Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Else Here a QUILTer?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
I've recently gotten into quilting, since retirement. I've been teaching myself with youtube and the billions of helpful videos on there. I really enjoy playing with colors and fabrics! I've collected tablecloths for many years, so my love of beautiful fabrics runs deep. I don't do elaborate patterns (mostly squares and the occasional triangle), I just like to give pretty fabrics a place to live. I also don't do a lot of quilting of the sandwich, I just stitch in the ditch with nylon thread. I've only been doing it since July when I saw that first charm pack on ebay and I was smitten! It arrived (Los Cabos batiks by Moda) and then I had to learn what to do with it. Precuts are a miracle, compared to the old days; all that color-coordinated fabric makes it sooooo easy! :appl:

What I really like about quilting is that I don't have to keep the results! I tried pottery a few years back, but then I ended up with a ton of little pots everywhere. With quilting, I can tailor the fabric to the recipient and I can give it away when done. And they seem to like receiving it. Since word has gotten out, various family members have placed their Christmas "orders".

I'm having a lot of fun with it, and wondering if anyone else on PS is a quilter. :wavey: Points for pics! :wavey:

Funniest part is I never thought I'd be "a quilter", I just fell into it. How did you start?
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
Also interested in quilt/quilter stories and memories from those those that don't sew their own quilts. :wavey: :appl:
 

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 22, 2004
Messages
37,363
My mother used to; she quilted my blanket and made several indoor floor rugs. She use the scraps from sewing our clothes.
 

Puppmom

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
3,160
I've tried it. A friend showed me how to quilt years ago (she makes some AMAZING things!) and I started with a two print pattern quilt (blue gingham and eyelet with eyelet ruffle edge). I made that one for my now 13 year old nephew and it's been through him, my 11 year old and 7 year old nephews and my two boys. Honestly, that's the best part - seeing each child use it. Maybe it'll be passed down many generations! Although, with my skill level, I'm surprised it survived a single washing! I made another quilt for our good friend's daughter (now 10) - again in a two print pattern. I really liked doing it but it was very time consuming and I never did make another.

For me, batting was the biggest challenge.

I would love to see what you make!
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
Chrono said:
My mother used to; she quilted my blanket and made several indoor floor rugs. She use the scraps from sewing our clothes.
How the heck did she make rugs that lasted, out of clothes? :shock: That sounds so cool.
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,749
I have made quilts, but don't consider myself a quilter. My mother is a legit quilter. President of her guild for a few years back in the day. She is 74 now and still quilts every single day as long as she has time. She posts about it on Facebook often. I remember attending a lot of quilt shows with her when I was growing up, and wow, serious quilters make the most intricate works of art!

One of my mother's friends is in her 90s and still quilting. That friend's daughter also quilts and often does so with my mom. My mother gave quilt lessons to her friend's granddaughters as well. I know a couple men who quilt--they love the math of it and the relaxation aspect. It is a beautiful tradition that brings people together, creates something lasting, makes for great memories, and is something to pass down through the ages. My mom made me a quilt the first time when I was a baby--my daughter has that quilt now. She made another for me for my 14th birthday, another for my college graduation, and another for my first wedding. They are gifts that commemorate occasions, keep people warm, serve as art, etc.

When I was in high school my mom started a program with her quilt guild to get a quilt into every police car so it could be offered as warmth and comfort to those who needed it. I always thought that was such a beautiful thing to do.
 

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 26, 2007
Messages
3,811
I have done some quilting. Just easy stuff, like basic star and log cabin designs.
Place mats, pillows, table runners, pot holders. Mostly smaller projects.
I have even made a few jewelry rolls! So much fun!
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
puppmom|1474417112|4079035 said:
I've tried it. A friend showed me how to quilt years ago (she makes some AMAZING things!) and I started with a two print pattern quilt (blue gingham and eyelet with eyelet ruffle edge). I made that one for my now 13 year old nephew and it's been through him, my 11 year old and 7 year old nephews and my two boys. Honestly, that's the best part - seeing each child use it. Maybe it'll be passed down many generations! Although, with my skill level, I'm surprised it survived a single washing! I made another quilt for our good friend's daughter (now 10) - again in a two print pattern. I really liked doing it but it was very time consuming and I never did make another.

For me, batting was the biggest challenge.

I would love to see what you make!
That would be so cool to have it passed down! :appl: That's awesome that they lasted so long.

