shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone else going natural, non-toxic?

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all! A few years ago my radar started going off about what is in the stuff we use to clean, and our cosmetics and hygiene items. Since then I've been slowly making changes to what I use. I'm finding my skin is clearer, we hardly get sick, my moods are better, my inflammation is down, etc. etc.

I'd love to hear from any of you on similar journey! What are you using, recipes, effects, etc!

I'll start:

Shampoo: http://bubbleandbee.com/organic-peppermint-tea-tree-shampoo/
Conditioner: water & white vinegar rinse
Deodorant: http://bubbleandbee.com/orange-vanilla-pit-putty-organic-deodorant-cream/ and this to freshen up if I need it, which is not often bc the deodorant rocks http://bubbleandbee.com/design-a-spray/
Facial Cleanser: http://bubbleandbee.com/organic-facial-cleanser-cool-cucumber/ If I'm feeling lazy, I just massage jojoba oil into my face and wipe off with a soft cloth (I only wear blush and shadow.)
Moisturizer: My sister gets me this stuff from a local woman who makes it. It's amazing - only one other moisturizer from Paula Begoun has ever worked for me so that tells you how rockin' this stuff is!
Toothpaste: I make my own now. Organic refined coconut oil, xylitol, baking soda, and either peppermint or sweet orange essential oil drops. Can't believe what the ingredients in commercial toothpaste do (contribute TO cavities, cancer, bad breath, etc.). I struggle with bad breath despite few cavities, frequent brushing, rinsing and flossing, and quitting coffee. Once I started using this recipe, my bad breath is few and far between, if at all.

Bleach & Softener: white vinegar, just pour directly into respective receptacles
Countertop & table cleaner: white vinegar & water, in a giant spray bottle from Target. Leave on for five minutes to disinfect.
Window & glass cleaner: microfiber window cleaning cloth and water
Butcher block cleaner: white vinegar. I keep it on the counter in this, and just pour it right onto the butcher block. Let it sit, then wipe off. https://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-Stoneware-Dispensing-Bottle/dp/B005JLFBX6/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1465920927&sr=1-4&keywords=rachel+ray+oil+and+vinegar+set

Allergy medicine: local raw honey (We all have seasonal allergies but DH is the only one who still takes meds for it, because he forgets to take a small spoonful a day when he starts getting symtoms.)
Cold medicine: local raw honey (Two days of sniffles and then we're all good again! Never turns into more.)
Ear infection: Warm up a bean pouch and hold against ear. Garlic oil drops also sometimes help.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I stopped buying Soft Scrub cleaner years ago when I found out it may contain those hard micro-beads that build up in the ocean gyres and gets swallowed by fish.
It also costs more than Fancy Colored Diamonds. :nono:

Now I use plain old baking soda to clean my kitchen sink and bathroom (and some regular bleach when needed).

Yucky stovetop?
I spray water on it, let it soak several minutes, then wipe 99% of the gunk away with paper towels.
Often a second repeat is needed.
Rarely will I need a bit of Windex, or a razor blade.
Water is an amazing solvent, and it's nearly free and non polluting.

I dry glass windows with old newspapers, before tossing them into the recycling bin.

I HATE the smell of vinegar so I won't use it for cleaning! :knockout:
I can't even eat salad dressing, mayo, ketchup, mustard ... anything the reeks of vinegar. UGH!

I don't use moisturizer, conditioner or any special facial cleanser ... just regular bar soap.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My go to all-purpose cleaner is 1/3 white vinegar, 1/3 peroxide, 1/3 water and a tablespoon of anti icky poo (I have pets) in a spray bottle. I use it on floors, windows, counters and even wood furniture. I still use bleach and other toxic substances periodically when special circumstances arise -- for instance, one of my kittens came from the breeder with giardia and bleach is the only substance that can kill the eggs.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Kenny, you're really sensitive to it! I'm impressed you can detect it in condiments.

I'd be in trouble if I couldn't handle the smell of vinegar! I use it for so much now. We all were sensitive to it for the first week I started using it around the kitchen, but after that we all stopped noticing it, for the most part.

Matata, I haven't started using peroxide in anything, but it keeps coming up. I think it's in a couple of mouthwash recipes I am hoping to try.

Oh yeah, I use Ecos or Mrs. Meyers laundry detergent now, too. And add A&H Washing Soda to every load. Using just a tablespoon of detergent for one load took some getting used to, but we have the best family-owned appliance store and the son kept telling me that no matter what the labels say, a tablespoon is all you need!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Check out soapnuts-I've used them in laundry for years and I cloth diaper :)

Dryer sheets make me sick so a feel wool dryer balls cuts down on dry time, static and add a few essential oil drops to the ball and you've got a nice smell too :) I'm usually to lazy but lavender is a popular choice.

Also check out e cloths. Similar to norex but cheaper. Silver threading in the textile cloth, so no chemicals needed for cleaning. They've got a mop, a glass cloth which my cleaning lady business aunt said saved her hours a week when she switched, a body line etc.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've heard of Norex but never tried it-thanks for the tip on ecloths.

