shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone ever buy gemstones in Brazil?

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
So I'm in Rio de Janeiro for the next few weeks, and heard that this may be a good place to buy gemstones.

Does anyone have any experience with this (loose stones or set jewelry)?
Does anyone have any recommendations for a place to get a good deal without getting scammed quality-wise (I know little-to-nothing about gemstones, except that they are very pretty)?

Thanks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the risk of stating the obvious, I would be pretty leery about buying gemstones in a foreign country, especially if I didn't know much about gemstones to begin with. I'm sorry that I don't have more encouraging news, but maybe someone else will.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Ditto. Especially if you don't speak Portuguese, I would think. You risk being taken for a sitting duck. It's always a tempting idea but unfortunately a good way to come home with crap unless you know your stuff cold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know anyone in Brazil but I think Lady D resides somewhere in SA so she might be able to share a few pointers. In general, the closer one is to the mines, the more likely one will be scammed with synthetics, simulants, treated gemstones.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1384434870|3556301 said:
I don't know anyone in Brazil but I think Lady D resides somewhere in SA so she might be able to share a few pointers. In general, the closer one is to the mines, the more likely one will be scammed with synthetics, simulants, treated gemstones.

I was going to say this as well, but then realized that I've really only heard it said about Africa and Afghanistan - have you heard it said about Brazil as well, or do you think its one of those universal truths?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Minou,
I think it could be one of those universal truths. I have not heard it applied to Brazil but I would heed this advice in Thailand. ;)) I am sure there are reputable places in each of those countries, only that we don't know who is trustworthy and who isn't.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
H Stern and Amsterdam Sauer are the better known jewelry stores in South America. Probably not going to get scammed there, but don't expect any bargains either. I find their prices higher than in the US. Generally speaking, you never get bargains as a tourist, unless you have local friends or relatives to take you to stores tourists do not know about. I did not have time to go, but I heard H Stern has a nice color stone museum in Rio de Janeiro.

AN

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for steering me away from a probable bad purchase...

I was hoping there might a reputable store I could check out while here. Something similar to H stern, though I also heard that their prices (as well as pressure tactics) are very high. Oh well, I guess I'll be keeping my dollars in my pocket...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup, H Stern prices are no bargain: they are a very upscale jewelry store, with stores all over the world. You often see some of their more spectacular pieces on red carpets.

Amsterdam Sauer has, in my opinion, better coloured stones but it isn't any cheaper. I once saw a 10ct, velvety emerald in a ring that was to die for... However, don't miss their coloured stone museum in Ipanema. The alexandrites alone are worth the visit. H Stern also has a museum in their flagship store, just down the street but it focuses more on jewelry making. There is, however, a window into their workshop, so you can watch the bench people working, which is a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, I don't know good gem dealers in Rio. Now, if you were to come to São Paulo, then I could help.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An offer of assistance from Lady Disdain if you go to Sao Paulo?! There is no downside - you should do it!

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Lady D... it turns out I'm actually scheduled to fly back to Canada from SP! I may have some time in the city to explore (though unlikely) but it may still be worth getting recommendations from you! What would you recommend? Thanks!!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was in Uro Petro looking at Imperial topaz-pricey but pretty. I would skip all else.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ice empress|1384555675|3557294 said:
Lady D... it turns out I'm actually scheduled to fly back to Canada from SP! I may have some time in the city to explore (though unlikely) but it may still be worth getting recommendations from you! What would you recommend? Thanks!!

Woohoo! Let me know if you would care to meet somewhere.

I get a lot of stones at Itakolor (http://www.itakolor.com/itakolorcom/). They have a pretty good selection and are quite honest. I would focus on Brazilian stones (tourmaline, topaz, quartz, etc). I would stay away from ruby and sapphires (I seriously suspect some treatment on a lot Henry hadn't had tested). If you are looking for less expensive stones, Lazedio is a travelling gem salesman who might be in town. He meets up with clients with a small suitcase with stones, from melee and inexpensive cabs all the way to better gems.

And São Paulo has amazing restaurants of all types and budgets. You can eat very well here!

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1384561696|3557337 said:
ice empress|1384555675|3557294 said:

Woohoo! Let me know if you would care to meet somewhere.

I get a lot of stones at Itakolor (http://www.itakolor.com/itakolorcom/). They have a pretty good selection and are quite honest. I would focus on Brazilian stones (tourmaline, topaz, quartz, etc). I would stay away from ruby and sapphires (I seriously suspect some treatment on a lot Henry hadn't had tested). If you are looking for less expensive stones, Lazedio is a travelling gem salesman who might be in town. He meets up with clients with a small suitcase with stones, from melee and inexpensive cabs all the way to better gems.

And São Paulo has amazing restaurants of all types and budgets. You can eat very well here!

I will most certainly let you know if I end up in SP for any amount of time! It would be great to meet up!

p.s. I was thinking along the line of emeralds... like in/for earrings, for example.

ice empress

Shiny_Rock
Great article!! Tons of exciting things to see, do, and taste!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results