I have done extensive research on all this stuff, and they have stuff called Quilters Dream Batting that is amazeballs. I use the DreamPoly, low loft, because I don't want any shrinking or puffing, and it's a nice light weight for use here in the south. Plus, I can stitch up to 12 inches apart, :shock: and it still wont bunch in the finished quilt. They also make different weights of cotton, and it all has rave reviews, available on Amazon. If you ever decide to do more, give that a try, there's no bearding or bunching and it's really nice.

I really haven't done too much and they're not particularly complicated. I've included some pics. The cat quilt is done as a cutesy fun thing for my 20-something DD, twin size. The roses is for me, just made up my mind about binding today, so I hope to have that done in a couple of days. The blues and greens are all Lilly Pulitzer fabric, with little 2 inch squares, just pieced, still deciding on a border or not. I loved that one, it's just a tiny thing, about 25 x 35. The batik table runner was my second piece (after my first piece- a little placemat-sized learner quilt) but now the table is covered with quilt stuff, so not much use of that! Currently piecing a queen size and planning a king. I don't like to use patterns because I don't like to follow instructions, :bigsmile: I'd rather just wing it. I've been looking at lone star quilts and I'm considering doing one of those soon, after I get through the Christmas list from various relatives. :lol: I may be enjoying this just a little too much.

I'd love to see yours puppmom! Can you wrestle them away for a quick pic? Seriously, so cool they have lasted so long, it's very impressive.

_38311.jpg

_38315.jpg

_38316.jpg

_38317.jpg
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
monarch64|1474423628|4079075 said:
I have made quilts, but don't consider myself a quilter. My mother is a legit quilter. President of her guild for a few years back in the day. She is 74 now and still quilts every single day as long as she has time. She posts about it on Facebook often. I remember attending a lot of quilt shows with her when I was growing up, and wow, serious quilters make the most intricate works of art!

One of my mother's friends is in her 90s and still quilting. That friend's daughter also quilts and often does so with my mom. My mother gave quilt lessons to her friend's granddaughters as well. I know a couple men who quilt--they love the math of it and the relaxation aspect. It is a beautiful tradition that brings people together, creates something lasting, makes for great memories, and is something to pass down through the ages. My mom made me a quilt the first time when I was a baby--my daughter has that quilt now. She made another for me for my 14th birthday, another for my college graduation, and another for my first wedding. They are gifts that commemorate occasions, keep people warm, serve as art, etc.

When I was in high school my mom started a program with her quilt guild to get a quilt into every police car so it could be offered as warmth and comfort to those who needed it. I always thought that was such a beautiful thing to do.
If you've made a quilt, you're a quilter. I dub thee a quilter, monarch :halo: . You're right, I'm so amazed by stuff I see on the net, some are just crazy good. I kinda think of those ladies like I think of pro basketball players; we can't all be like that. I like your mother, just from those stories! What a great person she is.

I am finding quilting oddly compelling, it's almost strange how it sort of grips you and you just want to keep doing it. I think that's the way golf is for some people. I'd love to see some pics of you and your mother's work!
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
stracci2000|1474424161|4079080 said:
I have done some quilting. Just easy stuff, like basic star and log cabin designs.
Place mats, pillows, table runners, pot holders. Mostly smaller projects.
I have even made a few jewelry rolls! So much fun!
Wow, a star? :shock: I'm thinking of doing a star soon, but it looks kinda scary. I'm also trying to figure out what fabrics will work with that design. That could take a lot of time fabric browsing online. :naughty: I'd love to see your pictures of your projects! :appl:
 

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 7, 2014
Messages
7,023
iLander your quilts are beautiful!!! Please post more pictures.

One of the women I used to work with is a quilter. She used to teach classes on how to quilt. She was amazing. Whenever there was a baby shower in the office she would make a quilt for the baby. Her quilts were ALWAYS the favorite gifts.
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,749
Hey iLander! My mom is a pretty cool lady, glad you enjoyed my stories about her. Here are a few pictures of some of her quilts. My niece and brother are in the one of the star quilt--she entered that in the county fair this summer and won a blue ribbon. The backings of her quilts are always interesting as well so I posted the back of that one. Each of her quilts has a story, and the label is a very important component. She always writes something fancy in fabric pen so it lasts forever.

starquilt.jpg

starquiltback.jpg

quilt.jpg

snailtrail.jpg
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
Calliecake said:
iLander your quilts are beautiful!!! Please post more pictures.

