shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else have problems with Platinum solder "tarnishing"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

amy28

Rough_Rock
My fiancee and I took my BEAUTIFUL 2.03 H SI1 to a local guy here who does all of my fiancee's dad's jewelry stuff. We picked up the ring about a month ago and it was just lovely. I became a ring-cleaning freak after reading this board and bounced between a cup of hot water and a little dish detergent then a quick blow dry (as recommended by several here) and a jewelry cleaner I got at Walgreens that is essentially ammonia (says on the label "safe for gold and platinum").

Well about three weeks ago, I noticed what appeared to be a little dirt inside the prong of my setting, right where it meets the ring. This is the place it is soldered. I continue to clean it daily and it continues to get worse. One one side of the setting, it turned almost a copper color in the groove. Now granted, only I can see it and unless I would point it out to people with the ring off my hand in bright light, no one else could see it. BUT, I knew it was there. And if it got that bad after only a month, what would it look like in the future?

So we took it back to the man who did the setting. He told me it was from the cleaner I was using. He said I should not use detergent ever because it discolors the solder, which is lighter than the platinum (or some scientific crap like that). He said if I had to clean it with something, I should use a product called "Top Job" and that even jewelry cleaner was not always good because if it gets old, it can cause the same problem. He cleaned it in his crazy machine and it came out looking like new after five minutes.

Now, I would like to know if anyone else out there with a platinum ring and setting has had a discoloration problem? And if so, have they told you what caused it? The jeweler told me this will probably keep happening if it comes in contact with detergent.

Any help would be appreciated as my very sweet fiancee just wants me to be happy with the ring and this little issue is nagging at me!

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Very odd! It could be gold solder that is turning a different color. I have been told by several jewelers that if you don't use platinum solder, this can occur. I would have the ring rhodium plated, and that will be an inexpensive (although I feel that the jeweler should have suggested that and pay for it) solution to your problem. You are not cleaning it incorrectly. The jeweler simply used a less pricey solder and is covering his butt.
10.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have several platinum rings. I use ammonia and water, Windex, a drop of Dawn in warm water, what ever is handy and easiest at the time to clean my jewelry. I've never had the solder to turn.

I think Carat is on to something. Possibly platinum solder was not used on your ring. You can get it rhodium flashed to help with the problem. Rhodium flashing wears off and has to be redone periodically.

You might check locally to find a Platinum Smith to take a look at your ring. While lots of smiths do good and even great work in gold, platinum is a whole different art. And it can be tricky to find a good Platinum Smith. F&I suggested in another thread to try searching through the local Arts Council if you don't find one through a jeweler. That's how she found the smith she uses.
1.gif

amy28

Rough_Rock
I totally though the guy was full of it when he was telling me not to clean it with detergent or jewelry cleaner. So it is possible that the solder used "looks" platinum but is not? Because once he cleaned it, it did remove all traces of the coppery color.

curious

Rough_Rock
I think he used white gold to solder your ring.

The reason: I have a PLAT ring that's head was changed. The ring started to turn copperish in between the joints where it was soldered. The jeweler's reponse -- we used white gold to solder the head b/c otherwise the side stones would have burned from the high heat needed to solder PLAT. I was really angry. The solution: I had the ring rhodiumed and now it looks white again. However, I don't know how long it will last.

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Platinum does take high heat to weld or solder and the stones would have to be removed to be done properly, if the solder point is near the diamonds. It should have been explained prior to the work being done so you knew the options. Hindsight is 20/20. Sizing at the base of the shank can be done properly without removing the stones but it is tougher to work with platinum and some bench jewelers opt for white gold solder. Seems ashame to rhodium a ring to hide this. Rhodium won't last long on the shank but won't see much wear near the head. Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results