I love the smell of vinegar. 'Course I love the smell of bleach too..bleach smell makes JD's face swell up and he gets congested. He detests the smell of vinegar too. buuuut I do the cleaning so I use what I want. I used vinegar for pretty much everything for a while, but noticed the toilet bowl didn't look as clean when using vinegar for a length of time..any ideas for that?

I'd like to cut down on the products I have under the kitchen sink for general cleaning and in the linen closet for the bathroom. One of my friends has been posting on FB about using essential oils for cleaning.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't need any Essential oils with ecloths but you can still use them. Citrus ones are popular as is a cinnamon clove blend (theives).

I do use a theives mixture but only recently bc I've washed my ecloths for the 1000x and I like a bit of extra with toddlers running around.

Rainy if you'd share your toothpaste recipe we are out and I've got everything here but haven't risksd a recipe yet. Hubs tries new things but I try not to strike out to keep him opened minded and happy. He adores my homemade oats milk honey and Shea butter soap and also the shaving cream.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
vintage, it's so easy!

1/2 cup Organic Coconut Oil (unrefined if you want a hint of the coconut flavor; refined if you don't)
1 tablespoon baking soda
2 tablespoons xylitol, finely ground
20-30 drops of your favorite flavor essential oil (I use peppermint or sweet orange)

Mix really well with a fork.

I tried fractionated coconut oil (stays liquid) and put it in a dropper bottle, but this was just too messy.

The recipe originally called for 2T of baking soda, but that was way too salty for my family. So I reduced it and am planning to slowly increase it with each batch as my they get more accustomed to it.

I use this mortar and pestle to grind the xylitol (which you can supposedly add more of if you want it sweeter, or try Stevia which will be sweeter, but won't have the benefits to your teeth that xylitol does).
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZPSVXIU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have tried different containers, too. Right now I am using these, which I find are working pretty well even when it's warmer and it liquifies more, as well as when it's colder and the paste solidifies more.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E1GD6SQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh, and make sure you spit into a cup, not the sink, or you risk really clogging up your lines since it will re-solidify in them!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
with some things sure, I find it to be totally worth it. But I'll be the first to say not everything. I use baking soda in the wash. I get the big bags at BJ's in the baking aisle. This also helps me to cut back on soap. I don't do dryer sheets, smell-wise it interferes with my perfume.

I don't keep any form of xylitol in the house because of the dog. Dogs are extremely sensitive to it, it doesn't take much to kill them.
I use coconut oil though for both of us. I also oil pull which IMO is excellent. (I use sesame oil)

I'm with Kenny on vinegar for cleaning. Nope nope and nope. I will use lemons more often than not, but not vinegar. I hate using bleach but will sometimes on the kitchen sink in small amounts. in the dishwasher I use 7th generation soap but I use the smallest amount I can get away with. On really large and dirty loads I will put a half of teaspoon of bleach in.

I like apple cider vinegar as a final rinse on hair as it will close the cuticle. Its stinky (especially the unfiltered kind), but a tablespoon to a gallon of water isn't the worst thing, and the smell does dissipate (I will also use some EO's in the water to hide the smell a bit) and I love how silky my hair is after it air dries.

Also, adding a teaspoon of salt to conditioner is also nice especially for curly hair as it helps smooth the hair (also nice to use if you have hard water!!). please look it up before trying but love love LOVE what it does to my hair! I don't use this method all the time, just when I remember...lol

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like PiperWai deodorant which I heard about on Shark Tank. Works really well but I wish it had a more traditional application process.
http://www.piperwai.com/ Sometimes there is a backlog if your order directly from the PiperWai website. I was able to get it quicker through my reseller vitamin source, luckyvitamin.com

I use jojoba oil from The Jojoba Company as a moisturizer when I don't need sunscreen.

Like others here, I use white vinegar for laundry and some other cleaning projects.

I like the Environmental Working Group's Skin Deep guide for evaluating cosmetic products http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/,, cleaning products http://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners,, and pesticides in produce. https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/

BeekeeperBetty

Shiny_Rock
Premium
This was me about 5 years ago. All natural cleaners, vinegar, essential oils, you name it. But after a couple of years I noticed all our clothes were dingy and everything had this layer of grime on it. We moved and I bought a bunch of commercial cleaners for the clean out and the layer of grime that came off of everything was beyond disgusting. It was so gross. It all happened so slowly that I didn't notice that it even changed the color of my counter tops. I thought it was cleaning great, but as it turned out, it wasn't cleaning at all.

I stuck with the home made soap, however, that stuff does really work. And it's easy to make.

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
Not totally. I use conventional cleaners for bathrooms just because my bathroom gets moldy, and I use Windex for windows and the stovetop, but for my rabbit's cage, I will use vinegar because I don't feel comfortable using bleach in proximity to where he will be. I do use unscented/dye-free laundry detergent too, I think it's All detergent that is just stripped down. It's just cheaper than Dreft. My boyfriend is very sensitive skin and gets rashes from skin products, and I get headaches from scents, so it works for us.

I use conventional shampoo and body wash too, and I only wear mascara. As far as diet, I don't eat meat and I eat probably half organic and half non-organic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results