One of the women I used to work with is a quilter. She used to teach classes on how to quilt. She was amazing. Whenever there was a baby shower in the office she would make a quilt for the baby. Her quilts were ALWAYS the favorite gifts.
Thank you, Calliecake! :) Just a beginner, but trying hard. I love that she made gifts that others enjoyed, that's really nice to know.
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
monarch64|1474462030|4079174 said:
Hey iLander! My mom is a pretty cool lady, glad you enjoyed my stories about her. Here are a few pictures of some of her quilts. My niece and brother are in the one of the star quilt--she entered that in the county fair this summer and won a blue ribbon. The backings of her quilts are always interesting as well so I posted the back of that one. Each of her quilts has a story, and the label is a very important component. She always writes something fancy in fabric pen so it lasts forever.
Your mom is amazing, monarch!!! :love: :love: Those are gorgeous quilts, and the last picture is so complicated, my brain can't even figure that one out. :twirl: Her quilts deserve blue ribbons! Your niece is adorable too! If you wouldn't mind asking her how she manages to keep the backs so straight?! :shock: I pin mine and they end up all crooked somehow. She's amazing. The label is a beautiful touch, I've never seen that before. Would you mind asked her what brand of fabric pen she uses? I'm looking for exactly that right now and I'd like one that lasts through all the washings. There are too many to choose from on my own.

Thank you, again, Monarch, what a treat to see those! :appl:
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,725
I am a quilter. Here is the project I am working on right now. It is a prize/gift for my bunco group. Almost finished quilting. I have made quite a few. All my kids have at least one, and my new grandson has a wall quilt and quite a few minky quilts. I have probably made 50-60. I started quilting in the late 80's when my kids were small. All the marks on the quilt top are quilting lines-they will disappear with water.

_5974.jpeg
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,725
Here is my beautiful daughter, Kellie, with Wyatt's wall quilt. I had a beautiful cut metal rod custom made to hang it on. It goes with the theme of her nursery and she picked the pattern out of the kagillion I own.

_5975.jpeg
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,749
Thanks for the compliments, iLander. I will be sure to pass those along to my mother, who will be tickled to hear them. I sent her a text earlier about the fabric pen brand. When I hear back I'll also ask her about getting the backings straight. I took out 2 of the quilts she made for me tonight and got some pics. The green/yellow/blue one she made in honor of my college graduation. It's 15 years old now, I think? Sadly I think I washed it too many times for the fabric pen she used back then to withstand because the label is blank as you will see in one photo. If you plan to label quilts and give them as heirloom items someday, tell the recipients to take proper care of them. My mom is of the mind that they are meant to be used and bring comfort, so I didn't take great pains to preserve mine. But there are ways to store them so they last forever, as well as the indelible ink on the labels. Obviously one could also embroider (or have embroidered) the label which would be certain never to fade. Anyway, here are some more photos.

ETA: oh for Pete's sake. Kenny is going to be pissed about these sideways pics if he sees this thread. I have no idea how to circumvent this issue other than getting out the DSLR and using that to take pics. My iPhone is incompatible with PS, I guess. Sorry about that.

Heard back from my mom re fabric pens: "PIGMA #05. Tip: Be sure it is a fresh one, should buy at a reputable source. If quilt will not be laundered, the label usually lasts for years, but if laundered, needs to be refreshed. I always press the back of the label a couple of hours after doing the printing/writing to set the ink. I use freezer paper to begin with, pressing it to the back of the label, leaving extra fabric around it. Peel it off from the freezer paper and then press the back of the label. TMI?"

Haha, she's so funny. Hope that helps. More pics to come. I'm sure they'll be sideways, so apologies in advance.

quilt6.jpg

quilt5.jpg

quilt4.jpg
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,749
This is the one my mom made for my first wedding. Um, I removed the label when I divorced, so no pics of it. I have also laundered this one a lot so it would have needed to be refreshed anyway. I didn't want to store or sell something my mom had worked so hard and so long on, so I've just been using it even though that marriage didn't last.

The pattern is called "bullseye" and on this variation the edges of each part of the circles are left raw so that they fray like a pair of cutoff jeans to provide additional softness and comfort. I think it's a beautiful pattern for a wedding quilt rather than the traditional double wedding ring pattern, because like partners in life, we soften and fade and fray at the edges over time. Quilts can be so symbolic!

