurance, then it should be fine.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I've used USPS registered mail when mailing my stuff, and FedEx with the jeweler's insurance when returning the jeweler's stuff.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results