shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone ever dealt with ravera gem jewlery?

sunnyside74

Shiny_Rock
Hi all - decided to embark on a CS pendant project, and I'm more of a diamond gal.... read the info stickies above and looks at the vendor list... I was looking for a smallish (6-7mm) pink (not neon, more subdued pink, can have brown or orange undertone) cabochon sapphire for a pendant project. In hunting around, ravera gem jewelry popped up with a few nice ones which seem to be the general color/quality level I'm looking for (organic piece, does not need a flawless stone)... anyone ever heard/dealt with them? thanks so much!

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, they're crazy-cheap so that must tell you something. $100 for an almost-2-ct sapphire? I didn't see anything on their pink sapphire pages that I would want to be the focal point of a pendant. I think you'd be better off getting a much larger, much prettier, and softer stone; no need to spring for a poor, tiny sapphire for a pendant. (For a ring, you'd need the durability.) Even the sapphires that they faceted (rose cut?!) did not look like facet-grade to my amateur eye. For perspective, spouse has some vintage earrings with very included but still very bright-looking Burmese pink sapphires; they're still crystalline-looking, though.

You could probably get a lovely precision-cut garnet for close to the prices you must be looking at for these sapphires. Others here will know more...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you're interested in only a cabochon, @sunnyside74 -- not a faceted gem? May we know what your target budget for the center stone is?

sunnyside74

Shiny_Rock
hi all, thanks for the replies - i figured with those prices it was likely not the best choice - the primary goal is for a smooth, non faceted cabochon. it can be mildly opaque. sapphire is my birthstone, so I was hoping to stick with that for sentimental reasons. i've reached out to have cheyenne weil make a pendant, and her organic style that I like is less suited for faceted stones to my eye (think like @Rubybrick's gorgeous ring, but a pendant) -- i was going for something in a peony or dahlia floral carved design.... so a flatter cabochon, likely better than a sugarloaf style.... the total pendant size will be 12-13 mm, so max size for the stone would be 7 maybe 8 mm diameter, budget under 500$ would be ideal (I'm meeting with top notch faceting next week to look at his lovely custom cut sapphires for a possible 3 stone ring, which is where the majority of my fun budget is headed)

thank you again for any suggestions!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The gems on the website are all of low quality. That’s perfectly fine, as their prices match the quality BUT setting is expensive. You’d be better off getting a clearer, maybe even brighter pink with less inclusions (costing more obviously) to make it deserving of a lovely custom setting.
There’s nothing wrong with cheaper gems but it’s a bit silly spending x 3 plus on the setting for a “meh” gem.

sunnyside74

Shiny_Rock
Good point Bron. :) any good sources for cabochon sapphire? I haven't had a ton of luck looking.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results