Dang it. Sorry the second one is sideways. But you get the jist.

quilt3.jpg

quilt2.jpg
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,749
Lastly (and thanks for indulging me here), this is a quilt I made for my daughter when she was about a year old. The fabric was purchased from fatquartershop.com. I can't remember which brand, maybe Moda? They have really cute patterns if I'm remembering the brand correctly. I purchased it as a "Layer Cake" which provided me enough pre-cut squares to make 2 of these (because you always have to have a backup with kids, right?!) and bought yardage of a coordinating pattern for the backing. I found the pattern and tutorial on Pinterest and will try to link to all of those because these are super easy to make and it's a quick process. I spent maybe 3 evenings making a single one. The edges on the quilt top are left raw (you just sew wrong sides together) and then you clip into the seam allowance to sort of shred them so they soften and fray during laundering. They make great small baby quilts or you can make them as large as you want. To quilt them, you wait until the top, quilting and backing are all pinned together and then machine stitch each quilt square like a Greek key design which makes things really easy because all you have to worry about is sewing straight lines and pivoting the quilt under the raised presser foot when you reach the end of a straight line. This is why I say I'm not really a quilter--I don't cut out pieces, or hand quilt, or even coordinate my own fabrics. I just sew pieces together!

:bigsmile:

aquilt3.jpg

aquilt2.jpg

aquilt1.jpg
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,725
I have made that bullseye quilt too-King size. Man, that was a worker. The thing is so heavy. It is sitting on a shelf in my closet because it needs repair. Some of the flannel frayed and came undone after washing. One of my boys is begging me for it. It is pretty soft and heavy and that's what he likes.
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,749
luv2sparkle|1474508984|4079424 said:
I have made that bullseye quilt too-King size. Man, that was a worker. The thing is so heavy. It is sitting on a shelf in my closet because it needs repair. Some of the flannel frayed and came undone after washing. One of my boys is begging me for it. It is pretty soft and heavy and that's what he likes.
King size quilts ARE heavy! Some people do like the weight of sleeping under them. I have a Pottery Barn pickstitch KS quilt and while I don't care for the heft of it, my husband absolutely loves that it's so heavy.
 

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 7, 2014
Messages
7,023
Monnie, WOW! The quilts your mom made are beautiful. She is so talented!

Luv2sparkle, I love the quilt you made your daughter.
 

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Messages
991
Me! Me! I'm a quilter too! :D I've been a knitter for YEARS, however with living in the desert AND running on a higher temperature (I'm almost always warm) knitted items aren't as useful for me. And I'm pretty selfish, so I started quilting. I've been playing at it for a few years, and have made several quilts. I've never had a big quilting machine, so my early quilts I did on my trusty brother machine. Including a king sized quilt as you go for my dad. He loves it and I made him cry on Christmas morning :twisted: Now I'm into handquilting. I love it! Yes it's slow, but I've learned that I am a process crafter. I love the process. Currently I'm finishing a baby quilt for a friend of mine. I took a class a few years ago (still haven't finished the project we started :wall: ), but am doing hand quilting with embroidery thread rather than thin thread. I figure if I'm going to spend time quilting something, I want to SEE my stitches! :D
 

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 12, 2005
Messages
17,749
Calliecake|1474510714|4079433 said:
Monnie, WOW! The quilts your mom made are beautiful. She is so talented!

Luv2sparkle, I love the quilt you made your daughter.
Thank you, Callie. I really admire her talents. We are alike in many ways, but I get easily overwhelmed and and she is far more ambitious and willing to take on big and difficult projects than I. The musical talent genes in our family skipped her and hit me, though, so there's that. Haha. :lol:
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
luv2sparkle said:
I am a quilter. Here is the project I am working on right now. It is a prize/gift for my bunco group. Almost finished quilting. I have made quite a few. All my kids have at least one, and my new grandson has a wall quilt and quite a few minky quilts. I have probably made 50-60. I started quilting in the late 80's when my kids were small. All the marks on the quilt top are quilting lines-they will disappear with water.
WOOOOOOWWWWW! :love: :love: :love: Those are some amazing quilts, luv2sparkle! I can't believe you've made so many, too! :shock: That's a lot of love/time/talent. I'm impressed. :appl:

What are you using for disappearing marks on your quilts?
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
monarch! :wavey:

I love that graduation quilt! All are so beautiful, and the quilt you made for your son is adorable. I'm pretty sure "putting together pieces of fabric" is the definition of all quilters, especially me, so you're still a quilter in my book. Using precuts is just efficiency. :) Aren't the frayed edge quilts called rag quilts? Seems a denigrating name for something so nice.

Edited to add this joke that popped into my head: "How can you tell if your mom thinks the marriage won't last? If she only bastes your wedding quilt." :lol: :lol:
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
Cozystitches|1474512267|4079444 said:
Me! Me! I'm a quilter too! :D I've been a knitter for YEARS, however with living in the desert AND running on a higher temperature (I'm almost always warm) knitted items aren't as useful for me. And I'm pretty selfish, so I started quilting. I've been playing at it for a few years, and have made several quilts. I've never had a big quilting machine, so my early quilts I did on my trusty brother machine. Including a king sized quilt as you go for my dad. He loves it and I made him cry on Christmas morning :twisted: Now I'm into handquilting. I love it! Yes it's slow, but I've learned that I am a process crafter. I love the process. Currently I'm finishing a baby quilt for a friend of mine. I took a class a few years ago (still haven't finished the project we started :wall: ), but am doing hand quilting with embroidery thread rather than thin thread. I figure if I'm going to spend time quilting something, I want to SEE my stitches! :D
I also have a brother machine! I've stuffed 2 almost queen sized quilts through that thing, so far. I am planning to do a super simple king size for hubby for Christmas, just squares and sashing, using the Best of Morris collection by Moda. I hope to actually quilt it in 3 sections then join each section as though it was a giant quilt block. I am going slow, teaching myself a new step with each quilt. I can't believe you're handstitching, so dedicated. That would make me crazy, I have a need for speed. :sun:
 

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Joined
May 23, 2010
Messages
6,731
luv2sparkle|1474508984|4079424 said:
I have made that bullseye quilt too-King size. Man, that was a worker. The thing is so heavy. It is sitting on a shelf in my closet because it needs repair. Some of the flannel frayed and came undone after washing. One of my boys is begging me for it. It is pretty soft and heavy and that's what he likes.
Flannel does sound sooo cozy . . . :) That bullseye pattern is crazy hard. I don't think I'll be able to sew circles for a really long time. Gotta work up to that! :???:
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,725
iLander|1474596560|4079757 said:
luv2sparkle|1474508984|4079424 said:
I have made that bullseye quilt too-King size. Man, that was a worker. The thing is so heavy. It is sitting on a shelf in my closet because it needs repair. Some of the flannel frayed and came undone after washing. One of my boys is begging me for it. It is pretty soft and heavy and that's what he likes.
Flannel does sound sooo cozy . . . :) That bullseye pattern is crazy hard. I don't think I'll be able to sew circles for a really long time. Gotta work up to that! :???:

The bullseye quilt is actually really easy. The pattern I used is from Country Threads book~Quilts from Aunt Amy. It is on the cover. You just start with one 9 inch square and sew 3 circles on top of it~from 8, 6, 4 inch squares-free hand by folding the piece into 4th. After you have done that you cut the whole 9 inch square into 4 pieces and then sew the pieces back together to form one block. At least that is how mine was done.

I have been quilting a really long time but I have taken a break one time for a few years. After a traumatic event in life it took me a while to get my mojo back. But even still now most of my quilts are for gifts. I average about 5-6 a year

The blue wash out pen is for quilting lines on the pumpkins and stars. The paper on the sides is Golden Threads paper. I sometimes mark a design and then quilt through it. It works well but I used a white chalk pencil to mark the lines on the bottom. I can fit a quilting design on the paper first and make sure it fits and that I like it. Once my brain and hands have got the flow then I don't need the paper anymore.
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,725
I am just starting to work with wool from Primitive Gatherings. They opened a store not far from me (at least california far, we drive everywhere here). I love Lisa Bongean's work. Her main store is in WI. If you ever get a chance to go or see her booth at a show, it is crazy good. One of these days I am going to get to one of her workshops. Have you gone to many quilt shows, Ilander? If you are interested in an amazing over the top experience there is a HUGE quilt show in Houston the first of November. It is the big mama and boy is it a sight to see. DH and I are going for the second time. We have a big one out here in January called Road to California, and I have gone to that one since the very first show. I thought it would be about the same size but I was so wrong. It makes Road look small. The photo below is not even half of the vendor mall and there is another whole hall for just quilts. Pretty fun.

img_12761.jpg
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    Vintage OEC Bracelet
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    June’s Birthstone Trinity
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020
    Memorial Day Jewelry 2020

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top